I really want a new Obsidian made Fallout game

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
New Vegas is one of my favorite games of all time and yes I know its far from perfect(bugs, lack of interesting locations, walking around for minutes and barely finding anything) but my god do I love the game and it sucks that after all these years there isn't a new Obsidian Fallout game in sight. Whats crazy is that despite have less of budget/time than 3 or 4 it still craps on both of them.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
I just saw on Steam yesterday that Wasteland 2 Director?s Cut might be the next best thing. From the originals and they seemed to have captured the classic feel with slightly modernized features. I just wish it would drop price because $40 seems to steep even if it comes with the original Wasteland.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
PapaGreg096 said:
Whats crazy is that despite have less of budget/time than 3 or 4 it still craps on both of them.
Well that's easy when 90% of the in game assets and the near totality of the modifications to the game engine are done for them, over four fifths of the work in making a game was handed to them, so they could focus almost entirely on the last parts of production. People who known nothing about how games are made praise them for making an unplayable mess of a game at launch because of how long they had to work with, but the reality is that Obsidian are an ambitious bunch who have never in their history managed to deliver. They make great games, don't get me wrong, but even the GOTY Edition of New Vegas is missing large swaths of content they intended (because they always overestimate their abilities) and they always launch with a downright mess. New Vegas was hated at launch because you could not finish the game, it was that broken.

That all being said, give them 2 years, keep someone from Bethesda to make sure they keep things in scope for once, and it could work.

hanselthecaretaker said:
I just wish it would drop price because $40 seems to steep even if it comes with the original Wasteland.
It'll be fine, goes on something like 66-75% off each seasonal sale.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Zontar said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Whats crazy is that despite have less of budget/time than 3 or 4 it still craps on both of them.
Well that's easy when 90% of the in game assets and the near totality of the modifications to the game engine are done for them, over four fifths of the work in making a game was handed to them, so they could focus almost entirely on the last parts of production. People who known nothing about how games are made praise them for making an unplayable mess of a game at launch because of how long they had to work with, but the reality is that Obsidian are an ambitious bunch who have never in their history managed to deliver. They make great games, don't get me wrong, but even the GOTY Edition of New Vegas is missing large swaths of content they intended (because they always overestimate their abilities) and they always launch with a downright mess. New Vegas was hated at launch because you could not finish the game, it was that broken.
Basically this. I like New Vegas, but let's not act like it wasn't build on the foundations of Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

With that being said, being too ambitious is something of an epidemic in the game dev community. And there have been far more ambitious games that turned out much worse, so I wouldn't point to Obsidian as a major offender.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Personally I wish more dev did that, just reuse asset from other game while putting your own spin on it and tweak the mechanic somewhat. Would cut down on price of making games but I doubt it would really affect sales, so they could make more game.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I want a new Obsidian Star Wars game, plus I want them to get the time and budget to actually finish it.

Alas the universe is cruel.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Zontar said:
PapaGreg096 said:

That all being said, give them 2 years, keep someone from Bethesda to make sure they keep things in scope for once, and it could work.

hanselthecaretaker said:
I just wish it would drop price because $40 seems to steep even if it comes with the original Wasteland.
It'll be fine, goes on something like 66-75% off each seasonal sale.
They seem to be doing fine with the management for their kickstarter games though, so I'm not sure that you are correct when Pillars of Eternity & Tyranny are both fairly polished working games, maybe it does have to do with the whole publisher culture, because at least their first 2 independent ventures have gone all right, I mean neither was perfectly polished at launch but they were not messes like Fallout NV, Alpha Protocol & SW KOTOR II all of which had troubled productions which their crowdfunded games didn't, but simply due to that I'd say that claiming that they have never delivered is pure hyperbole, plus even if it was just a mediocre ARPG Dungeon Siege III wasn't glitchy either nor was South Park Stick of Truth which was also pretty good, so whatever deal they had with poor management seems to have improved, then again none of these games have shared the supposedly horrible deadlines of their previouus work but I'd say that by this point they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

As for the premise of the thread, it would be good to see given proper management, however Obsidian has found a new niche producing their own IP which aren't as popular but they own in full and so far seem pretty comfortable in there so I don't think it's something we'll see soon unless Pillars of Eternity 2 does poorly, however Chris Avellone one of the Lead writers on New Vegas & designer of Fallout 2 is now a freelancer so it'd be possible for them to get him for even a mainline Bethesda Fallout game & have him inject some of the old Black Isle magic into it, it probably wouldn't be the same as having Obsidian make it but it might be pretty good regardless.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
fix-the-spade said:
I want a new Obsidian Star Wars game, plus I want them to get the time and budget to actually finish it.

Alas the universe is cruel.
Hey I just went back & replayed some of KOTOR 1 & found it to be a pretty underwhelming experience, in fact I thought it was trash, now I remember thinking KOTOR 1 was OK but the one I loved was KOTOR II but I'm kinda afraid to go back to it and ruining my good memories of the story, so I want to ask you have you played it recently & does it hold up?

