I need an antidote to Game of Thrones

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I've read all of Game of Thrones. So I tried watching the first season of the TV show, and I've come to the conclusion that I've had my absolute fill of grimdark fantasy.

So, I'm looking for reccomendations for fantasy lit that is the exact opposite of GoT. Stuff that's just... fun.

(I've already read all of Discworld, so don't recommend that please.)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The Hobbit. It's really not much more than a jovial adventure through middle-earth with a band of dwarves, many dungeons filled with Goblins, Spiders and a fight against a dragon who is a bit obsessed with money near the end. Politics, scheming and all that lovely Game of Thrones stuff is left to the background at most and even joked about at one point. And it's fun!

Fairly obvious choice, but it's the first thought to mind when I only finished it the other day.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
I presume you've already read Douglas Adams?
Yep, the Dirk Gently books included.

It doesn't have to be outright parody, just something, y'know, with an optimistic outlook.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
McMarbles said:
Yep, the Dirk Gently books included.

It doesn't have to be outright parody, just something, y'know, with an optimistic outlook.
I'm trying. It ain't easy. Even the YA fantasy I read years ago trended towards the heroically tragic or bittersweet. Stuff like Dresden Files can get "dark" in the same way something like Buffy got dark. Authors like Abercrombie and Lynch can be darkly comedic but they're DEFINITIVELY not "optimistic".

I've seen this series on Audible from time to time, but it's too short so I haven't checked it out. Can't vouch for it:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18616975-off-to-be-the-wizard

Also there's Ready Player One, but you've probably read that, and it's near future sci-fi and not fantasy. That would qualify as optimistic/upbeat. Avoid his follow up book though. It sucks.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
McMarbles said:
I've read all of Game of Thrones.
Song of Ice and Fire, you casual!

In all seriousness: I would suggest His Dark Materials if you're after another fantasy series. Some dark themes, but couldn't be called grimdark by a longshot. Very characterful, very enjoyable.

I'd also suggest John Wyndham, Isaac Asimov, and some of Stephen King for tales with fantastical elements and a mature approach, but which steer well clear of grimdark. Be careful with King, though; some of his cross over that line.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World.

One of my all-time favorite animes. It's only 7 episodes long, so doesn't waste any time with filler. It has a great Arabian Nights style fantasy world that blends magic and technology. A world of ancient superweapons, shapeshifting assassins, beautiful priestesses, and giant bugs. Avoid the sequels.

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
You just need some Grim Dark reality to balance you out. Start with daily obituaries. Maybe move on to some Schopenhauer or Nietzsche. Also the book: Final Exits is pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Exits-The-Illustrated-Encyclopedia/dp/0060817410

dohnut king

Sep 22, 2014
The Myth Adventures series by Robert Lynn Asprin. Fun, light-hearted fantasy full of adventures and many, many puns.

The Xanth series by Piers Anthony is another well known humorous, optimistic fantasy series.

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories aren't as humorous or optimistic, being more classic swords and sorcery. However, unlike Martin, Leiber actually likes his protagonists rather than actively hating them.

Niflhel

Sep 25, 2010
Something fun? I'll suggest The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha (commonly known as just Don Quixote).
It isn't a true fantasy book. Rather, I'd describe it as satire with fantasy elements - Though it does take place in 17th century spain, written by a contemporary writer (meaning here that Miguel de Cervantes, the author, lived during the 17th century).

It's an old book, but it does not feel old. In fact, it feels quite modern, and indeed, it's considered one of the founding works of modern western litterature. So don't be put off by its age!

The story is about a poor nobleman from La Mancha, who spends all his time reading books about chivalry, knights and fair maidens. While the era of the knight have come and gone by, our unnamed hero, who is not quite right in his head, decides to revive chivalry on his own. Armed with nothing but a rusty sword, some dented armor and a horse that is most definitely past its prime, he heads out on adventures as a knight-errant under the name of Don Quixote with his trusted squire Sancho Panza (and of course his donkey!).

The book is absolutely hilarious in many ways, yet at it's core it's quite a tragic story. It's a book that will make you think, while still managing to be a real page-turner - It is widely considered one of the best, if not the best, pieces of fiction ever written.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, at a glance:

-Lord of the Rings: Yeah, it's the obvious candidate, but if you're a lover of fantasy, read it. It's pretty much a requirement of the genre. ;)

-The Wind on Fire: For the most part, I'm staying clear of reccomending children's books, even though I'd willingly sing their praises (Rowan of Rin, Deltora Quest, the Chronicles of Narnia, etc.). However, I feel this trilogy has as much worth reading as an adult, if not more so. While it has a playful, almost idiosyncratic method of writing, it's also, IMO, very poignent, and even philisophical at times (e.g. what is freedom? What is equality? What makes a fair society?). Not as deep as other works, but IMO, worth a read.

-Thursday Next: If you like Terry Pratchett, read this. Now.

-Mistborn: I've only read the first book so far, but I reccomend it. While the book has its dark, even graphic moments (e.g. graphic violence), and a fair share of polities, it's also very much an adventure story, complete with its own dark lord equivalent. Oh, and the setting/word-painting is quite interesting as well.

