I re-watched all 5 home releases of the Jurassic Park Movies so you don't have to

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So this weekend I decided to subject myself to all 5 available Jurassic movies. I'd already started my journey before deciding I'd refuse to see the new movie as I'm tired of supporting the rampart hollywood nepotism surrounding it plus its the Pacific Rim: Uprising writers, thats an even better excuse. I'm undecided if I feel like writing so I'll just summarize my thoughts for now.

Jurassic Park 9/10

At this point Jurassic Parks rough edges are just starting to show in the special effects department, but I remain unable to pick apart the narrative or acting. I can't help but wonder if the fact that Michael Crichton was directly involved in production didn't have some impact on that. Being a hardened author he's used to having people pick apart the fine details.

I was watching Mr Sundays movies comedy reviews of the Jurassic Park films last week and they noted Hammond is actually a bit of asshole. On rewatched I'd never really noticed, but yeah for most of the movie it's clear he doesn't give a fuck about dinosaurs, he's a huckster and its not until late in the film, after being lectured multiple that he shows any humanity.

In retrospect Nedry is the most three dimensional villain of the franchise. He's selfish and money grubbing much like all the other villains in this series, but you have a clear picture of his overall character and why he does what he does and when. The setup and payoff his comeuppance works.

I've probably seen Jurassic Park 30-40 times since it's release. It was so popular it was in theaters for a year I believe. I know I was dragged to it in theaters by friends and family many times. It was one of those movies somebody always had next to the VCR right by Independence Day, Die Hard and Aliens etc. Despite that I always manage to rewatch it once every couple years and it never really gets old.

Jurassic Park: Lost World 4/10

Or as I like to call it - fucking awful. I really get the impression production had a lot of confusion and mishaps because the movie is just all over the place literally and figuratively. By the end of it I felt like Spielberg filmed several movies and edited them together. It relies on most of the cast consistently making stupid and illogical choices to move the plot forward. They start off the island for too much of the movie, then do a plot about saving dinosaurs, then a plot about villains stealing dinosaurs, then a lengthy plot of them escaping, then hunting the T-REX, and then they fast cut back to mainland for the escaped T-REX story.

Theres some editing issues as well with the female second T-REX disappearing from the movie inexplicably (I looked around online just to make sure I'm not crazy, its gone after the waterfall scene.) as well as the strange fastcut from island to the harbor which makes it seem like only minutes pass between and finally the strange scene of the dead boat crew and the T-rex escaping and then being locked in the hold.

This all isn't to say the movie doesn't have fun scenes and solid acting, but it's struggles to take the audience on an adventure with people they care about. Theres no real time spent with any of them, its in all just incohesive, meaningless noise and too many storylines.

Jurassic Park III 6/10

I'm lying when I say its a 6/10. Its closer to a 7/10, but I suspect I'm a minority on this one. Unlike the Escapist movie critics I'll happily eat peanut butter ice cream everyday. I do not deem "different" to always be "better", and in this case I'm not bothered in the least by Jurassic Park III being a retread of Jurassic Park. I'd absolutely agree it's more of the same, but I wouldn't call it a shitty remake, it's more like a solid expansion DLC. Kid is trapped on island parents kidnap Sam Neill and force him to rescue kid and help them escape while they gawk at pretty dinosaurs. Everybody claps at the end.

I think the cast and the dialog is great. I never felt like any stupid decisions are made outside of whats expected from the fish out of water characters and theres no "snidely whiplash" this time around which is nice. I liked the mercenary was like "These two are idiots I'm following you guys." I also appreciated that, unlike lost world, I was seeing more of the islands and dinosaurs, specifically I thought it was about damn time we got to see the Pterodones.

The movie benefits greatly from being a hot 1 1/2 hours. I have this weird thing where every couple years I'll watch this again on its own and I think part of that it not really having any story investment. There's rough 15 minutes of setup establishing the characters and then its running and screaming literally until the last 2 minutes of the film. This is intercut with barely 30 seconds every 15 minutes or so adding subtle depth to the characters motivations. In a way it reminds me of "Honey, I shrunk the kids". Just a fun popcorn movie.

Jurassic World 6/10

I remember being kind of eeh about Jurassic World when it first came out but on 2nd/3rd viewing I find myself softening a bit. Its like Jurassic world is a fun friend that has a fart joke that they just have to do every where you go. Jurassic World is Jurassic Park again with new cool dinosaurs, fun chase scenes, but this time everyone is stupid.

