I need a good Training FPS

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
Ok first of all no I don't mean for real life, I know the vast difference between pulling a trigger and pushing a button in a game. Second I only really play PC anymore, so I need suggestions for that.

It boils down to this, my GF just got into FPS games. Borderlands in fact which doesn't really teach you how to shoot. Although competent enough to head shot, she all in all sucks when it comes to FPS. I want to find a game that might teach her more of the ropes. All I can think of is Call of Duty 4 MW with the training mission in the start.

I like to watch her play, but every time I shake my head and sigh when she doesn't strafe and just stands there getting shot down. So any games that can sort of help improve FPS gaming skills?

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Serious Sam. If that's not an FPS trainer I don't know what is.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
In general, I'd say Perfect Dark for the N64. The variety of guns, bots, and maps makes for the crafting of virtually any given situation one could encounter. For the PC specifically, I'd recommend Serious Sam or one of the original Quake games.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
TF2 can show you all kinds of different weapon proficiencies, tactics, flanking, team composition.

Also hats.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
Single-player mode?

I mean, the only way you can really get better is to play. If you want multiplayer, Call of Duty Blacks Ops and Unreal Tournament (all of them) have bot matches, which help out a lot. Otherwise, if she's not gonna be a competitive-multiplayer frag-head, yeah, just play the game, I guess...?

Well, maybe Portal could actually work out, because that is getting use to controlling from a first-person perspective and aiming. In fact, you have to be pretty good with your reflexes to to execute some puzzles, and requires quick thinking on your feet, which is also a virtue in FPS. And finally, of course its in an environment where you won't get gunned down by bands of marauders, so its moving at her own pace. Portal won't teach her everything, but it will get the basics down for her pretty damn well.

jopomeister

Apr 7, 2010
I've gotta say, CoD4:MW is a pretty good idea, just a run-through of that game on easy->normal->hard makes you into a competent FPS player. I'd also suggest Half-Life 2, as that has a pretty decent difficulty scale.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Quake 3, Quake 4, Quake Live, UT99, UT2004, Warsow are good examples of FPS that rely on movement and aim.

[Edited]

After reading the topic properly (Sorry for not doing that the first time, I tend to do that).

I don't think a 'training FPS' is something you girlfriend will need. At the end of the day, the more you do something, the more you learn and improve. If she keeps playing the game that she wants to play, help out as much as you can and let her learn from experience. Don't shake your head or laugh at her efforts, encourage her and let her have fun :)

Note: This is just some random rant I started writing until I discovered it had no relevance to the thread, so I'll post it here because it seems a shame to delete it.
It is my honest and humble opinion that as someone who has almost always played 'hardcore' FPS games such as Quake and UT, that playing games such as those in a serious, competitive manner will gain a deep understanding into the mechanics going on in the game and how to take full advantage of them.

I have often said, not necessarily here, mind, that "If you can get to do a decent standard of skill in UT, Quake and similar, you will be very, very good at games like COD". This is perhaps, an elitist viewpoint, but after playing with a great many top draw players who have won many money tournaments in UT2004 (and getting my ass completely and utterly ravaged by such people) it only helps promote such a belief.

Here ends a pointless rant, not sure what I was getting at to be honest, but it's 2AM so I guess it could be sleep deprivation <3

In short, my girlfriend would not be too appreciative if I suddenly started trying to teach her to dodge jump, do map jumps and tricks and to 1v1 pro players that have been playing for years in UT just to play Borderlands in co-op :D

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
As hard as it might be for you to watch, remember that strafing and shooting, something veterans might take for granted, is a skill that develops with time. Hell, first person shooters in general can be a nightmare for anyone who didn't start with them at a young age.

She is probably best off if she tries something like Halo, Half-life, or Bioshock on single player, as they all generally require a good combination of shooting and movement without being super twitchy. Once she gets the hang of them, simply have her increase difficulty or get her to then try UT, Quake, or Counterstrike. It will be a gradual process.

Again, if you're expecting her to jump through the air and switch to a sniper rifle and do a 360 degree turn no scope head shot, lower your standards and give her time. If you pressure her too much, she might decide that she doesn't want to deal with them.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I will be a Douche and say Doom, or Wolfenstien. but honestly something with a decent training section MW either of the 2 and probably do the first mission as well just to 'get your eye in'.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
well so far most suggestions have been for online games. seems a bit stupid, seeing as there isn't a learning curve online, there's just be good, or die. and CSS is hard online. when i first started, i sucked, a lot. if it wasn't for my friends pestering me to keep at it, i would have quit. offline is a much better idea tbh, AI is much easier to kill, and if there are still problems then you can always lower the difficulty.

personally i started properly getting into FPS games when CoD4:MW came out. get her on an easy difficulty, and get her to play through the campaign. once that is done, go into a dead server with just you and her, and get her to experiment with different play styles. the game is pretty varied, so you can teach a few good things.

TL;DR if you go online, it won't end well. if she really is a beginner, play co-op with her, a small private 1v1 to teach her, or easy single player.

edit: also, this needs to be resaid for emphasis

MisterDyslexo said:
Well, maybe Portal could actually work out, because that is getting use to controlling from a first-person perspective and aiming. In fact, you have to be pretty good with your reflexes to to execute some puzzles, and requires quick thinking on your feet, which is also a virtue in FPS. And finally, of course its in an environment where you won't get gunned down by bands of marauders, so its moving at her own pace. Portal won't teach her everything, but it will get the basics down for her pretty damn well.
a fantastic idea

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
I'd say, play Team Fortress 2 with AI bots, ramping up the difficulty as your experience increases, then try some beginner servers. TF2 has a friendly community, so there is no pressure on newbies.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I agree with Portal. You can actually take your time over most of the beginning puzzles in order to get used to the controls in order to be ready for the later sections.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
TF2. It's free, it's fast and it's fun. Plus that will give her the ability to get good at headshots...

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I'd recommend a bit of quake 4 for some easy on the eyes classic twitch based shooting. She'll learn the definition of strafe right quick!

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Counter-strike is the best FPS trainer, put on bots and you can get some good experience with twitch shooting.

I disagree with people saying TF2, the new TF2 isn't really about skill in nonclan matches, really it breaks down to how much work you want to do.

CSS is my best suggestion.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Alright I'm gonna come into this right off the wall, and say anything.

I'm not going to suggest a game, because it's a skill, and skills need to be developed. Have her just keep playing what's fun, she'll get the hang of it.

Try not to run her off by forcing games on her to make her better so she doesn't disappoint you anymore :p Just let her go...after a while she'll get much better.