Oct 22, 2011
I wouldn't mind if Bethesda would focus on numbered parts of the series(and i wouldn't have to bother with them), while relegating "spin-offs" like New Vegas to outside studios. It wouldn't even have to be Obsidian, though i don't see other crew having similar grip on Fallout IP.
That being said, doubt it will happen. I haven't seen any signals from Zenimax, about making that kind of deal a possibility, and i don't think current Obsidian is that interested in going back to Fallout franchise. I think for now, they plan to focus on their own, crowdfunded IPs.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Obsidian made a damn fine, good, Fallout game. It had fun characters, strange new aspects of the Wasteland, rolling in exaggerated Americana, and it never went too far into human drama that it loses its light humour and satire.

And they did it with a skeleton crew, bullshit demands by Bethesda, and a limited schedule.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Even if they ever get a shot at FO again, 10 to 1 development will be troubled again thanks to Bethesda, and them being afraid it would overshadow the next TES game. NV only had 14 months to develop, and was forced to release before it was finished. A ton had to be cut but some of that ultimately was brought back in DLC.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
hanselthecaretaker said:
I just saw on Steam yesterday that Wasteland 2 Director?s Cut might be the next best thing. From the originals and they seemed to have captured the classic feel with slightly modernized features. I just wish it would drop price because $40 seems to steep even if it comes with the original Wasteland.
I'm playing it right now on a buddy's Steam sharing. Yeah if you are a die-hard Fallout 2 fan, I would definitely recommend when/if it goes on sale.

Really wish Bethesda would switch to a top-down style. Also maybe learn to create a memorable character once in a while.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
jademunky said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
I'm playing it right now on a buddy's Steam sharing. Yeah if you are a die-hard Fallout 2 fan, I would definitely recommend when/if it goes on sale.

Really wish Bethesda would switch to a top-down style. Also maybe learn to create a memorable character once in a while.
The last thing I'd call any of Wasteland 2 characters is memorable. You also have to explain to me how mutant animals is so much better than Bethsheda Fallout. At least they created a tribe that felt original while still following the "misunderstanding the past" thing (one-armers) which is the opposite of New Vegas. I still don't know how Obsidian made every single tribe the worst possible version of misunderstanding the past

Then you get to a point where your commander threats you to bring back a prisoner or there would be consequences. Were there consequences? Absolutely not. Aannddd... that's when Wasteland was deleted. If people going to claim a game is better than Fallout 3, it better be or its gone.

Poetic Nova said:
Even if they ever get a shot at FO again, 10 to 1 development will be troubled again thanks to Bethesda, and them being afraid it would overshadow the next TES game. NV only had 14 months to develop, and was forced to release before it was finished. A ton had to be cut but some of that ultimately was brought back in DLC.
I'd look to ESO too. It is NOT an Elder Scrolls game. I find it fun but its definitely different

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
trunkage said:
The last thing I'd call any of Wasteland 2 characters is memorable. You also have to explain to me how mutant animals is so much better than Bethsheda Fallout. At least they created a tribe that felt original while still following the "misunderstanding the past" thing (one-armers) which is the opposite of New Vegas. I still don't know how Obsidian made every single tribe the worst possible version of misunderstanding the past

Then you get to a point where your commander threats you to bring back a prisoner or there would be consequences. Were there consequences? Absolutely not. Aannddd... that's when Wasteland was deleted. If people going to claim a game is better than Fallout 3, it better be or its gone.
I've only got as far as clearing out the man-eating-plants in the AG center.

The memorable characters I was referring to were from Fallout 2. I phrased it poorly and yeah, definitely no Sulik or Marcus in Wasteland.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
trunkage said:
Pretty sure that Wasteland 2 is made by inXile, not Obsidian. While they both share lineage via Fallout and Planescape, inXile was founded by Brian Fargo, of Interplay, while Obsidian was founded by old Black Isle staff. inXile has none of the writing chops or cred that came with Obsidian and it shows in both Wasteland 2 (which is a tactical combat game first and foremost) and Torment (which could have really done with a more stringent and punitive editor for its writing).

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Gethsemani said:
trunkage said:
Pretty sure that Wasteland 2 is made by inXile, not Obsidian. While they both share lineage via Fallout and Planescape, inXile was founded by Brian Fargo, of Interplay, while Obsidian was founded by old Black Isle staff. inXile has none of the writing chops or cred that came with Obsidian and it shows in both Wasteland 2 (which is a tactical combat game first and foremost) and Torment (which could have really done with a more stringent and punitive editor for its writing).
Yeah, you're right. I think Alpha Protocol was their best written work. I wish they wrote that well in NV> Pillars of Eternity was better written than NV but it still needs more work. hopefully the sequel is better

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
trunkage said:
Yeah, you're right. I think Alpha Protocol was their best written work. I wish they wrote that well in NV> Pillars of Eternity was better written than NV but it still needs more work. hopefully the sequel is better
Sorry, but Pillars of Eternity's writing is a dumpster fire with terrible lore, and the cherry on the cake is its mechanics are one of the worst I've ever seen in an rpg. NV is clearly superior in terms of worldbuilding and communicating the lives within the Mojave.