Because the Park is only making billions of dollars a year in profit they decide to actually start genetically engineering Dinosaurs to be Super villains, but they take no real precautions, they don't do any studies, and theres an actual scene where the guy who owns the park demands to know whats in the Boss Monster and the head scientist is both baffled by its abilities, but also actually says "he's not at liberty to say"? The F? I assume there's some external movie online material or AR crap that explains that while the Billionaire guy owns the park and is in charge INGENE owns the gene stuff, but if you just watch the movie it all comes off as inept morons running the show. Theres also the question of why, if the Monster is missing, they'd immediately go in the paddock to investigate without being absolutely confident there isn't an error with the thermal system. The monster then escapes despite the fact it still has the tracker and hasnt torn it out yet. Lot of logical leaps. The billionaire decides to be an action hero and with all the security on the island hes "only" helicopter pilot? Theres a lot of this throughout the movie. Promptly crashes into the Pterodones cage, causing chaos ten fold.

The snidely whiplash villain this time around wants to use raptors as weapons. It would be nice if the villains were actual people and not silly SNL characters. Like why can't he just be a military guy out of options? Speaking of silly, theres a lot of oxygen wasted on Jake Johnson throughout the film as a comp troller. They have him make some snarky remark every couple scenes and do comedy relief. I feel like when you "put" comedy relief in your movie that's when you know your vision just isn't quite there. Overall the movie is enjoyable, I just wish it wasn't built on stupid logic to function. I just can't see myself ever watching it again, but it was ok. I thought family & kids surrogates were fairly genuine. I was sad for the dinosaurs.

Jurassic World Dominion 5/10

You know, I just finished JWD this morning I'm already kind of forgetting what all happened. It's very forgettable. So the hook is the dinosaur are all gonna die, and go extinct so we gotta save them. Well here's my first problem - No they're not, they can just clone more. The writers want you to gloss over that fact. I'm tired of hollywood using LCD test audiences and just hoping the rest of us won't ask questions. It feels like every shitty tentpole movie does now, like "wtf would an old dagger point to a crashed deathstar?". Shit like that. Respect your fucking audience.

Anyway yadda yadda action, explosions, they were actually capturing the Dinosaurs snidely whiplash selling dinosaur to fund genetics to make dinosaurs. Why use a gun when you can point dinosaurs? clone girl, why? who cares, but you just had to take time give us the exposition for it anyway. Actually there's two snidely whiplashes in this one - Idiot Billionaire who wants to sell dinosaurs and then evil henchmen who hunts dinosaurs. The henchman this time around literally walks up and lets the super monster out despite the fact that earlier in the movie his tranquilizer darts failed to disable a velociraptor so he should at least be cautious. Fuckin whatever (RESPECT YOUR AUDIENCE).

What I found interestingly stupid about this one, and I can't be the only that raised my hand, was how cheaply they were selling the Dinosaurs. If you actually watch the auction most of them go for like 2-15 million dollars which I thought was strangely out of touch. In todays economy thats chump change anymore, like elephants cost a million dollars. Houses cost a million dollars, A living dinosaur would be like half a billion dollars realistically. I'm surprised literally no one production found that curious.

Jurassic World Dominion ultimately is kind of just a rehash of Jurassic Park: Lost World fumbling with the same problems. It starts and ends off the island and is largely just noise. There's no real arc for any of the characters. This time around you genuinely don't care about anybody. I think they would have been better served to have Chris Pratt sacrifice himself or something to add some emotion to the movie.

Its only real redeeming quality is finally getting the Dinosaurs off the island to hopefully blow up the statue of liberty and turn humans into mindless savages, or hollywood writers.

im-so-tired-gif-8.gif

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Did you skip Fallen Kingdom because you were afraid its sheer amount of suck would hurt or did you just forget it existed? I mean I don't blame you either way since any movie that made one of its signature effects scenes MURDERING the Brachiosaurus from the first movie was likely to end up on the everyone's shit list.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
At this point Jurassic Parks rough edges are just starting to show in the special effects department, but I remain unable to pick apart the narrative or acting. I can't help but wonder if the fact that Michael Crichton was directly involved in production didn't have some impact on that. Being a hardened author he's used to having people pick apart the fine details.
You can pick apart the narrative quite easily. Nedry's plan for example makes little sense, since him leaving his hacker mark immediately indights him. So even if he got away with the embryos and got paid (which was obviously his plan), he'd still go to jail for life probably for stealing company secrets, sabotage, and murder in the 2nd degree. The movie left out Nedry's plan to get the can of embryos in a freezer on a boat, and then return to his work station without anyone noticing anything out of the ordinary, as it was in the book.

