I love it but I don't want to play it again.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Mass Effect 2, and Fallout New Vegas DLC: Sierra Madre.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A majority of the New Super Mario Brothers Series. Once you beat them, there's not much point in going back unless you haven't played in a long time, and have nostalgia for it. Or you like getting collectibles. This is especially true for the one on the 3DS. Then again, I never played the Wii U version despite owning it at one point.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That's actually most games for me. Once through is enough, particularly if there's not a different experience to be had with subsequent playthroughs, i.e.; RPGs where you can play through once as a warrior then again as a mage, or games with decision trees that lead to different missions or endings. There are very few linear games that are "so good," I feel the need to experience them more than once.

But INSIDE is probably my most notable exceptions to my rule. There are no choices to make or things to do differently during another playthrough, but it was just so captivating, I had to go back... about 10 times.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
If there is any good news to this is the negative stigma sorta dying with the gaming public. It's mainly with smaller titles like Streets of Rage 4 and most indie games, but it's a start.

I never understood that. I know whenever someone gave me that justification, he or she could almost never back it up other than gaming website, YT personality, said so or just cuz. Learn to think for yourselves.

Yep. Exactly why I have not touched an AC game since II & Brotherhood. I met a guy who loves Valhalla, and I never got to the why, but even he admitted it should have been it's own game, instead of another game in the AC franchise.
I can’t even force myself to play through the first one, after three separate installations and attempts. Also bought Black Flag out of so much good word of mouth but other than playing pirate ships idk if I’d have the patience for that either considering the other gameplay.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I can’t even force myself to play through the first one, after three separate installations and attempts. Also bought Black Flag out of so much good word of mouth but other than playing pirate ships idk if I’d have the patience for that either considering the other gameplay.
Yes, Black Flag is fun for the pirate stuff. When the game remembers about the precursor stuff, and the Creed/Templar conflict, the quality tanks considerably. I make no defenses for that part of the game. But, the ship stuff is really fun. If that's not enough to let you muscle through the rest, I totally understand.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Neverwinter Nights - One of favourites (as you can tell by my avatar) but I've played through everything WAAAY too many times. Get keen to jump back in and get bored half an hour in.

Bloodborne - All the areas I know are going to frustrate me come to mind and then I couldn't be bothered. Goes for any Soulsborne really.

Any online game I've sunk stupid hours into. The burnout always comes on strong.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Any online game I've sunk stupid hours into. The burnout always comes on strong.
Yeah I find myself losing interest in MMOs really fast these days too. Haven't loaded one up in a couple years I think. That might change, as I tend to go through phases of what type of games interest me. So in a year or 2, I might swing back to being really into an MMO of some variation. Currently though it's single player games, as it's primarily been for most of my life.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Yes, Black Flag is fun for the pirate stuff. When the game remembers about the precursor stuff, and the Creed/Templar conflict, the quality tanks considerably. I make no defenses for that part of the game. But, the ship stuff is really fun. If that's not enough to let you muscle through the rest, I totally understand.
Black Flag really is a game of two halves.

Once you get your ship, and you are free to explore the seas and the islands, you can spend hours at a time hunting ships, and finding treasure, and the game is a lot of fun.

Then you get a story mission. The game tells you to dock your ship in a city, and suddenly all of the AC bullshit bubbles back the the surface, and you are told to tail some random guy. Oh yes, I forget that my Pirate game was an Assassin's Creed game all along.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011

Once you get your ship, and you are free to explore the seas and the islands, you can spend hours at a time hunting ships, and finding treasure, and the game is a lot of fun.

Then you get a story mission. The game tells you to dock your ship in a city, and suddenly all of the AC bullshit bubbles back the the surface, and you are told to tail some random guy. Oh yes, I forget that my Pirate game was an Assassin's Creed game all along.
I feel like I might be the only person in the world who actually liked the Assassin's Creed game that came with the pirate game. And my tolerance for Assassin's Creed ran out with Syndicate; still love 2, Brotherhood and Black Flag, but those are the only ones, and I haven't played any of them in forever.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Pretty much yeah. I honestly don't remember any of it at all. My memories of BF are the piratey stuff, and the sea shanties. One of the coolest bits was sailing off at night, towards the moon reflecting on the seas, while my crew started to sing my favorite shanty. It was fantastic.

