I propose we work to end the hatred of the Fedora

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Clothing is only part of the problem tbh. Another part is that it's a hat that we connect with the suave looking men who wore it in the movies. The users these days tend to be guys who are faaar on the other side of the coolness spectrum.
Fortunetly I haven't actually seen any fedoras/trilbys except for once. The fad never came to Sweden I believe, unless I've just been lucky, and I hope it never will. Anyway, that one guy had all the 40's clothing you could wish for to suit with the hat, but he was also a nerdy neckberd... which made it ugly as hell and all I could think about was wanting to punch him so fucking hard.

Hats are long out of fashion and I don't wish to see them reinstated. They fit on some, but it's very rare.
However, what I want the most is for those extremely ugly caps to go away. Why would you wear a cap that's three times the size of your head? What's the purpose? Have they never seen themselves in a mirror?!

I realise there might be some irony here since I got a cowboy hat on my avatar.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Phasmal said:
Is this actually a thing, though?
Are people going around knocking fedoras off of people and `shaming` them for wearing them?

Or is it just an opinion that the hat looks dumb?

Can people really not cope with the idea that someone won't like their hat?

I dunno. Do I like the look? No, it's probably been spoiled for me by the stereotype, but it's not really a good look either.
That said, if I see a guy who looks even the spit of the stereotype, the worst I will do is think he looks dumb.

Doclector said:
1. You're taking this a bit personally.

2. Where in the UK is the sun being in your eyes a significant problem, cause I'd like to move there.
Ya know, I have no problem if someone dislikes the way I dress because it looks dumb. I do have a problem with people assuming I want to rape and shoot the woman folk because I'm rocking said hat.

DanielBrown said:
Clothing is only part of the problem tbh. Another part is that it's a hat that we connect with the suave looking men who wore it in the movies. The users these days tend to be guys who are faaar on the other side of the coolness spectrum.
Fortunetly I haven't actually seen any fedoras/trilbys except for once. The fad never came to Sweden I believe, unless I've just been lucky, and I hope it never will. Anyway, that one guy had all the 40's clothing you could wish for to suit with the hat, but he was also a nerdy neckberd... which made it ugly as hell and all I could think about was wanting to punch him so fucking hard.

Hats are long out of fashion and I don't wish to see them reinstated. They fit on some, but it's very rare.
However, what I want the most is for those extremely ugly caps to go away. Why would you wear a cap that's three times the size of your head? What's the purpose? Have they never seen themselves in a mirror?!

I realise there might be some irony here since I got a cowboy hat on my avatar.
This is just my old age speaking, but is anyone really "cool"? I tend to think no matter how old we get were all still a bunch of idiot children.

The only cool people are folks like Kevin Smith, folk that don't give a shit and just wanna chill and have a good time.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Ya know, I have no problem if someone dislikes the way I dress because it looks dumb. I do have a problem with people assuming I want to rape and shoot the woman folk because I'm rocking said hat.
Let me know if that actually becomes a thing. Rather than a bunch of people assuming that's what's going to happen.
As far as I know, that's not something that's happening at all.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Doclector said:
LobsterFeng said:
OT: Honestly, though, this really is a relatively simple problem to fix: stop caring so much about what others think. Assuming that people you encounter in real life actually do stereotype you for wearing a particular piece of headwear, what of it? I say wear whatever you want and simply don't be afraid to do so. Fedora wearers just need to keep on wearing their fedoras and I doubt anyone will really even care or notice.
Easy to say. But when you know the sheer level of hatred surrounding such a silly thing, and when you know people are looking at you and wishing a thousand horrible fates upon you, that's a different story.
I don't know how but you quoted the wrong person. I'm not the one that made the post you quoted. Interesting.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I support your crusade, though I believe it to be foolish.

The fedora has simply become too tainted in our modern society, and people too unwilling to accept it back in at the moment.

Maybe 50 years from now we can revisit the issue, but for the moment... it's just too unrealistic.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I thought the agreed point was that society's definitions of beauty style and fashion was bullshit. What, does that only apply to people we like?

On another note, this is STILL a thing? I like to wear a scally cap, do I need to be lectured on the "proper" way to wear it?

I also thought it was agreed that delving into stereotypes was bad. Again, does that only apply to people we like?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
This is just my old age speaking, but is anyone really "cool"? I tend to think no matter how old we get were all still a bunch of idiot children.

The only cool people are folks like Kevin Smith, folk that don't give a shit and just wanna chill and have a good time.
Wow. That's quite the nitpicking you got going on there.
Fine. Well, it was just another word to avoid repeating suave. However, Kevin Smith is quite close to the neckbeard crowd in my opinion. I enjoy some of his movies, but I also understand that he's extremely vocal about his opinions and take critisism like a little child.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I'm confused. I am seeing alot of anti-hat sentiment for bugger all. You guys say hats in general look stupid...care to elaborate? I myself don't wear them but I don't generally see anything wrong with them. Personally I would love to have a fedora or a trilby...a newsboy cap wouldn't be all that bad either.