Also, as iconic as 'life.. uh, uh... finds a way' is, it's kinda hogwash with the knowledge Malcolm has at that moment in time. He couldn't know yet, but he does because it happens later in the movie. But then in the book Malcolm was way more obnoxious being an obvious self-insert for the writer who was aware of everything that was wrong with the park somehow omnipotently.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Did you skip Fallen Kingdom because you were afraid its sheer amount of suck would hurt or did you just forget it existed? I mean I don't blame you either way since any movie that made one of its signature effects scenes MURDERING the Brachiosaurus from the first movie was likely to end up on the everyone's shit list.
That was a typo should have been Fallen Kingdom. I had some sort of forum error that wouldn't let me edit my post :(

One problem I had with the Brachiosaurus scene is that a good 2-3 minutes maybe goes by where theyre just sitting in the harbor watching it try to get off the island, I was like "Umm why dont they just pull back up?". But even leading to that the scene where the big 10-20 truck going 40mph flys upwards through the air off the dock and land on the boat 20ft away I laughed out. Fast & Furious physics right there. So you have this climactic scene of them soaring off the dock and they sit do nothing for 5 minutes while this Brachiosaurus is like "Guys?...guys?". Its awkward as fuck.

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
In that case, my apologies.
Honestly I keep forgetting its called Fallen Kingdom. I couldn't tell you why, it just doesn't stick with me. Its a really vague generic hollywood name. Its better suited to a steven seagall straight to video movie. Same thing with Dominion. It just feels like they picked those names out of a hat.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Honestly I keep forgetting its called Fallen Kingdom. I couldn't tell you why, it just doesn't stick with me. Its a really vague generic hollywood name. Its better suited to a steven seagall straight to video movie. Same thing with Dominion. It just feels like they picked those names out of a hat.
I’ve always seen it as a large dart board they throw interns at like in Wolf of Wall Street

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
-"...so you don't have to."

Too late! :p

Anyway, personal ranking and scores for the JP films would be as follows, though bear in mind that it's been ages since I've seen most of them:

1: Jurassic Park (9/10)
2: The Lost World (7/10)
3: Jurassic World (7/10)
4: Fallen Kingdom (6/10)
5: Jurassic Park III (5/10)

Anyway, concerning your takes on the movies:

JURASSIC PARK

I don't have much to say here - the movie's excellent, we all know it, there's little I, or anyone could say that hasn't been said already. But concerning speicifc points:

Hammond: I don't see Hammond as an asshole. I certainly see what you're getting at, but while Hammond is a flawed figure, I don't think he's a malignant one. He does clearly care about the dinosaurs, such as him being there for hatchings, his joy in seeing the dinosaurs ("welcome to Jurassic Park"), his refusal to enact the Lysene (sp.?) contingency, and his quiet grief at the end. Hammond clearly does care for the people around him in a sense, such as asking Muldoon to pick up Lex and Tim (and inviting them at all, being happy to see them), and he wants his guests to be as enamored with his creations as he is.

That said, I'm not giving Hammond a free pass, and I don't think anyone should. I mean, Malcolm puts it best ("you wield genetics like a kid who's found his dad's gun"), he's arrogant, he doesn't fully appreciate the implications of what he's done, he's careless, etc. He's the well meaning but naive venture capitalist. But I think Hammond's still a sympathetic individual, and he does get some moral redemption in the sequel film.

Nedry: I really disagree about him being the most fleshed out antagonist. Is he a good character? Yeah. Does his motivations make sense? Pretty much - he wants money, Hammond won't give him enough money, he partakes in corporate espionage to get more money. However, that's kind of my point - Nedry's motivations are simple, and there's no hidden depth to him. Honestly, I don't think the JP films are ones you can readily assign "villains" to, but if anything, I'd say the most in-depth "villain" (barring anti-heroes) would be Peter Ludlow.

