I propose we work to end the hatred of the Fedora

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
In this war between the MRA and the Feminist there has been a innocent causality.

The Fedora.

Now I, like many of you, desire to wear a formal hat with casual dress. Why? Cause fuck you, that's why. But no seriously, it annoys me the idea that I'm afraid to wear something because it's been sterotyped.

So on both sides of the aisle, can we please leave the innocent garment out of this fight for equality? Don't you all see you all aren't making gender rights any equal-er your just making hatware uncool? THE HUMANITY!

I propose we call ourselves Fedora Rights Activist, men and women who believe that a person should not be judged by the garment on their head or the quality of their beard but by their ideologies and worldviews! :p

And once we save the Fedora, lets reclaim the Blue Pill/Red Pill thing Vault101 told me about. I don't want to live in a world where we lose a great Matrix reference.

Clearly, these are the issues we should be focusing. Why am I the only Sane one amongst this Insanity? :p

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't hate the fedora for what it represents, I just think it looks dumb with a t-shirt and jeans.

Some of my guy friends, when I was a teenager, would wear a trilby or a fedora with their everyday clothes so now I just associate the look with someone young and/or immature, rather than someone being an MRA nice guy.

In rare cases, they can actually look quite nice with suits or on girls as a fashion accessory.

For the most part though, I'll just assume that people have a crap dress sense.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Are fedoras even a problem outside of the internet? Because I've only ever heard of this MRA/Feminist/Fedora problem, online.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Fedoras aren't bad; nobody really hates fedoras. Just as long as they're not being worn with shorts and a t-shirt. They look good on suits, and some people (like our resident Yahtzee) simply look cool in them.

Really, it's all down to the nice-guys; they have ruined the fedora; sodomised it, dirtied it with their disgusting Cheetos-addled fingers.

But alas, it seems the fedora is a victim that we simply cannot save.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Ain't gonna happen. I've been watching and trying to understand normal people for long enough to know that once the majority of them have made their mind up about what someone/does/wears/listens to/etc means about their personality, that's it, they'll never drop it.

I would really wish it could change. Fedoras are the only hats that lessen the glare of a low sun without cutting off my peripheral vision too much, not to mention that baseball caps always made my forehead hurt with their hard brims.

But no, this hat's fate is sealed. And I am condemned to walk around in summer evenings squinting at everything. Which I swear would make me look more like a creepy pervert than some fucking hat, but that's what's been decided.

Oh and about it not looking good without a full suit. I do know that, but for fuck's sake, I don't have a clue about fashion anyway, so I've probably already committed some awful sin with the rest of my clothes, and also, I'd still look like shit no matter what.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I just dont like them. I dont like to stereotype but I just cant get the spotty "neckbeard" image out my head. Hats of any type really arent for me so im not the best person to ask.

I just think the fedora (or the other one people get accused with a fedora) has been adopted by 14 year old boys trying to looking classy and failing miserably.

If you are gonna have a fedora please (and I stress this with the utmost importance) shave your whiskery beard and try to clear your spots up or your running very close to the "neckbeard" look (which BTW isnt cool)

P.s. Take solice in the fact that you look less of a twat than someone in a snap-back

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
shootthebandit said:
try to clear your spots up
Ah yes of course, because acne's something you can just "clear up" with a bit of effort...

OT: I did a (possibly less jokey) thread about this a little while ago. I totally agree with you, but it would appear that a lot of Escapists moonlight as the fashion police and apparently there are strict rules about what you can and can't wear with specific outfits. Personally, I don't give a monkey's and will continue to wear my fedora with whatever I damn well please, because fuck you. Being female though, I seem to have a bit of an unfair advantage for whatever reason.

Fedora aficionados of the world, unite!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I agree, I've always stood by the idea that people should be judged by their views and actions, not by how they look. If you judge someone solely by a hat they choose to wear, you're no different in my eyes to someone who judges a person solely by the colour of their skin. Once we've reclaimed the Fedora next we should return the neckbeard to it's classier origins:

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Personally, I think it's a lost cause

It's a stereotype now and we all know how hard it is for people to change their minds about something when it's so emphasized
IceForce said:
Are fedoras even a problem outside of the internet? Because I've only ever heard of this MRA/Feminist/Fedora problem, online.
Like everything else online, it's so pushed in your face that it seems commonplace yet it most likely is rare IRL >.>

Alas poor fedora, I knew thee well

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I don't hate the fedora. I don't hate what you wear it with. I don't give a damn. All I ask is that you learn the difference between a trilby and a fedora. For the love of god please people learn the damn difference. All it takes is one google search to learn. That's all you need to do. Do or wear whatever the hell you want to, however you want, but please, learn what hate you are actually wearing! Everyone, please!

As ever with fedoras, here is a handy chart.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Eamar said:
I totally agree with you, but it would appear that a lot of Escapists moonlight as the fashion police and apparently there are strict rules about what you can and can't wear with specific outfits. Personally, I don't give a monkey's and will continue to wear my fedora with whatever I damn well please, because fuck you.
That seems a bit of an over-reaction to some people not liking how an item of clothing looks.