Buckshaft

Jan 12, 2014
Here's the idea. Both the people who have given the Fedora it's "Image" If you can call it that, nor the people who spend all their time criticising it, hardly ever leave the house. Even if they did, what would they do? Go up to you in the street and criticise it? As if.

Wear whatever the hell you want to. Don't let someone online, who can't look past what somebody fucking wears, stop you. I mean, seriously. There is no "Hatred" of the Fedora IRL, just what people have created online. I mean it's true most people can't pull it off, but like you're going to look anymore stupid than someone wearing a snapback and muscle shirt, or whatever.

Also, calling MRAs and Feminists a "War" Is a massive exaggeration. At best, it's a slapfight in a car park. To the outside observer, it's a pissing contest. "Who's the bigger arsehole" If you will.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Smolderin said:
I'm confused. I am seeing alot of anti-hat sentiment for bugger all. You guys say hats in general look stupid...care to elaborate? I myself don't wear them but I don't generally see anything wrong with them. Personally I would love to have a fedora or a trilby...a newsboy cap wouldn't be all that bad either.
Well, I didn't say that, myself. Hats are just hats, but some are more demanding than others, and will clash terribly with the rest of an outfit. Hats aren't the problem, wearing them in a way that complements one's appearance and the rest of the outfit is the difficult part.

erttheking said:
I thought the agreed point was that society's definitions of beauty style and fashion was bullshit. What, does that only apply to people we like?

On another note, this is STILL a thing? I like to wear a scally cap, do I need to be lectured on the "proper" way to wear it?

I also thought it was agreed that delving into stereotypes was bad. Again, does that only apply to people we like?
Well, I wasn't present at that summit, at least as far as I remember. Perhaps it is beyond a certain point, but some things tend to look universally bad.

Stereotypes aren't good or bad, I'd say. What is bad in reguarding stereotypes is when people forget what they are; broad generalisations that might not be (and often aren't) true.

Captcha: stony-hearted. Well, thanks for the input, C. : <

Stone hearted Knight Kato of basic dressing.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
DanielBrown said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

Wow. That's quite the nitpicking you got going on there.
Fine. Well, it was just another word to avoid repeating suave. However, Kevin Smith is quite close to the neckbeard crowd in my opinion. I enjoy some of his movies, but I also understand that he's extremely vocal about his opinions and take critisism like a little child.
You should listen to some smodcasts and reevaluate your position, because I assure you he's nothing like that.

Film Critics just got pissy when he said he's no longer going to try to make movies to impress them, cause why should he? He's got a loyal audience that shows up no matter what, so long as he keeps the budget for his flicks low he doesn't need their press. And truthfully he's right, a huge chunk in a films budget is wasted on marketing films towards people that have no interest in seeing them. but I'm going on a tangent.

The guys a massive stoner these days that makes people laugh.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
BeerTent said:
Feminism didn't kill those stupid fuckin' hats. MEN killed those stupid fuckin' hats by looking like goddamn idiots.
HAHAHA oh lord...thats perfect!

[quote/]Hide your tattoo for your job interviews.
Get rid of that dumb-fuckin' wallet chain.
Keep your fetish gear out of sight.
Only wear those 'asshole beer shirts' when you're having a lazy day in-house.
Same with pub-crawl shirts.
And so on and so on.[/quote]

this is no doubt a fact of life...I do however think you can balance the two

SaneAmongInsane said:

I know I already siad this but I think the difference is when Yahtzee wore a trilby is suited him, it fit his personality, when some cluless nerd wears one it doesnt suit him at all

Uncle Comrade said:
exactly

I don't actually like judging others on their clothing choice...to me its hypocritical as Ive never cared much about clothing (which isn't entirly true...I just had to figure out how to do it my way...because I reeeeaaally suck at being a girl)

but once you see it you can't unsee it, and thats the problem

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Bat Vader said:
While I do find fedoras to look cool I much prefer a Hooligan or Driver's cap.
Hopefully nobody runs off and gives those a bad image! :D I prefer to wear my 100-year-old leather newsboy cap. It goes with just about everything, both smart and casual.
I might buy one! I was trying on a bunch of hats a few months ago waiting for the person i was with to finally pick a goddamn pair of jeans and I thought it was basically the only hat that kind of looked good on me.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
I don't actually assume a person in a fedora is a sexist MRA, I assume that anyone wearing a fedora must be blind or have a strange desire to look stupid. It's an ugly hat and nobody, regardless of the rest of their apparel, looks good with one on. It's a failure of fashion and should be forgotten like powdered wigs and parachute pants. If linking it with undesirable traits is what it takes to make it disappear I will continue to do so, may the shame prevent the lame.

My favorite club in Las Vegas banned those ugly ass Ed Hardy and Affliction clothes because of negative connotations so I know it can work.