Speaking of which:

THE LOST WORLD

For the life of me, I can't understand why this film gets so much flak. It's like this weird inverse when Lost World seems to get more flak over the years, while JP3 gets less, and, well, you can already guess what I think of both films. Me personally, though, I like this film. I think it's a worthy follow-up, if unneeded (but then, being "unneeded" is the same for every sequel film).

Concerning your points, I really don't agree about the plot being disjointed. Everything up to San Diego flows sequentially, I'm not sure what the issue is there. And sure, in fairness, the San Diego rampage is arguably a bit 'segregated,' as in, Nick just disappears, there's no explanation as to how the T-rex got free and ate the crew (yet got back in its hatch...what?), but I have two counter-points. One, the sequence is awesome, so bleh. Secondly, and more importantly, it fits in with the film's overall theme, of the dangers of mankind encroaching on and interfering with nature. This is part of what bugs me with the Lost World/JP3 dichotomy. The themes of JP 1 are explicit, we probably all agree there, but I'd argue that the theme of JP 2 naturally builds off of it. If JP 1 highlights the dangers of unrestrained science, JP 2 highlights the dangers of unthinking exploration and exploitation. One flows into the other, and I don't think that's a stretch, Hammond basically sums up the film's theme at the end. The San Diego rampage is arguably schlock, but the film's clearly aware of its linneage and what it's trying to say, and IMO, is extremely underrated.

JURASSIC PARK III

Obviously we're opposites here. I don't get how you could call JP3 "more of the same," when IMO, they're opposites. In the space of three movies, we've gone from intelligent sci-fi adventure (JP 1) to B-movie schlock (JP3). That's not to say it's schlock without some fun, but it's schlock all the same. It isn't interested in any kind of deeper theme or exploration, it isn't really interested in wonder, period. The closest I can get to a theme in JP3 is evolution (Grant's character arc, the pterasaurs), but the film even messes that up. For instance, the ending is clearly trying to mimic the ending of JP 1, substituting birds for pterasaurs, but having the same music doesn't work, because if you actually consider it, pterasaurs flying off Isla Sorna is terrifying, while the birds flying in JP 1 work on different levels (dinosaurs evolved into birds, the beauty of the present versus resurrecting the past, etc.) Heck, even the "evolution" theme is something that JP1 does better.

Oh, and we get one "awe shot" that attempts to recapture the "welcome to Jurassic Park" moment from the first film, when the crew's going down the river, but it's like the film just wants to get it over with, considering how quickly the moment passes. JP 1 worked because it started with wonder and descended into nightmare. JP 3 starts with the wonder, throws in an "awe scene," then gets back to the action.

So, yeah. Not a fan. Every JP film I've seen has been more than a simple action movie bar JP3, which is part of the reason why it's so far down. But even if it was stand-alone, it would still be a dumb action movie and nothing else. Heck, it's part of why I kind of prefer the novelization, since it fleshes out the characters a bit better, especially Grant.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
JURASSIC WORLD

If I had to sum up JW in two words, it would be "dumb fun." Fun, to be sure, extremely fun in some cases, but it's fun that relies on the characters being idiots a lot of the time. Per your take, there's not much I disagree with. The only thing is that I'm a bit more sympathetic to the idea of using raptors as weapons, the reason being that while the idea's silly in of itself, the world of Jurassic Park isn't explicitly our world. Even by JW, this is a setting where genetic resurrection is passe, so I could buy the idea that someone, somewhere, got the idea of using raptors as bio-weapons.

Honestly, I think JW gets more flak than it deserves. It's silly, sure, but it's a massive step up from JP3 - characters are better, it actually has a theme ("the want of more,") and while I think having a functional park at all arguably undercuts JP1, it does work overall. Also, I can't help but reflect on the irony of having a bronze statue of Hammond when in reality, he'd have detested the park's existence.

FALLEN KINGDOM

I was extremely mixed on Fallen Kingdom when I saw it, and I'm extremely mixed now. I could actually see it falling to bottom spot in some scenarios. JP3 is the dumber film, but it's arguably a more entertaining one. In contrast, Fallen Kingdom plays with some interesting ideas, but it botches a lot of them, and isn't that entertaining of a film until you get to the horror sequences with the Indoraptor. So pick your poison I guess.