I feel like I might be the only person in the world who actually liked the Assassin's Creed game that came with the pirate game. And my tolerance for Assassin's Creed ran out with Syndicate; still love 2, Brotherhood and Black Flag, but those are the only ones, and I haven't played any of them in forever.
For me it's just a case of nothing about it stuck with me. It was just more of the same without any real payoff worth anything that I recall. I mean I'm sitting here, writing now as I type this, and I'm trying to recall a single detail about the BF Creed/Templar stuff...and I'm drawing a total blank. The ONLY detail that sticks, is that the protag eventually decides the Creed's goal is worth his time, and stops being just in it for the money. That's it. But, the names of any of the key figures, what their plots and machinations were....nothing. The AC 2 stuff, I can broadly remember the main thrust of what you were doing and why. AC 1 I remember fairly well, again in broad strokes. But as the games continued, and it became increasingly clear Ubisoft didn't really give any fucks about the future plot line, and were just using it as a framing device, I also stopped giving any fucks about paying attention to any of it. Because I knew it wouldn't add up to anything.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Seems like it should’ve just been a new IP spin-off or something, dropping the AC moniker and leaving it as a straight up pirate game. A cool twist would’ve been being able to choose your course as a pirate and who/what territory you align with, and maybe your crew mutinies if you’re an a-hole.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Seems like it should’ve just been a new IP spin-off or something, dropping the AC moniker and leaving it as a straight up pirate game. A cool twist would’ve been being able to choose your course as a pirate and who/what territory you align with, and maybe your crew mutinies if you’re an a-hole.
Well, Ubisoft did start working on a non-AC Pirate game called Skull and Bones, that was revealed in 2017, resurfaced in 2018, and then *vanished*

Looks to have been a PvPvE sort of game, when it was last shown off, and very much so looks like it was built off of AC4.

Apparently it hasn't been cancelled, and is supposedly due sometime this year/next year.

Who knows what it'll look like, when/if we see it again.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I enjoyed some of the platforming sequences and such(the ancient temple in Toulon) and even the part prior to you getting the ship is fine. The tailing missions aren't even that bad but there's far too many of them.

I liken it to that belief some people have that only god can be perfect, so all human endeavours must have a flaw and that's why there's so many tailing missions in AC:Black Flag.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Well, Ubisoft did start working on a non-AC Pirate game called Skull and Bones, that was revealed in 2017, resurfaced in 2018, and then *vanished*

Looks to have been a PvPvE sort of game, when it was last shown off, and very much so looks like it was built off of AC4.

Apparently it hasn't been cancelled, and is supposedly due sometime this year/next year.

Who knows what it'll look like, when/if we see it again.
It pops up every so often. I heard something about it about a year or so ago before it vanished back into the mists of the ocean yet again. Apparently they overhauled it or something, setting back production.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I really liked the Souls games. Demon's Souls being the last beaten game. And while there is plenty more to be seen with ng+, i just have no interest. I dunno why.

Bloodborne ive beaten 4 times and platinumed and honestly ill probably also never play it again. But the Souls games dont even get me that far.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I really liked the Souls games. Demon's Souls being the last beaten game. And while there is plenty more to be seen with ng+, i just have no interest. I dunno why.

Bloodborne ive beaten 4 times and platinumed and honestly ill probably also never play it again. But the Souls games dont even get me that far.
Same. I guess if I ever have an urge to replay BB I'll try NG+ but I've yet to play any Souls game more then once because I feel like I've seen pretty much everything and they took 70+ hours to get through the first time(maybe it's much faster on 2nd/3rd tries)?

Granted, I can count games I've NG+ on like one hand and I'm not sure NIER AUTOMATA counts since it's designed around playing through the first half twice and then going onto the 2nd half in Route C

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Same. I guess if I ever have an urge to replay BB I'll try NG+ but I've yet to play any Souls game more then once because I feel like I've seen pretty much everything and they took 70+ hours to get through the first time(maybe it's much faster on 2nd/3rd tries)?
To each their own, but I don't understand this mindset. There' so much to be gained from the experience of a first Souls run that makes subsequent runs very satisfactory, i.e.: knowing better; doing better, having the confidence to minimize armor and maximize damage, trying different tactics, going into boss fights that gave you fits the first time that bend to your knowledge the next time, etc. One playthrough of Dark Souls feels like only taking a bite of food at an all you can eat buffet! But if you're content you got "the gist" from a single playthrough and that was enough, cheers to you.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To each their own, but I don't understand this mindset. There' so much to be gained from the experience of a first Souls run that makes subsequent runs very satisfactory, i.e.: knowing better; doing better, having the confidence to minimize armor and maximize damage, trying different tactics, going into boss fights that gave you fits the first time that bend to your knowledge the next time, etc. One playthrough of Dark Souls feels like only taking a bite of food at an all you can eat buffet! But if you're content you got "the gist" from a single playthrough and that was enough, cheers to you.
It's not that different from how a lot of people play games. You have a lot of one and done. You won't believe how many people I've met that played God of War, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, or Bayonetta, then beat them once and never touched it again. Never even trying with a harder difficulty. With Ninja Gaiden though, it's kind of understandable. Especially if we're talking about vanilla 2 on 360. That's not getting into the people who don't even bother finishing the game they got.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
See I'm not one for major tactics change-ups in hard ass games like that. I find a playstyle that works for me and I stick with it. I don't find it interesting or fun in forcing myself to play in a way that might be different but I don't like, so I don't much see the point. I know there are shitloads of ways to play a Souls game, but I just don't care enough to experiment like that especially when I have a far too neglected backlog as it is.