I propose we work to end the hatred of the Fedora

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
I don't hate Fedoras, I just think they look stupid with casual clothes and a neckbeard.

And what is up with the question captchcas? Are they even capthchas anymore? How do I even spell captchas?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fedoras aren't innocent. They've committed more war crimes than both sides combined. Down with fedoras!

I'm sorry, I should treat the subject with the seriousness it deserves. Unfortunately, I can't find my clown nose.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Well I must say out of the 2-3 people I have know that would wear them 1 is douche, 1 looked like a douche, and the other quickly found out it really didn't look as good as they had hoped. Therefore based on my study I will not defend or attack the fedora. All I will say is it doesn't fit with the rest of the outfit people tend to wear.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Fedoras aren't innocent. They've committed more war crimes than both sides combined. Down with fedoras!

I'm sorry, I should treat the subject with the seriousness it deserves. Unfortunately, I can't find my clown nose.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
All that needs to happen is that out of shape neckbeards need to stop wearing fedoras with shorts and graphic t-shirts under the impression that it adds refinement to their appearance. It's no worse than suburban white kids wearing $40 baseball caps backwards and with the tag still on in a vain attempt to look "street, dawg". Baseball hats are okay, absurd pricing aside. Upper middle class teenagers trying to look "ghetto" is not.

Also, they're wearing trilbies, not fedoras. A fedora has a wider brim, ie Indiana Jones. Think of it like a continuum with Stetsons on one end (ie cowboys, Old West outlaws, generally tough, manly people. Oh, and widest brim with the same basic shape) and trilbies on the other (MRAs in faded My Little Pony t-shirts. And thinnest brim.), a fedora is right in the middle. Clearly, the solution is that the neckbeards must begin wearing cowboy hats to even out the douchebag polarity.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Hazy said:
The fedora is quintessential Dadcore, which is to say, you don't want anything to do with it. People will laugh at you and you will look like a tryhard.

The fundamental problem is that people try to pair it with a graphic tee and a pair of jeans. This is high quality headwear, you can't just fold it up and put it in your back pocket like you would a baseball cap. It fell out of style because of the shift towards informal clothing in the late '60s.

If you're looking to step up your fashion game, that's great, but the fedora is the wrong way to go about it. You want simple, understated, yet quality menswear (no tacky splashes, no immature graphic tees, no obnoxious logos, I really shouldn't need to explain this) that fits with your physique. This involves cultivating your own fashion sense. Part of fashion is finding a style that fits you personally and can compliment your looks, and while men's fashion doesn't change as drastically as women's, if you walk into a pub looking like you're straight out of the Prohibition people will stare at you.

People dress similar to those in games/movies do and they look ridiculous, and I'm going to tell you why: Those clothes are made for them, not you. Ryan Gosling wears the Scorpion jacket from Drive so well because it was made with him in mind. They sat down, went over wardrobe, and decided on that. I can assure you that this didn't happen overnight. Putting on a hat will not automatically transform you into Dick Tracy just like putting on a red trench coat won't turn you into Dante.

Case in point:

Be the guy who aims to dress like this [http://young-stalin.com/images/13409809919517.jpeg], not like this [http://young-stalin.com/images/13368217022866.jpeg].
But here's the thing... I don't care.

I want to rock a black wool coat and red converse sneakers like Clive Owen in Sin City.

Liandar said:
Fedoras are worn by desperate people who are trying to look cool and classy but, instead of dressing well, keeping up with their hygiene or exercising, they decide to put on a hat.
And if that's not bad enough, they also wear it indoors, which pretty much negates any "class" a person might get from wearing a hat.
Also, people should stop mentioning Yahtzee when talking about fedoras/trilbies, because he is not wearing them anymore.
Isn't not wearing a hat inside some sort of religious thing? Wouldn't follow that anyway, but I'm the type of bloke who if he leaves his house wearing a jacket it's not coming off till I get home.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Bat Vader said:
While I do find fedoras to look cool I much prefer a Hooligan or Driver's cap.
Hopefully nobody runs off and gives those a bad image! :D I prefer to wear my 100-year-old leather newsboy cap. It goes with just about everything, both smart and casual.
I keep meaning to get a newsboy cap. Whenever I do want to purchase one I can never decide on either black, brown, or grey. I should just buy all three.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:

The Fedora's merely want their fair of equal rights to exist that the ball caps wear. They're ENTITLED to be placed on people's heads, just for existing. Our culture is the reason. :p

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
I want to rock a black wool coat and red converse sneakers like Clive Owen in Sin City.
youre not clive owen in sin city though....