-Wheel of Time: I'm including this for the sake of consistency, in that I've read the first three books and...well, really don't like them I'm afraid. However, I'm mentioning them because they kind of sit between LotR and AsoIaF, in that we have LotR-esque tropes (dark lords, not-orcs, not-nazgul, etc.), but also a fair share of political intrigue (e.g. the various nations). Not my cup of tea, but something you might like.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Depends what floats your boat. I'm a big Brandon Sanderson fan, his series Mistborn, Stormlight and one shots like Elantris and Warbreaker. He always has a system of rules for his magic and world. There's frequently a good twist, but if you've been paying attention you work it out just before the reveal. Even though some bits get dark and violent, the good guys always win, get the girl etc. Sex is handled a bit prudishly though (I guess he is a mormon).

The Wheel of Time, now that it is finally finished is great. The first book is a slog, standard fantasy cliche but latter books really change, eventually you've been in the setting long enough there's no real need for exposition. Lots of character. Lots of epic fist in the air moments. Sanderson also took over and finished with Robert Jordan's note.

My fiance has got me reading Garth Nix's Sabriel, Lirael etc. They're pretty good. More of a young adult book they have a neat setting, a 1920s society that borders a more traditional medieval society with magic and technology stopping over the border. The main characters are good necromancers, so there's genre twist there. I'm enjoying them.

If you still want a bit of low-fantasy, slightly grimdark territory, Robin Hobb. Another series with a lot of books. She's on her 5th trilology (and one of those was actually 4 books). There's magic and dragons, but still violence, discrimination and the ever present threat of rape. But again good generally prevails, with a twinge of bittersweet, Villains get there comeuppance etc. Half the books are from a single persepctive Fitz, which makes it hard to put down. He's one of my favourite fantasy characters. He's a whole bunch of cliches (chosen hero, hidden prince etc) but it never feels that way, he's flawed and vulnerable. But also a stone cold badass when the chips are down.

Also Mark Lawrences Throns and Red Queen's War is a good read. Set in a dystopian future medieval-style europe where meddling with quantum mechanics has made magic real. Mark Lawrence manages to make a character who starts off as basically Ramsay Snow endearing and undergo character development. Also his second trilogy is basically a Flashman-esque scoundrel caught sidekicking a unstoppable viking on a suicidal quest, which is pretty fun.

GeneralChaos

Dec 3, 2010
It's old, but I love the Silver John short stories. Set in 1960s appalachia, John wanders around with a cool guitar dealing with the occult, witches, monsters and other folklorey things. It has a really optimistic outlook, but it's rooted in Christianity (similar to CS Lewis) in case that's an issue. They're all online here http://www.library.beau.org/lib/ebooks/baen/03/John%20the%20Balladeer/John_the_Balladeer.htm

For a longer series, Discworld by Terry Pratchett. There's a bunch of different "series" inside the set, but I'd suggest starting with either Guards! Guards!, Wyrd Sisters or The Wee Free Men

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
Hawki said:
-Thursday Next: If you like Terry Pratchett, read this. Now.
I'll second this - Jasper Fforde's books are comic genuis, The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, The Road to High Saffron all brilliant. Where else would the Cheshire Cat be renamed as the Unitary Authority of Warrington Cat because they moved the county boundaries?

Less comedic but not grimdark, I used to enjoy Barbara Hambly's fantasy novels, though I think she moved onto other genres some years ago, Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series were generally good fun, and as mentioned above the His Dark Materials trilogy is worth a read.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
The Jhereg books by Steven Brust are really good they have a lot of wit and humor which makes them very enjoyable
Also the Bartimaeus series if you have never read them

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I'll always recommend The Dresden Files to anyone wanting some fun fantasy. It's got some darkness to it in parts, sure, and there's certainly lighter & fluffier fantasy to be found. But Dresden's too good to pass up, and personally I can't really get into anything that doesn't have at least a little bit of darkness around it's edges. The stuff that's all light just feels too fake, like artificial sweetener.

It stars a wizard fighting the good fight against the forces of darkness in downtown Chicago. What more do you need?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I have never really regarded Sword of Truth novels as dark. They can have their moments, but I laugh at some of the things Richard does.

MatthewG

Nov 8, 2010
'Fun', eh?
Well, if you like Pratchett, I'd say Robert Rankin and Tom Holt are 'adjacent' to him, although not featuring a traditional 'Tolkeinesque' fantasy setting. A particular favourite of mine is Rankin's The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse [https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49603.The_Hollow_Chocolate_Bunnies_of_the_Apocalypse?utm_medium=api&utm_source=blog_book].

If a flippant protagonist pulling amusing hi-jinks appeals, maybe check out The Spirit Thief [https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8097637-the-spirit-thief?utm_medium=api&utm_source=blog_book] by Rachel Aaron.

Chris Wooding's The Fade [https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6285903-retribution-falls?utm_medium=api&utm_source=blog_book].

If some traditional fantasy (lacking noteable comedy themes) appeals, check out: Lord of the Isles [https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91981.The_Dragonbone_Chair?utm_medium=api&utm_source=blog_book] (those are all the first books from different series).

Some other people have recommended Sanderson's Mistborn, but I'd say it's exactly the sort of thing you're looking to get away from - the initial trilogy has an overbearingly oppressive and grim tone, without a glimmer of happiness or joy throughout!

Hope that helps :)