I need an MMO

Biffy Cakeo

May 24, 2010
I'm looking for an MMO game that is free and that has a magic class. I've played alot of them but can't get into them. Silkroad was one I got quite far into but had to restart after a few atribute points got misplaced. Anyway. What are your suggestions for what MMO I should try? Also, preferably FREE.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I'd say get Guild Wars.
You pay for the game, but the online is free.
Butt-loads of magic there.

Biffy Cakeo

May 24, 2010
Baby Tea said:
I'd say get Guild Wars.
You pay for the game, but the online is free.
Butt-loads of magic there.
Incidently I have that game. Lvl 20 on 8 characters. I only use it to keep in touch with guild members.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
You should check out Runes of Magic. It's basically a WoW clone, it has eight classes, but only two races. It also has a dual-class system, given each class primary and secondary skills, so it's pretty cool. It also has a decent community, and you can usually find someone to help with quests and the like.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Allods is pretty damn fun, its a Free To Play game with a cash shop, but I know plenty of people who never use the shop and have many maximum level characters.

D&D Online is another fun FTP w/ cash shop

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Dungeons and Dragons Online is free to play.

Then there is this list. [http://www.freemmorpglist.com/]

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
there is a thread exactly to this,please see: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.210766-A-good-totally-free-MMO?page=2

Anyway here is my list:
[HEADING=3]Runes of Magic [/HEADING]

better than wow IMO so far​
[HEADING=3]Remnants of Skystone[/HEADING]​
(broswer-based and platformer,steampunk world really awesome)
in a few months : Lord of the rings online;

Dungeons and Dragons online,altough I quit it for some reason I forgot.

[HEADING=1]EDIT[/HEADING]

Oh my god I forgot to read your post entirely.In Runes of Magic,once you reach level 10,you can choose your second class.You can be a mage/druid a druid/priest mage/priest anything you want. I made a mage/knight (knights are the paladins of RoM).

So yeah,this game will give you an awesome magic class.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Not free, but WoW is a comprehensive, extensive, compulsive MMO. Don't listen to the stigma about it, it's just a game, no more no less.

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
I know you said "preferably free" but honestly, you can't do better than World of Warcraft for a fantasy MMO. The caster classes are some of the most fun you'll have with any online game ever. Your search for a good MMO will end with WoW, I'd say.

Worth giving the free trial a go at least. https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
PurpleSky said:
[HEADING=3]Runes of Magic [/HEADING]​
(better than wow IMO so far)
Could that be ripping off WoW any more if it tried? Christ, that's pretty shameless.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
sazzrah said:
PurpleSky said:
Could that be ripping off WoW any more if it tried? Christ, that's pretty shameless.
Please stop judging mmo's from screenshots,if you'd try it you'd find its alot different from wow.And I like it more,believe it or not,it has stuff like renting mounts,unseathing weapons while riding,little things I always wanted.You also have massive amounts of content,and dual classes.Stop comparing WoW to other games,it needs to die anyway, just imagine the next MMORPG Blizzard would release,given their succes with their first one.

Your post just shows how shallow you (in general) are.Some people don't have the money to play wow their entire lifes.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
sazzrah said:
PurpleSky said:
No, it probably couldn't be. But, it is entirely free to play an is pretty damn cool.

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
PurpleSky said:
Please stop judging mmo's from screenshots,if you'd try it you'd find its alot different from wow.And I like it more,believe it or not,it has stuff like renting mounts,unseathing weapons while riding,little things I always wanted.Stop comparing WoW to other games,it needs to die anyway, just imagine the next MMORPG Blizzard would release,given their succes with their first one.

You are shallow,really shallow,seriously.

What a completely inappropriate, over the top and venomous response to a perfectly legitimate comment. If you honestly do not see how this game is ripping off WoW then I will have to decline further discussion with you, and suggest you speak to someone about that chip of envy you have on your shoulder.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
sazzrah said:
PurpleSky said:
Please stop judging mmo's from screenshots,if you'd try it you'd find its alot different from wow.And I like it more,believe it or not,it has stuff like renting mounts,unseathing weapons while riding,little things I always wanted.Stop comparing WoW to other games,it needs to die anyway, just imagine the next MMORPG Blizzard would release,given their succes with their first one.

What a completely inappropriate, over the top and venomous response to a perfectly legitimate comment. If you honestly do not see how this game is ripping off WoW then I will have to decline further discussion with you, and suggest you speak to someone about that chip of envy you have on your shoulder.
Ripping off WoW in maybe its art.. but WoW ripped off EQ1, AO, AC, DAOC and im sure plenty of other games

Jun 13, 2009
Allods Online or Dungeons and Dragons Online are both great fun. I'd suggest Allods more though. It's a bit of a WoW clone but good because of it. And doesn't come with that hefty monthly fee.

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
Googenstien said:
Ripping off WoW in maybe its art.. but WoW ripped off EQ1, AO, AC, DAOC and im sure plenty of other games
All games take certain aspects from each other and build on new mechanics or ideas - that's simply progress; but copying a game down to it's UI is just shameless. It's clearly attempting to appeal to WoW players by saying hey look - we're just the same! A number of professional critics have called it a WoW-clone so I shall trust in their judgement of the game.

I'm not a WoW fangirl, I quit in 2007 and haven't played an MMO since so I concede that you no doubt have a point about WoW being build upon the ideas of previous MMOs, but to be such a carbon copy with a few extra features (and no doubt failings) is just beyond the scope of innovation and progression, it's just a rip off... and it will fade into nothingness like all pretenders before it. *shrugs*

Whitethunder

Jul 9, 2010
Googenstien said:
sazzrah said:
PurpleSky said:

I really don't see anything wrong with a company taking the best aspects of a lot of games and making them better.

toy soldier

Mar 19, 2010
i dont know if this helps but try out 9dragons. its a martial-arts themed mmo and frankly its kickass.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
My suggestion is Dungeons & Dragons Online. You want a magic class? You have Sorcerers and Wizards (arcane), and Cleric and Favored Souls (divine). Also Paladins, Rangers and Bards can cast spells, but to a much lesser extent.