Good bye fedora, I won't miss you.

Buckshaft

Jan 12, 2014
delta4062 said:
Buckshaft said:
Here's the idea. Both the people who have given the Fedora it's "Image" If you can call it that, nor the people who spend all their time criticising it, hardly ever leave the house. Even if they did, what would they do? Go up to you in the street and criticise it? As if.

Wear whatever the hell you want to. Don't let someone online, who can't look past what somebody fucking wears, stop you. I mean, seriously. There is no "Hatred" of the Fedora IRL, just what people have created online. I mean it's true most people can't pull it off, but like you're going to look anymore stupid than someone wearing a snapback and muscle shirt, or whatever.

Also, calling MRAs and Feminists a "War" Is a massive exaggeration. At best, it's a slapfight in a car park. To the outside observer, it's a pissing contest. "Who's the bigger arsehole" If you will.
I've actually criticised someone in the street for it. He was the stereotypical hiptser image we've seen in this thread. I simply said he looks fucking stupid with that hat and went on about my day.
Oh, Wow, you truly did humanity a service. You know, if he's got any sense, he'll keep on wearing it. I have no doubt he looked like an absolute spacker, and probably was one too. But just because you don't like how somebody looks, that doesn't give you the right to walk up to them in the street and insult them to their face. Why? Because that's bad manners. I'm sure you only said it with the best of intentions, and no offence, but that is something a total arsewipe would do.

I read something earlier in this thread about people on here acting like the fashion police, well too right.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Padwolf said:
I don't hate the fedora. I don't hate what you wear it with. I don't give a damn. All I ask is that you learn the difference between a trilby and a fedora. For the love of god please people learn the damn difference. All it takes is one google search to learn. That's all you need to do. Do or wear whatever the hell you want to, however you want, but please, learn what hate you are actually wearing! Everyone, please!

As ever with fedoras, here is a handy chart.
You ninja'd me! How dare you!

But I am 100% with you. I own both fedoras and a trilby. Though I'm more fond of my fedoras than the trilby I have managed to wear it once and make it look good.

to the op: If boys in trilbys would stop treating me like I'm not a person and just a machine to dispense sex because I'm read as female maybe I might like em better. As it is however.....And I'm not even talking about on the internet. There's a reason I don't go out unless I have to. Stupid boys in trilbys hitting on me and expecting me to dispense sex to them just because they are "nice" to me and then when I reject them becoming very scarily dangerous towards me.......my city is a terrible place to be unfortunately. I had my car egged after I rejected a guy(like later that night) you can't tell me that's not a coincidence since it's never been egged before.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
This is the internet. Just wait a few years, and everyone will forget that some kind of argument I've never heard before...what were we talking about again?
Since you're on the Escapist, your best bet is feminism of some variety.
Padwolf said:
I don't hate the fedora. I don't hate what you wear it with. I don't give a damn. All I ask is that you learn the difference between a trilby and a fedora. For the love of god please people learn the damn difference. All it takes is one google search to learn. That's all you need to do. Do or wear whatever the hell you want to, however you want, but please, learn what hate you are actually wearing! Everyone, please!
QFT. Seriously people, learn your hats! It's not hard and makes you look immeasurably more intelligent!

Once I pondered getting a bowler hat because fuck you that's why so I could make fun of people who said "Nice fedora." Alas, I couldn't find one to fit in my budget. I got a pocketwatch instead. Then some jackhole stole it.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Blow_Pop said:
Padwolf said:

As ever with fedoras, here is a handy chart.
You ninja'd me! How dare you!

But I am 100% with you. I own both fedoras and a trilby. Though I'm more fond of my fedoras than the trilby I have managed to wear it once and make it look good.

to the op: If boys in trilbys would stop treating me like I'm not a person and just a machine to dispense sex because I'm read as female maybe I might like em better. As it is however.....And I'm not even talking about on the internet. There's a reason I don't go out unless I have to. Stupid boys in trilbys hitting on me and expecting me to dispense sex to them just because they are "nice" to me and then when I reject them becoming very scarily dangerous towards me.......my city is a terrible place to be unfortunately. I had my car egged after I rejected a guy(like later that night) you can't tell me that's not a coincidence since it's never been egged before.
T'was a joke topic Blow Pop, but now you've gone real on me. It's like...

Riddler: RIDDLE ME THIS BATMAN!

Batman: No, how about I Riddle you, Riddler! Who's stopping that kid 3 blocks away from being molested by his stepfather while I'm busy wasting time with your shenanigans!

Riddler: ...Wow... Geeze, you just got real on me Batman. Child Molestation? Look I'll disarm the bomb and let the hostages go, you go do what you gotta do. ...Fucking aye, I remember this shit use to be fun...

Anyway, I wouldn't really know how it is out there. I live in the suburbs, and either I'm at work or I'm home.