I need help with literature for an 11 year old

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
The Phantom Tollbooth, no matter where I am, I will suggest that book to anyone.
Not so much Sci-Fi/fantasy, but the Series of Unfortunate Events books were a thing to look foward to every night (Never read the last one though, might have to get back into them), might have been my dad putting on voices for all the characters but the stories are good if a bit on the sad side.

Sarkule

Jun 9, 2010
Ender's Game, and the following series.
At 11 he probably wouldn't understand all of the deeper stuff, but it's still a great read. And something he would understand more when he's older.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
A four book set that I found really good - and that is not a difficult read by any means - is the 'with dragons' books called the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Female main character, but a strong male character comes in book 2 and then their son in book 4. All really good and nothing in them is the least bit objectionable - they take a light attitude towards the fairy tale world - like Shrek, but before Shrek.

Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, and Talking to Dragons. :)

All the other things suggested here are really good too (Redwall books make me want to snack though - they are always describing their delicious woodland feasts)

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
The Discworld series.

Tell him to come up for air every once in a while.

You're welcome.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
You could read to him. For example I loved The Hobbit at around that age but me reading it at that time wasn't going to happen. If there is anything he doesn't understand in the story you can try and explain it to him in a way he will understand.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
When I was his age, I was reading Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Dune, and Everworld (though if you don't like dark language...)

t3h br0th3r

May 7, 2009
*flexes English major muscles*

there is a lot for a kid his age to read. Artemis Fowl is good if he is into sci-fi and fantasy. Comics (the american kind) are also pretty eye catching to an 11 year old. just, for the love of all that is good, don't let him read Deadpool.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
For one of the few non-fiction recommendations; I happen to have a book on norse mythology right next to me, called Gods and Myths of Northern Europe, by H. R. Ellis Davidson, which I'd recommend to anyone with an interest in the mythology.

Also, to add to the list of fiction that's been recommended, I'll mention The Death Gate Cycle, because I remember reading them around that age and I really liked them (I also read the Dragonlance novels, but they've already been mentioned). In fact, I should probably read them again when I get the time...

Of course... those are fantasy, not scifi... then again, it's not like I'm the first person to mention fantasy books in this thread...

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
For an 11 year old? I would greatly recommend the Artemis Fowl series. It is about a teenage criminal mastermind, and has a twist sort of with a race living beneath the earth (without humans knowing) who sort of police the world... really awesome series.

PrimoThePro

Jun 23, 2009
believer258 said:
Ender's game; is that appropriate for an eleven year old? There isn't any language...
My mom got that for me, it is still one of my favourites. No swearing, but he does brutalize several other kids. You don't know he kills them until the very end, I believe. But seriously, this is probably the best book to get, it really will open his mind to really good literature. Sure did the trick for me! :D

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
When I was 11, I was introduced to Philip K Dick. I would wholeheartedly recommend him as good sci-fi with psychological horror elements =)

Also, I second anyone who said Redwall, although that's not technically sci-fi I guess.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
I would get him journey to the west and stuff like the Iliad my parents did that with me what it does is I wanted to get to the stories so it pushed me to become a better reader. OH and enders game chronicles of narnia were my favorite books, but be weary of enders game depending on how mature he is it could be a bit mature for him.

Razgrizaces

Jul 13, 2009
Enders Game.

My teacher had annoyed me that it was like my story that I wrote (which was in it's first draft and completely different from the one I've posted), and I haven't gotten the chance to read it through. I hear it's a good book.

Hmm... I'm not too good with Sci-Fi, but literature, I loved the Alex Rider series at 11 (and I still kind of do at 14), but that's more of realistic/spy/military fiction. I actually like it, and if you're wondering, it's completely different from the movie (which wasn't that good...) and it actually is a good series. I haven't read the newest one (if there was one), but I'd definitely recommend the Alex Rider series. I loved it at that age.