So, yeah, I don't really have a counter-point to a lot of what you said, but I will bring one thing up, and that's Maisie. I really like the idea behind this, and it's an idea that the franchise has never really explored (to my knowledge). If you have the technology to resurrect dinosaurs, what happens when that technology is used for other applications? In this case, human cloning? The reason I give Fallen Kingdom credit is that it's very aware of what it's saying - that you can't put technology back in the bottle. That genetic technology is out in the world, and someone, somewhere, is going to find uses for it, dinosaurs or otherwise. And of course, humans being dumbasses, all we do it for is bringing back dinosaurs and cloning girls because of daddy issues rather than, I dunno, resurrecting condors?

Now, none of that really excuses how silly Fallen Kingdom is, or how uninteresting it is in a lot of areas, but I'll give credit where it's due, Fallen Kingdom significantly shifts the status quo, and has things to say, even if it's hardly on the level of the films that came before it.

Also, I don't know what the problem with murdering the Brachisaurus is. The entire scene signifies the end of Isla Nublar, the end of an era where dinosaurs were confined to 1/2 islands, and it inverts the wonder of JP 1's Brachiosaurs with the horror on display here. IMO, it's one of the things that fully works here.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
JURASSIC WORLD

If I had to sum up JW in two words, it would be "dumb fun." Fun, to be sure, extremely fun in some cases, but it's fun that relies on the characters being idiots a lot of the time. Per your take, there's not much I disagree with. The only thing is that I'm a bit more sympathetic to the idea of using raptors as weapons, the reason being that while the idea's silly in of itself, the world of Jurassic Park isn't explicitly our world. Even by JW, this is a setting where genetic resurrection is passe, so I could buy the idea that someone, somewhere, got the idea of using raptors as bio-weapons.

Honestly, I think JW gets more flak than it deserves. It's silly, sure, but it's a massive step up from JP3 - characters are better, it actually has a theme ("the want of more,") and while I think having a functional park at all arguably undercuts JP1, it does work overall. Also, I can't help but reflect on the irony of having a bronze statue of Hammond when in reality, he'd have detested the park's existence.

FALLEN KINGDOM

I was extremely mixed on Fallen Kingdom when I saw it, and I'm extremely mixed now. I could actually see it falling to bottom spot in some scenarios. JP3 is the dumber film, but it's arguably a more entertaining one. In contrast, Fallen Kingdom plays with some interesting ideas, but it botches a lot of them, and isn't that entertaining of a film until you get to the horror sequences with the Indoraptor. So pick your poison I guess.

So, yeah, I don't really have a counter-point to a lot of what you said, but I will bring one thing up, and that's Maisie. I really like the idea behind this, and it's an idea that the franchise has never really explored (to my knowledge). If you have the technology to resurrect dinosaurs, what happens when that technology is used for other applications? In this case, human cloning? The reason I give Fallen Kingdom credit is that it's very aware of what it's saying - that you can't put technology back in the bottle. That genetic technology is out in the world, and someone, somewhere, is going to find uses for it, dinosaurs or otherwise. And of course, humans being dumbasses, all we do it for is bringing back dinosaurs and cloning girls because of daddy issues rather than, I dunno, resurrecting condors?

Now, none of that really excuses how silly Fallen Kingdom is, or how uninteresting it is in a lot of areas, but I'll give credit where it's due, Fallen Kingdom significantly shifts the status quo, and has things to say, even if it's hardly on the level of the films that came before it.

Also, I don't know what the problem with murdering the Brachisaurus is. The entire scene signifies the end of Isla Nublar, the end of an era where dinosaurs were confined to 1/2 islands, and it inverts the wonder of JP 1's Brachiosaurs with the horror on display here. IMO, it's one of the things that fully works here.
If it weren't for the fact that JW relies too heavily on a series of odd choices and mistakes to function I'd say I enjoy it more than JP3. For me it really comes down to which movies I would sit through on a rainy afternoon. JW is a close second to JP3, but I found my eye twitching at some clichés and around the time they decide to have an awkward scene with Jake Johnson hitting on that girl I was just getting bored. That said Dominus Rex works for me, getting to see the Megolodon was cool as shit. It has a lot of things going for it.

I think that's where Fallen Kingdom falls short. I agree Maisie is a compelling idea, but it feels like whipcream on a 3 tiered cake. It's just one more thing going on and Fallen Kingdom feels bloated. Maisie deserved a better movie.

