I need help with literature for an 11 year old

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I can recommend the Discworld, especially as it starts out as simple fantasy with a touch of parody, but grows into a huge satirical world reflecting our own, and may get him thinking about the big subjects in life, which can't be a bad thing.

While at heard a humourous set of books, it's still managing to be fairly deep with multiple plotlines at once and threads and characters woven thru multiple tales.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
GrimTuesday said:
Buy him Redwall books, lots and lots of Redwall books.
Ramin 123 said:
I'd say Artemis Fowl (note the first book is just called Artemis Fowl as there's around 7 books). It's like kind of fantasy thief stuff.
Ditto to both of these suggestions. Another series with immersive universe and engaging narrative (and tagged with great artwork) that I'd recommend would beThe Edge Chronicles

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Percy jackson, harry potter, redwall... though they aren't really sci-fi are all good reads.

I loved the animorph books at that age too.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
The Poetic Edda is pretty amazing, same story with the Aeneid, which is rather easier to read than the Iliad.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Yeah i think I ended up reading every god damned one..
the silverwing series by Kenneth Oppel was great

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Dfskelleton said:
Obviously the Doom novels, the most amazingly written books ever with such a sense making plot twist. I was shocked with a bout of surprised ecstacy when I learned that the demons weren't actually demons: they were genetically engineered monsters made by a group of chickens with artichoke heads that are all named "Fred" and started a war. Not just any war, but the most meaningful war of all time: A war... About BOOKS. Somewhere in the middle of this war, they decided "Humans can be killed, so we must blow them up!" and so they did. And the best part: this was all revealed to the protagonists by a pair of space gorillas. Obviously the best series ever.
/sarcasm
Hey now, the first two were better than the vast majority of movie novelizations out there. The third was pretty bad though, and the fourth was just fucking godawful.
I will agree that the first two were pretty good and intriguing when I read them, but the 3rd and 4th pretty much ruined the entire series for me.