Especially relevant when NV didn't have the time and resources.

Pillars of Eternity on the other hand has no excuse.

Give me one example ... just one example in Pillars that even comes close to a Caesar. Just one. Or a Vulpes for that matter. Or even a House. Pillars breaks the cardinal sin of show, don't tell... it also ignore's Vonnegut's law of be prepared to murder thy literary babies.

Here's some winners...

"The mighty(?) aumaua are the largest of the kith races and are commonly found in(?) or near oceans. Though not truly aquatic(?), they have an affinity for water(?) and many of their civilizations, such as Rauatai, are based on naval dominance(?). They are known for their unparalleled strength(?)."

Well there's 4 cardinal sins of prose in just as many seconds... Great writing! 10 out of 10. Who talks like this? Can you imagine someone actually giving you this description in person? Pretty justified in thinking if someone who said that verbatim was an idiot if I asked a very simple question of who the aumaua are.

A normal person would have said;

"The a(A)umaua are a seafaring collection of races, their populations clustered on the coastlines of the world. Gifted at naval transit and warfare, as well as with tremendous physical strength. Their tall, robust physiques and deep understanding of the waves allowing their nations to thrive on the open seas--amongst their civilizations, like the Rauatai, are the premier Maritime powers in existence."

Apparently Escapist forums don't like the em dash, the greatest of all punctuation marks.

Succinct, answers the question, describes them.

Need I go on? The game is *rife* with it.

I'm not even done with the character creation screen.

Aug 31, 2012
Kaleion said:
Chris Avellone one of the Lead writers on New Vegas & designer of Fallout 2 is now a freelancer so it'd be possible for them to get him for even a mainline Bethesda Fallout game & have him inject some of the old Black Isle magic into it, it probably wouldn't be the same as having Obsidian make it but it might be pretty good regardless.
That might actually work quite well. I didn't find the physical worldbuilding in New Vegas to be as goo as 3 or 4, as a place to explore it was pretty ununspiring I found, it was the characters and story the dragged you round. Bethesda are the opposite. Fallout 4 felt to me like Fallout 3.5, like they'd seen what Obsidian did with the characters, story etc and tried to put it into a similar environ as 3, but just didn't quite have the writing chops to make it work. Pretty sure "I'd like to see the next Fallout game have the story, characters etc handled by Obsidian and the Environment etc by Bethesda" has been a pretty common sentiment in discussions on Fallout.

Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Sorry, but Pillars of Eternity's writing is a dumpster fire with terrible lore, and the cherry on the cake is its mechanics are one of the worst I've ever seen in an rpg. NV is clearly superior in terms of worldbuilding and communicating the lives within the Mojave.

Especially relevant when NV didn't have the time and resources.

Pillars of Eternity on the other hand has no excuse.

Give me one example ... just one example in Pillars that even comes close to a Caesar. Just one. Or a Vulpes for that matter. Or even a House. Pillars breaks the cardinal sin of show, don't tell... it also ignore's Vonnegut's law of be prepared to murder thy literary babies.
Funnily enough, PoE was the first party based isometric RPG I ever got on with, really couldn't deal with any of the others and it was the mechanics I felt were much better. But I never finished it, my interest petered out at some point, I couldn't tell you how far in, because I just didn't give enough of a shit about what was going on. I couldn't really pinpopint why, I suppose general disinterest in the world and all the characters in my party. The only one I vaguely remember was that weird Rasputin looking/acting guy. Otherwise there was something about spirits and gods, I think.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Zykon TheLich said:
Funnily enough, PoE was the first party based isometric RPG I ever got on with, really couldn't deal with any of the others and it was the mechanics I felt were much better. But I never finished it, my interest petered out at some point, I couldn't tell you how far in, because I just didn't give enough of a shit about what was going on. I couldn't really pinpopint why, I suppose general disinterest in the world and all the characters in my party. The only one I vaguely remember was that weird Rasputin looking/acting guy. Otherwise there was something about spirits and gods, I think.
Ehhhh ... I can understand why people can't get onboard with the classic old school rpgs like the Jagged Alliance series (sans BiA). But good writing and lore? No.

Just no.

Like provably fucking wrong. And it's not even a matter of taste. Just no. Factually wrong from the character creation screen onwards.

Aug 31, 2012
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Ehhhh ... I can understand why people can't get onboard with the classic old school rpgs like the Jagged Alliance series (sans BiA). But good writing and lore? No.

Just no.

Like provably fucking wrong. And it's not even a matter of taste. Just no. Factually wrong from the character creation screen onwards.
I was agreeing with you on the PoE lore point.