One thing I think that I felt grossly affected my opinions on the films were the samey villains in everyone. There's fairly universal agreement that complex villains are more enjoyable to watch on screen. I think Vader really hit iconography when we learn he's not only lukes father, but when his inner conflict is shown. I really liked the choice to make the Roland character three dimensional in Jurassic Park: Lost World, Hammonds nephew however was a cartoon. They literally copy/pasta the same character as the villain of Fallen Kingdom which frustrated me immensely. Then they copy/pasta Rolands character as well, but make him a giant fucking idiot.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I agree with the sentiment that Roland is the best "villain" character of the movies. His arc his really nice in how quiet it is in relation to the rest of the movie. He comes to the island to hunt a T-Rex, and it's certainly a motivation one can understand a long time hunter to have, and he realizes too late what was more important and loses his protege who he was passing on his skills and knowledge to. Its an arc similar to Hammond's in the first film, to stop chasing the past and glory and focus on the future and passing the torch, but unlike Hammond, he got his glory but lost what was important.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I agree with the sentiment that Roland is the best "villain" character of the movies. His arc his really nice in how quiet it is in relation to the rest of the movie. He comes to the island to hunt a T-Rex, and it's certainly a motivation one can understand a long time hunter to have, and he realizes too late what was more important and loses his protege who he was passing on his skills and knowledge to. Its an arc similar to Hammond's in the first film, to stop chasing the past and glory and focus on the future and passing the torch, but unlike Hammond, he got his glory but lost what was important.
Objection! Roland is an anti-hero!

But yeah, I agree. I'd also argue that you can draw comparisons with Muldoon and Tembo, though Tembo's the 'darker' character. They're both hunters, but Muldoon has his "I've had enough of death" arc, while Muldoon is generally upstanding from the get-go.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
I'm sorry you felt you had to that. But now you've started, you should probably finish with the 90s TV show...

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Objection! Roland is an anti-hero!

But yeah, I agree. I'd also argue that you can draw comparisons with Muldoon and Tembo, though Tembo's the 'darker' character. They're both hunters, but Muldoon has his "I've had enough of death" arc, while Muldoon is generally upstanding from the get-go.
That is why I put "villain" in quotation marks. He only gets in direct opposition with our protagonist because they fucked up his camp and got everyone in a really bad situation.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yeah, he's only a villain in that he objects to the hero when they decide they want to be villainous for some reason and get people killed.
Yeah, I feel like Mr.Sabatuer should have been called out more for being the cause of so many people dying. His opening of the cages, bringing the Rex baby back to base, and his replacing Roland's bullets with blanks get people killed.

Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
That is why I put "villain" in quotation marks. He only gets in direct opposition with our protagonist because they fucked up his camp and got everyone in a really bad situation.
Yeah hes really only an antagonist, by circumstance. Theres a blink and youll miss it scene, after deter goes missing where he tells Malcoms idiot girlfriend not to tell his daughter whats going on with deter, because its probably going to be gruesome. They really made an effort to add some humanity to him. As much as I hate lost world this character architype is missed in the later films, though I appreciated Mr. Udesky awareness of frankness, though not a villain, his role would normally be an antagonist in these movies. Instead hes just along for the ride. Unfortunately his death is when JP3 really jumps the shark and is the catalyst for the stupider direction the series takes. I assume theres a scene in dominion where the dinosaurs pull a heist like in Oceans 11.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I saw Dominion today.

I'm still processing my thoughts, but I can easily slide it into an overall series ranking of:

1: Jurassic Park
2: The Lost World
3: Jurassic World
4: Dominion
5: Fallen Kingdom
6: Jurassic Park III

Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That was a typo should have been Fallen Kingdom. I had some sort of forum error that wouldn't let me edit my post

One problem I had with the Brachiosaurus scene is that a good 2-3 minutes maybe goes by where theyre just sitting in the harbor watching it try to get off the island, I was like "Umm why dont they just pull back up?". But even leading to that the scene where the big 10-20 truck going 40mph flys upwards through the air off the dock and land on the boat 20ft away I laughed out. Fast & Furious physics right there. So you have this climactic scene of them soaring off the dock and they sit do nothing for 5 minutes while this Brachiosaurus is like "Guys?...guys?". Its awkward as fuck.
It might be either a text limit or that coupled with the gif at the end. Other times it would be from an emoji but that isn’t the case here.

*edit* Whelp, it was for me replying to your post.