I need fun, simple RPGs for a 9 year old. Yeah, you read that right.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Shepard said:
You should get her Pokemon Blue. It's kind of an RPG.
it IS an Rpg, and maybe not Blue, but one of the newer ones. After all, at her age, vibrant colors and nice graphics are probably an important factor.

gravitii

Jun 22, 2010
Having no console all I can suggest are flash games of the internet but my pet protecter 1 or 2 are both very good games for this sort of thing, also valthirian ark (I probably spelled that wrong). they can be found on armorgames.com or andkon.com as well as many other fun games to browse. Glad to see your showing her the light that is the twitchy gamer life.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
icyneesan said:
Final Fantasy 1; I can't really think of a simpler rpg with as much grinding :p
Dragon Quest 1. It takes more grinding and is pretty much just as simple if not simpler.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Agreed with Pokemon. It's simple, grind-friendly (kids like grinding? christ, who knew. poor little guys.) has a simple story, etc, etc.

It's the kid-friendliest RPG I can think of. Or you could be an AWESOME brother and get her a copy of Baldur's Gate. If she understands it at her age, I'd consider her a genius.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
I'd recommend Knights of the Old Republic, going by personal experience alone. That's what I was playing at that age, and that's what introduced me to the RPG genre. However, given that she's a Farmville player, I think the notion of a 3D camera and dialogue trees might befuddle her...

EDIT: Wait, strike that; I played through Geneforge when I was seven.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
zehydra said:
Shepard said:
it IS an Rpg, and maybe not Blue, but one of the newer ones. After all, at her age, vibrant colors and nice graphics are probably an important factor.
I know, but some people don't think so. The colors and the like are good but the newer ones are more complex then the older ones. So I mentioned one of the older more straight-forward, less complex games.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
If you want something a little more action oriented, I'd suggest Torchlight. It's so vibrant and colourful. A real treat for the eyes and the grind.

Someone also said Harvest Moon. I totally agree, especially if she likes Farmville.

Clobbertron

Sep 17, 2009
Set her up with a Pokemon game. I've been rockin' those since I was 6 so it shouldn't be too complicated for her.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
This might be a bit too violent, but perhaps Fable 1? I thought it was so simple it barely qualified as an RPG.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
well my first RPGs were

-KOTOR 2: it might be alittle coplex, i don't know, but it is a classic. Design your player (avalible party members differ with gender of player character. As you go, you'll level your abilities to fit your play style. Pick up and play, not the easiest, but the story and expierence are amazing

-Runescape: an MMORPG that was over compident. I don't think it's still around and no one's missing it for a reason. Make a pixely character that levels in various skills as you go, quest are difficult to do at low levels and other wise inexcesable, so you resort to doing self assigned grinded quests. Easy to pick up and play, but entertianment is scarce.

-Diablo 2: a classic MMORPG. Seeing how you said you like Animal Crossing and Farmville, this game might be alittle to dark, violent, and badass for you. The first boss is a naked woman with spikey tenticles coming out of her back; and one of the powers one of the races get is litery, make a corpse turn into a gorey spectical for the spectical, amoung other reasons. This game features a handfull of races, different enough that you should be able to find one that fits your style. i think there was 3 power skill trees as different as the races that are easily managed and 5 "adtibutes" (strength, endurance, etc).
Difficulty to pick up and play wise, its a strech but its worth it.

nick_knack

Jul 16, 2008
Jekken6 said:
Fallout series or Morrowind/Oblivion
Are you retarded? Or are you trolling? Those are both undoubtedly good series, but they are hardly simple.

How can anyone in their right mind recommend them to a nine year old?

Moron.

OT: How about Viva Pinata? Pokemon is also a good choice.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
nick_knack said:
Jekken6 said:
Fallout series or Morrowind/Oblivion
Are you retarded? Or are you trolling? Those are both undoubtedly good series, but they are hardly simple.

How can anyone in their right mind recommend them to a nine year old?

Moron.

OT: How about Viva Pinata? Pokemon is also a good choice.
Agh, you got me. I was trolling.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
well my first RPGs were

-KOTOR 2: it might be alittle coplex, i don't know, but it is a classic. Design your player (avalible party members differ with gender of player character. As you go, you'll level your abilities to fit your play style. Pick up and play, not the easiest, but the story and expierence are amazing

-Runescape: an MMORPG that was over compident. I don't think it's still around and no one's missing it for a reason. Make a pixely character that levels in various skills as you go, quest are difficult to do at low levels and other wise inexcesable, so you resort to doing self assigned grinded quests. Easy to pick up and play, but entertianment is scarce.

-Diablo 2: a classic MMORPG. Seeing how you said you like Animal Crossing and Farmville, this game might be alittle to dark, violent, and badass for you. The first boss is a naked woman with spikey tenticles coming out of her back; and one of the powers one of the races get is litery, make a corpse turn into a gorey spectical for the spectical, amoung other reasons. This game features a handfull of races, different enough that you should be able to find one that fits your style. i think there was 3 power skill trees as different as the races that are easily managed and 5 "adtibutes" (strength, endurance, etc).
Difficulty to pick up and play wise, its a strech but its worth it.
Runescape is still around and is now a bit less pixely.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'd definitely go with Pokemon game here.
Shepard said:
zehydra said:
Shepard said:
I know, but some people don't think so. The colors and the like are good but the newer ones are more complex then the older ones. So I mentioned one of the older more straight-forward, less complex games.
I agree with that vibrant colours and and graphics would be important, so I wouldn't go for the early black and white game boy games. I also agree that some of the later ones might be a little too complex as well. Maybe FireRed or LeafGreen would be best or, if you don't think it would be too complex and she owns a DS, SoulSilver or HeartGold. She might appreciate the funny pokewalker thing too.

Axel0206

Jan 21, 2010
pokemon is epic i still play that now :\ (17 y.o lol) also game i fell in love with at that age was zelda oot on the n64 :D although that game and all its dungeons and stuff r slightly challengin but i did find them epic :D

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
I'm also leaning towards harvest moon. I know my sister was big into the Tycoon series at that age as well, FWIW.

Anything Mario or Zelda is a good place to start too. Although the back half of OoT might be a little rough on a kid. :p