I mean picture this, red converse, long coat (bonus points for leath), mario t shirt...fedora

does anything here seem off to you?

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Someone Depressing said:
But alas, it seems the fedora is a victim that we simply cannot save.
Thats what I thought when I came here! Its not "We end the fedora hate!" but rather "Can we?". But I propose that we should bring back the ruff! Now that's style

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Vault101 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
youre not clive owen in sin city though....

I mean picture this, red converse, long coat (bonus points for leath), mario t shirt...fedora

In the interest of honesty,

I'd never rock a fedora/trillbywhatever in all honesty. Finding one that would fit my head would prove too difficult.

and I can't recall the last time I wore T-Shirt. Mostly button down collared shirts these days. :/ and I bought a CM Punk shirt recently, and it's hanging in my closet and I keep thinking to myself when am I going to wear it? I'm either at work or I'm at home. Hohum. Same thing, I got a pair of really nice Clerks Enties sneakers that when I was doing ring crew wrestling I'd rock with a formal outfit (Think 10th doctor with a vest), haven't worn them since. Nice shoes, no place to wear them.

That all said, I have a trench coat. It's beige. Got it during high school, didn't want black because I didn't want to bring up images of a columbine shooter in people's head. I still rock it from time to time, rainy days or days I'm feeling particularly desperate. Theres also a bit of a Kevin Smith thing, I'm not a huge guy but I'm big enough that I want to feel protected from eyes with a long coat.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:

And what does that have to do with a fedora?

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
The way most people wear fedoras is akin to someone wearing a sunhat with a freaking jogging suit.
Dress the part!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Hazy said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

And what does that have to do with a fedora?
Nothing and everything.

Really nothing. Just making the point that maybe folk aren't dressing like the dude from drive to look good, as rather a Halloween emulation of the character. That's who they want to be.

I'd never wear a scorpion jacket... A letterman jacket on the otherhand....

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
... Had to image google search this to figure out what the issue is, looks like I missed another big little thing on the net again...

Anyway, from what I can tell(without being tainted by whatever viewpoint others have attached to it), it's a taste thing. The fedora looks to be part of a more formal attire with it's rather angular shape which is a style associated with suits. Think of the cummerbund, do you think it would fit with informal wear like shorts and t-shirt?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
The Fedora's merely want their fair of equal rights to exist that the ball caps wear. They're ENTITLED to be placed on people's heads, just for existing. Our culture is the reason. :p
I have nothing against fedoras. I just don't want them pushing their political agenda on me.

Vault101 said:

Yeah! You shouldn't wear sneakers and a Mario T-Shirt. It's tacky!

2fish said:
That's not my nose! My nose has dignity! Grace! And I think I left it next to my sonic screwdriver!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
... Had to image google search this to figure out what the issue is, looks like I missed another big little thing on the net again...
If it makes you feel any better, I always thought it was a joke. But of late, people have been acting like it's dead serious.

Anyway, from what I can tell(without being tainted by whatever viewpoint others have attached to it), it's a taste thing. The fedora looks to be part of a more formal attire with it's rather angular shape which is a style associated with suits. Think of the cummerbund, do you think it would fit with informal wear like shorts and t-shirt?
I'm wearing a necktie with my Led Zep T-Shirt right now. I don't see what's so wrong with mixing....>.>

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
My 75 year old father recently bought himself a 200$ fedora. Hasn't worn it. I asked him about it, and he said that even when he wore suits, it made him look a little silly.

Says it all, really...

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Bat Vader said:
I keep meaning to get a newsboy cap. Whenever I do want to purchase one I can never decide on either black, brown, or grey. I should just buy all three.
Oh, you totally should if you find some good ones! My only newsboy is brown leather and, like I said in my last post, is just over 100 years old. I bought it at an antique nautical store in downtown Baltimore back in '96, have worn it thousands of times since purchase, and it still looks like the day I bought it.

-----------------------------------

Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm wearing a necktie with my Led Zep T-Shirt right now. I don't see what's so wrong with mixing....>.>
Now THAT sounds awesome!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I'll support the idea of not judging people for wearing fedoras, as soon as everyone also agrees we shouldn't judge people for wearing Ed Hardy T-shirts, gold chains, or bedazzled anything.

Now, who's with me?