I also think ugg boots look crap with velour pants, it's just an opinion, I don't expect people to stop wearing them.

Edit:

Padwolf said:
I don't hate the fedora. I don't hate what you wear it with. I don't give a damn. All I ask is that you learn the difference between a trilby and a fedora. For the love of god please people learn the damn difference. All it takes is one google search to learn. That's all you need to do. Do or wear whatever the hell you want to, however you want, but please, learn what hate you are actually wearing! Everyone, please!

As ever with fedoras, here is a handy chart.
Do you just constantly have that on hand for quick reference?

You should start doing Public Service Announcements. :D

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I just think hats look silly these days, considering most people wear them with a t-shirt and cargo shorts/jeans. Anyway, I was trying to find the difference between fedora and trilby and I found this very helpful chart:

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Eamar said:
shootthebandit said:
try to clear your spots up
Ah yes of course, because acne's something you can just "clear up" with a bit of effort...
Perhaps that was a little harsh of me. All im saying is that if you happen to have acne with with a bit of face fuzz (which isnt going to help). Putting on a fedora is going to make you look like a stereotypical "neck beard".

Im not saying dont wear one but if you want to avoid looking like a "neck beard" id suggest you avoid one (under these circumstances). If you still want to wear one go ahead but dont say I didnt warn you

its a bit different with you being a woman though. You can pull off the neckbeard =P seriously though its a different kettle of fish for a woman

Edit: I certainly wasnt having a go at people for having acne. I was just saying that wearing a fedora and having some facial hair will draw attention to it

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Not until all fedoras are worn along with clothing befitting it. Cargo shorts are not fedora-approriate clothing.

Suitjacket, shirt, proper shoes and proper trousers fastened with belts. These are my conditions. Waistcoat optional but well appreciated. If appropriate clothing is not possible (and the hat is), I strongly suggest getting a less demanding hat.

In fact, make that the standard conduct for all exorcises in the wearing of slightly archaic hats.

Why? Because it looks idiotic, wearing a trildora without the clothing to support it. While not passing judgment on a person's personality by their headwear is an ideal, it is difficult to not notice when someone dress like an utter twat, I'm afraid.

Now, I will get my rubber baton and beat fashion violators as befit an officer of the clothing sturmabteilung. Say NEIN to suspenders!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't take "online problems" very seriously and as far as I'm concerned, this is one. Writing in a public forum isn't "fighting". That requires time, effort and sacrifice. I don't think it's even an issue worth fighting for either.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I don't take "online problems" very seriously and as far as I'm concerned, this is one. Writing in a public forum isn't "fighting". That requires time, effort and sacrifice. I don't think it's even an issue worth fighting for either.
Yeah, nobody outside the internet really gives a shit about fedoras, even on the internet, only the nerdier sides even know about the fedora stereotypes.

Sure, if you wear a fedora and a t-shirt with cargo shorts, people walking down the street are probably going to think you look stupid, but so what, why do you care what some random strangers think? If you want to change the way the fedora is perceived online, well good luck, I don't forsee much success there, and I don't care enough to try myself.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Colour Scientist said:
That seems a bit of an over-reaction to some people not liking how an item of clothing looks.

I also think ugg boots look crap with velour pants, it's just an opinion, I don't expect people to stop wearing them.
My tongue was slightly in my cheek with the whole over-dramatic response thing. Foiled again by the interweb's lack of tone indication - curses :p

To be clear, I don't actually get angry about this stuff and I totally get that people have different opinions on aesthetics (myself included). However, I try not to state my tastes as objective facts or strict rules, and I don't use them to justify making massive judgements about people based on them, as some people did in the other thread.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Eamar said:
Colour Scientist said:

My tongue was slightly in my cheek with the whole over-dramatic response thing. Foiled again by the interweb's lack of tone indication - curses :p

To be clear, I don't actually get angry about this stuff and I totally get that people have different opinions on aesthetics (myself included). However, I try not to state my tastes as objective facts or strict rules, and I don't use them to justify making massive judgements about people based on them, as some people did in the other thread.
Eh, probably my fault, I'm having a bit of a grumpy day. XD

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The funny thing is that if you mentioned the neckbeard stereotype to the average person on the street in regards to Fedora's and such, most people wouldn't have the slightest clue what you were talking about.

Like most internet issues, they seem like they are much more prevalent than they actually are.

While I do agree that they do look a little silly with casual clothing, I cannot really understand why so many people seem to genuinely care about it. Perhaps a bit of defensiveness because Geeks are stereotypically not supposed to be very fashion savvy, so they wish to distance themselves from that in some way?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
If you can pull it off, you won't be made fun of.

Sadly, a lot of people really, really can't pull it off.

Also, what the hell is the "blue pill/red pill thing"? How is that anything but a Matrix reference?