"I Really Want To Play Iron Man," Says Jackie Chan

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Don't see it. Still, you could do a lot worse than Chan. At least with him it would likely just be a case of miscasting rather than lack of enthusiasm or talent.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I want to see a Marvel movie that's like Norbitt where Jackie Chan plays every character. It's a good idea.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Jackie as Iron man wouldn't really work.

But him in any other marvel movie that would work.

Come on comic book geeks, there's got to be, at least, ONE superhero / villain that jackie can play. Find it. More importantly, film it.

Only one catch to it all, if he ends up playing a villain, there goes to happy ever after ending, for the hero's that is.

Just because of this topic, i looked this up.

That's some painful stuff

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Sure.
I haven't really liked RDJ in any role I've seen him in so hell yeah let's bring in the Chan.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Soooo, Wong Feihung (name butchering, ahoy!) in power armor?

Fuck. I'm scared. I'm genuinely terrified for my life, right now.

Drunken boxing + Tony Stark's palm repulsor beams = HOLY SHIT, THE MURDERS. THE FUCKING MURDERS.

He'd punch your face in and reduce it to ashes and bloody char-broiled giblets in one go.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Why not? They made Nick Fury black. They made the Mandarin American. They made Heimdall black. They made the Kingpin black in Daredevil. None of those were particularly necessary, but they worked anyway/ Would it be so different to make Iron Man Chinese? Are we going to say all racial swaps in Marvel are fine, as long as you're not a brown-haired, white male lead?
I think this is more about his acting style than anything else. Also, it's one thing to change a characters race in the transition from comic to film, but a different story when you're having a role transfer from one actor to another within a single continuity. That said, we should at least give him a short film or something. That'd be sweet.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Not Iron Man... Iron FIST!!! That would be awesome... Team up with Power Man aka Luke Cage. That would be awesome... now who would be Luke Cage?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Terminate421 said:
Jackie, I love you, but you will never be able to beat Robert Downey Jr or even come close to it. Also I heard Tony Stark was white.

Though him wearing some sort of power armor and doing fighting in it would be awesome.
I heard The Mandarin was Chinese, Nick Fury was white and Heimdall was a Norse god. Yet going by the movies, the Mandarin is America, Nick Fury is black, and Heimdall is too.

If they can change character ethnicities there, is there really any reason they couldn't do the same for Tony Stark? It's OK to make a Chinese character American, but not the other way around?
It has alot to do with consistency in the cinematic universe.

Changing a character's nationality between movies, no matter how good a replacement for the actor, would harm the image of the character.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
If anyone has actually seen Chinese Zodiac they will know that movie was so miserably awful and so crammed full of effects, camera skips and stunt doubles...Jackie is no longer an action hero and the only person in denial of that is Jackie himself. The man must be blind to how much slower he's become over the years, you simply can't stay as agile as you were 20-30 years ago dammit.

Being an action hero was really Jackie's only identity, the man can only act good enough to get the job done. The only movies that came remotely close to showing his deeper/emotional side were Karate Kid and Shinjuku Incident (which received mixed reviews). And this is coming from one of the most obsessive Jackie Chan fans of all time, I've seen every single movie he possibly featured in and loved his charisma and action scenes. But action + stunts was the only string to Jackie's bow and he can no longer do the "action", so what does that leave him with? Acting really hasn't been one of his strong points.

In Shanghai Knights and New Police Story he still had a bit of zip in his moves but those were basically the last good action movies where he was enjoyable to watch. Every movie since then has either involved him staying away from action (e.g. Karate Kid) or being just plain awful (Medallion, Tuxedo, Spy Next Door, Forbidden Kingdom, etc).

As for Jackie Chan as Iron Man - HAHAHAHA, NOT A FUCKING CHANCE. He'll have better luck trying out for Green Lantern.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah... no. Sorry Jackie... but eh.. RDJ has nailed it as Tony Stark. I don't think you'd have a prayer of coming close to that performance.

Other characters? Fuck it.. if works, whatever. I don't know enough about any other superheroes to say yay or nay, but I'd prefer new faces to actors already in the buis... especially ones that have been in it as long as Chan has.

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
With the growing movie industry in China I think having Chan fight along side the Avengers would actually be good for US/China relations. The US population might not see it this way, but the Chinese might perceive it as a symbol of cohesion between our people.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Manthraxx said:
Jackie! YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!
I love you.

Jackie Chan is talented at Kung Fu but he is a hopeless actor. He can only play one role. Whether this is by ability or choice I am not sure. But I suspect it is the later. He is very conscious of making a 'good guy' image to CHINESE audiences. And has said on multiple occasions 'fuck the west/America'. He doesn't respect the source material at all and just thinks it is a good gig to make him relevant again.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
As long as it's a separate entity from the current marvel movies. This would be awesome to watch, but I'm still expecting more Robert Downey Jr. Ironman.