I really didn't like Assassin's Creed 3. Here's why.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Well, sorry to hear and thank you for confirming my - our - expectations.

From the get-go, the AssCreed series was losing focus, and fast. A lot of integral gameplay elements were nothing more but subroutines of code, and that... disconnect seems to have gotten worse with every iteration.

I myself stopped wanting to care about the series right during the first one, because the fighting felt like a half-assed, over-complicated rehash of something Jordan Mechner on LSD might have come up with, and I plain don't care about a game that revises history to the point of painting Templars the bad guys. That's plain not fair and it severely negates the 'ooh we're so multicultural and cuddly' statement from the intro I plain could not be arsed to shell out any cash to shovel any more bull crap into my home. I played pretty much all the half dozen or so iterations leading up to magic number three, and I still can't shake the feeling of finding myself at the wrong end of a poop-covered ten-foot pole.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
I fired up Assassin's Creed II the other day to get a feel for how much has changed.

1) Holy shit, it's annoying running around on the streets with musicians going out of their way to get in your face.
2) Can one of these streets actually point me in the direction I'm going in rather than curve back around. Good thing the roofs are a less annoying highway.
3) The fall-down mechanic while free running on roofs gets real old, real quick. The run button is forever linked in my mind to "jump to your death" so I tend to avoid using as much as possible (just using the R1 button). Which works right up until the moment you want to hop ever so slightly to a line connecting buildings and suddenly your hanging from a ledge.
4) The whole head, active hand, free hand, legs thing is annoying in combat, since the two most useful functions are on the same button. Also the lock-on feature is kind of all over the place. Sometimes I immediately lock onto my opponent, other times I get hit a couple of times before realizing I can't access my Counter command because I'm not locked on. Still other times, I've managed to lock on to someone without realizing it meaning I can't run to this guy over here attacking my ally.
5) How many times do I have to circle around this building while I'm climbing it. Climbing towers can be really, really tedious. I don't mind having to puzzle out how to get up somewhere. In fact, I prefer that kind of thing (such as having to jump from a neighboring building), but I'm not a huge fan of the needlessly winding linear path up the side of tower.

On the plus side, I'm quickly introduced to a likeable protagonist who has a good chunk of his abilities from the start. I also like how I get to choose when cut-scenes start, unlike ACIII where I frequently found myself in a months long cut-scene while I was waiting for an opportunity to loot a corpse.

zdewd93

Nov 12, 2012
Ok, so i literally just signed up to this forum just to reply to this post. Here are my problems with the game, going from the least annoying to most disturbing.

#1. Desmond. Is it just me, or has Desmond undergone a transformation with each passing game?

#2. Confusion. First of all with this I would like to talk about homesteading, naval missions, and the account book. As you clearly pointed out, there really are no point to either of them except for cash grabs, and, also as you pointed out, currency is just as pointless in this game except for one to say "I'm rich B$7ch". Now for this, theres not much more to be said except "fix it ubi", so I'm going to offer a suggestion for ubisoft. If they would revert back to the old games where you would actually get a reward for saving people, even small amounts, and then...well, Im not sure what to do about the weapons system, but giving us a better choice would be a start...then this game would have been a bit better. But when you pay 5000 euro or florine or what currency is in this game to get a weapon that has worse stats then the stone tomahok, somethings not right.\

#3. Now, I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few points here. First off, I never had trouble...well, running away from a firing squad, I could climb all day and they'de never hit me. My problem with escaping was the simple fact that it was not possible. Every time I would think I'm in the clear, 40 or 50 more guys would start shooting at me. However, I will agree with you on how unaffective free-running is, regardless of whether or not you can escape the amry thats following you, because in my mind, thats the main attraction to all of the assins creed games, at least to me. Being able to climb up a building and then parkouring your way across the city. But when I first started playing this game, and got up my first building, I looked at the gap between me and the next building and thought "Huu, they must have given us super-jump, sweet"...SPLAT. Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore some of the new moves and mechanics of free-running that they have implemented into this game, such as being able to climb trees (something I never imagined I'd be able to do in ANY assassins creed game) as well as vaulting over tables and small fences, diving under the gaps in other fences, and especially running through rooms, I mean, its amazing, some of the things they've brought to the table. But the things they've removed from the table are what made assassins creed so great in the first place.

Other then all that, so far I have been pretty satisfied with the game. I love the twist in the plot, it's practically whats kept me playing this game till 2-3 o'clock in the morning the last couple of nights, but I hope if ubi does another ac (I haven't finished the game yet, unfortunately, so I don't know if this is the end of the series or not, and I don't keep up with game news, it was a miracle I knew this one was coming out)then i hope they can kinda...go back to the basics and do a better job. Peace out.

thestatickitten

Nov 11, 2012
my problem is about how glitchy and buggy it is I understand about a glitch demo but come one this is a fully released game and I cannot walk ten feet without a clipping error

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
my 2 main problems (I have others but I won't bore)....

1st, the bugs!
I mean seriously, how buggy is this game!?! 3 Year development cycle? More like 2 and a half years creating a "pet animal" interaction, 6 months completing the rest!

2nd, Connor!
He's so boring!
(Playing as his dad the...
Templar
is more interesting, at least he has that dry British wit!)

I knew I was going to miss Ezio, but not this much!

Captcha: on a boat.... no I actually enjoyed that alot!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Therumancer said:
Likewise your comments about firearms training and such make me wonder. Understand something, to shoot someone with a gun does not take years of bloody practice. To get "good" by military standards yes, but to use a gun accuratly for most situations? Nope. It doesn't take the police or NRA that long to certify people, and as I said before, miliias and gueriellas train people to be dangerous with them (to the enemy) pretty bloody quickly. If it took years, pretty much every gueriella movement in modern history would have failed.
I totally agree with you, the only firearms that take more than a couple days to shoot accurately are sniper rifles. I spent four days going from know not much about guns to a fully certified NRA Instructor/Range Safty Officer including accuracy tests with shotguns, rifles, and revovlvers for competition shooting.

As for AC3, I still have mixed feelings. AC1, I was on the roofs about 80-90% of the time. AC2 50-60% of the time, and in this, anytime I go up there in a city, there seems to be a damn redcoat right near my location, it sucks.

cyrax

Nov 15, 2012
I have to agree with nearly everything you said it just doesn't feel like the assassins creed i know. Combine that with all the bugs and glitches the new controls the non existent atmospheric music linear gameplay for the most part and as predicted climbing trees gets old really quick unfortunately the city's don't make up for this also Connor as the main character has little to no personality Hatham imo is a more likable character. If like me you have been with the series from day 1 don't expect to much from this game if on the other hand you are new to AC you will probably enjoy this game a lot more. I did enjoy the naval battles and the graphics look nice i also have to admit i wasn't overjoyed about the 18th century setting when i first heard but its no so bad but that's not enough to make it a win for me. I give this game a 5/10 which i think is a fair score considering the above.