I need help finding horror movies. Any suggestions?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I am surprised no one has mentioned The Shining yet. Best psychological horror movie I have seen. Seriously, go watch it.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Simalacrum said:
From what I've heard, the Japanese version of 'The Ring' is pretty much the scariest thing possible to man :p
Nah, it's not that bad. The Ring tape in the American version is actually creepier visually, but the Japanese tape makes more sense in context with the movie. You could watch worse.

The Shining got me. That's seriously creepy, even if it's to supernatural to be classed as a realistic horror movie, and too old to be classed as recent.

BoosterGold

Jul 21, 2010
Ju-On aka Japanese version of the grudge, It was so scary I was terrified of all Asians under the age of 7 for like two years.

the original black and white Godzilla it is genuinely creepy

bleh002

Jan 8, 2010
I would suggest you check out movie line ups at festivals specializing in horror, or that have programs that gear more towards it as well. I'm going to Midnight Madness at TIFF this year (as long as I can adjust my work schedule) and I'm sure that Colin Geddes will have some scary films chosen for us this year.

Last year had REC2 and The Loved Ones. If they have anything that comes close to the last half of The Loved Ones, it will be an awesome lineup.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Ignore most of what people in this forum said. Many of those movies aren't worth your time. Miike's "Audition" truly isn't that good. It's a hell of a lot of wasted build-up time with a "been there, done that" payoff. It just ISN'T THAT SHOCKING.

If realism is your thing, it doesn't get much more realistic than "Cannibal Holocaust". It is very graphic, though, and the animals killed on screen were actual animals that died. I can't recommend the movie enough, but it really isn't for people with a weak stomach, heart, or mind. I warned you.

You may also enjoy "Frontiere(s)" or "Haute Tension". They aren't amazing by any stretch, but they're fairly gory. Very enjoyable.

A lot of people seem to hate "Wolf Creek", but it's another film I can't recommend enough. It takes about an hour or so before anything remotely scary happens, but it does a very good job of fleshing out characters, and the third act is fucking INSANE. The villain is disturbing.

I'll post more as I think of them, which should be rather soon.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Candyman, Rosemary's Baby, and Exorcist III are all impressively awesome. Just...god, they're so friggin' good! Disturbing and atmospheric, for sure.

Tagball

Super Sexy Short Stuff
Nov 25, 2009
I just viewed Jacob's Ladder. It can be described as a psychological thriller...with weird shit thrown in.

Here's a little taste:

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Cube, Saw, Alien franchise if your into SciFi, thats all I can think of without going to too many horror franchises like Halloween, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street

mace3579

Dec 4, 2009
monstersquad said:
I've got one. It's creepy, atmospheric and the best way I could describe is it looks like someone filmed their nightmare. It's Pandorum. Super creepy, super scary, and the end will blow your mind out of your ass. Oh, and in case you're not from the british commonwealth or some such crap, Brain Dead is actually called Dead Alive in North America. I personally feel it's a MUCH better title than Brain Dead.
Yeah. I saw Pandorum a few months ago. Not really scary, but it had an awesome story and the ending did blow my mind away. Brain Dead (Dead Alive) was interesting, but it just felt to retro 80s for me. Still, it was good for its time and I was amazed that Peter Jackson made it.

ToAsTy McBuTTeR

May 27, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
Allow me to list the following movies.

House on Haunted Hill (it was remade and was shit get the Vincent Price one.)

House of Wax (also originally starring Vincent Price. got remade it was shit)

The Abominable Dr.Phibes
Return of Dr.Phibes

Candyman

A Nightmare of Elm Street (1984 with Robert Englund)

Friday the 13th (1980)

The Audition

Cube

Child's Play

Halloween 1 and 2 (both with Jamie Lee Curtis. Hell even go with Rob Zombie's versions as well))

House of 1000 Corpses

The Devil's Rejects.

There's so many damn more i could list here but this i think is a good start for you.
and while i respect you for all of those i am sad that Alien did not make your list despite it being a great horror movie that debuted barely a year after Halloween. granted the sci-fi bit gets it misfiled most of the time. but it is truly a SCARY piece of cinema. and my favorite as it stands. even if the sequels strayed from horror into "action flick"-ness.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
ToAsTy McBuTTeR said:
SnootyEnglishman said:
Allow me to list the following movies.

House on Haunted Hill (it was remade and was shit get the Vincent Price one.)

House of Wax (also originally starring Vincent Price. got remade it was shit)

The Abominable Dr.Phibes
Return of Dr.Phibes

Candyman

A Nightmare of Elm Street (1984 with Robert Englund)

Friday the 13th (1980)

The Audition

Cube

Child's Play

Halloween 1 and 2 (both with Jamie Lee Curtis. Hell even go with Rob Zombie's versions as well))

House of 1000 Corpses

The Devil's Rejects.

There's so many damn more i could list here but this i think is a good start for you.
and while i respect you for all of those i am sad that Alien did not make your list despite it being a great horror movie that debuted barely a year after Halloween. granted the sci-fi bit gets it misfiled most of the time. but it is truly a SCARY piece of cinema. and my favorite as it stands. even if the sequels strayed from horror into "action flick"-ness.
Oh Alien is a movie for me to recommend. I consider it more Science Fiction Horror. The movies i listed are straight up horror.

ToAsTy McBuTTeR

May 27, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
Mirrors
28 Days/Weeks Later (kinda more action I guess)
The Alien, Predator and Alien vs. Predator movies
Cloverfield

I think that's all the ones I've seen, they were all pretty good.
mirrors sucked. 28days/weeks later hardly qualify as horror. too many guns and explosions. i'll count "days" as horror before i count weeks as horror. the AvP movies shouldn't even count as movies, and they most certainly do not count as horror. they are cheesy action bull shit. Alien i mentioned was a horror, predator 1&2 are quite action flick-y. and cloverfield is an american godzilla movie.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
ToAsTy McBuTTeR said:
PoisonUnagi said:
Mirrors
28 Days/Weeks Later (kinda more action I guess)
The Alien, Predator and Alien vs. Predator movies
Cloverfield

I think that's all the ones I've seen, they were all pretty good.
mirrors sucked. 28days/weeks later hardly qualify as horror. too many guns and explosions. i'll count "days" as horror before i count weeks as horror. the AvP movies shouldn't even count as movies, and they most certainly do not count as horror. they are cheesy action bull shit. Alien i mentioned was a horror, predator 1&2 are quite action flick-y. and cloverfield is an american godzilla movie.
Well I liked them.
Oh yeah, and there's also 1408. I haven't seen all of it, and yes it's a modern movie, but yeah, check that out.