I saw all five Transformers movies over the last few days and I'd like to talk about the experience.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Dear Escapist friends,

I've decided to watch Michael Bay's Transformers movies because... well, for one because I have never seen them and was curious, but also because I always felt it's interesting to look at works usually dimissed as, you know, bad. Now, I knew for a fact that Bay's a pretty talented guy. Pain and Gain is one of my favourite movies of the past decade and proves quite conclusively that he's not by any means the immature overgrown fratboy detractors often make him out to be. Crass and vulgar as it was, Pain and Gain was in many ways a pretty introspective and socially aware movie. It didn't exactly paint a very favourable picture of the society it's aware of but I can't blame it for that. So I was very eager to see if the Transformers series deserved the reputation it had.

So, let me start this off saying that I have absolutely no experience with the Transformers franchise outside of these movies and I don't care to. I'm vaguely aware that there's a group of sentimental Gen Xers who maintain that the animated movie from the 80s still holds up but quite frankly, I don't give a dang, for what it's worth, the backstory of the actual robots was the least interesting thing about these movies. What I will say is that they were interesting.

Most modern franchise movies are a pretty homogenized affair. You watch any given Marvel movie and they have more or less the same style of writing and more or less the same look, same goes, to a lesser extent, for Star Wars and post-BvS DC. The actual directors feels quite incidental to them. The Transformers movies feel like Michael Bay movies through and through, there's absolutely no attempt made to dial back his style to please the studio. All of Bay's obsessions, the sports cars, the women in tight hot pants, the sunsets, the explosions and the vulgar humor, are right there. He's neither expected, nor willing to make any concessions to political correctness, accesibility or good taste. Every single one of these movies is unapologetically indulgent and I can't help but admire them for it. Bay creates some of the most colourful, elaborate, shamelessly sexual and visually pleasing images I have ever seen, all for the sake of a series of dumb movies about fighting toy robots.

Those movies technically have characters, both human and mechanical and they technically have stories, though it'd be hard for me to tell you more than the broad strokes of them. If pressed on it I'd even go as far as to say they have themes, first and foremost about the relationship between man and machine but all of that takes a backseat to Bay's baroque excesses.

The movies have become the go to example for disposable Hollywood trash, sound and fury, signifying nothing, but I don't think that quite does them justice. I don't think any one of them has a screenplay that's better than awful but one thing they're not is soulless. They are gorgeuosly shot and have some absolutely breathtaking imagery. We live in a world where someone like Joss Whedon can film superheroes as if they were office drones, without any sense of passion, wonder or excitement whatsoever. Almost each frame of Transformers is dripping with style. The iconic image of Megan Fox seductively opening up a car. Mark Wahlberg, playing an idealistic inventor, looking out at the sunset. The squeaky clean interior of a futuristic office building. The explosive fights between two groups of alien robots as buildings collapse around them. Bay lends a painterly sensibility to the most lowbrow of subject matters.

As poorly written as they are, there's a sense of mad genius to these movies. At their best they are a display of breathtaking futurism and boundless ambition, of blurring the line between realism and pop-art, at once stunningly beautiful and throughly disposable. Trash arranged as a work of art. The last movie, Last Knight in particular, almost experimental in it's editing. It's a movie where the aspect ratio can change with almost every single cut. No concern for visual coherency, only for what would look best in the moment, for one particular image. It's explosive climax easily among the most visually impressive sequences ever put to film, making Star Wars: Last Jedi and even Blade Runner 2049, both of which came out roughly around the same time, look quaint in comparison.

The Transformers movies are fascinating works, beautiful, vulgar, insane, sleazy, offensive and, in the end, utterly vapid. I don't regret seeing them, quite the opposite, I was entertained almost all the way through. There's a type of art in how utterly, uncompromisably indulgent they are. It's like watching a child play with his action figures which might make them a truer adaptation of the toys they are based on than any other ones. I'm not entirely sure if Bay is too good for this franchise but god knows he directed the shit out of those movies and if these screenplays had been adapted by anyone else, they never would have become the phenomenon they are. They are auteur trash. Science Fiction as imagined by Andy Warhol. A display of massive quantities of talent, money, time and labour used to create something utterly meaningless. 5 2,5 hour epics of pure mindless decadence.

Basically, what I'm saying is, I really liked them. 7.5/10

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I only saw the first two, and I wish I could fucking forget them.

Unfortunately China loves these piles of dog vommit, so they'll making 'm.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Casual Shinji said:
I only saw the first two, and I wish I could fucking forget them.

Unfortunately China loves these piles of dog vommit, so they'll making 'm.
And the irony is that even they hated the 5th movie, Last Knight. China is finally fucking learning. I quit after Age of Extinction. All I can say about all the films have seen are:

Transformers (2007) - Average, but hasn't aged well. The second least annoying out of all the films.

EDIT:

Revenge of the Fallen - FUCK. THIS. MOVIE. TWO HOURS AND 45 MINUTES OF MY LIFE I AM NEVER GETTING BACK. How Angry Joe gave this a high rating, I'll never know, but that proves he don't know shit.

Dark of the Moon - Barely better than the first two.

Age of Extinction - Fun for the first hour or so. After that, it's more of the same, but tolerable.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'd think transformers would be better if they got rid of all human in the story. Shoehorning the army etc into the battles doesn't make sense as they don't do much. A lot of pointless cuts to pointless people.

I'm also always going to go for a CGI Hulk than Optimus.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
As a Transformers fan, these films are pretty insulting and bad.

Also really not a fan of Pain and Gain either tbh.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Eh, i remember feeling insulted by one of those Movies, haven't watched any of those after... Was something wiht a robot having wrecking balls... as "balls", some guy whipering into a radio: "We are under the enemies scrotum" and then the military shot a ship-mounted railgun in the sea and hit it at the pyramids.... sigh.

Also all the people, especially the woman are oily... everything was orange and washed out. Shia Labeouf is there... seriously, no idea anymore... Pretty much all i remember was being disgusted by how non-fun giant fighting robots can be.

Ah, also: I did a similar experiment a few weeks back: in 2 days i watched ALL Fast & Furious movies. I should write about that too sometimes. But overall: Movies got stupider, but more fun (And changed from thriller to heist to action) until the last one... which was just terrible.

I AM A F.B.I. AGENT... wait a second, is the first one very similar to Point Break? Need to watch Point Break again.

EDIT: Oh, i liked Pain & Gain, i took that as evidence that Bay can still do good movies IF he wants to. The "Grilling the Hand - Scene" was funny, Wahlberg played stupid and weirdly likeable and you can never not like the Rock.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, having only seen Revenge and Age...

CoCage said:
Revenge of the Fallen - FUCK. THIS. MOVIE. TWO HOURS AND 45 MINUTES OF MY LIFE I AM NEVER GETTING BACK.
Pretty much this, and-

How Angry Hoe gave this a high rating, I'll never know, but that proves he don't know shit.
Right, so because someone disagrees with you, they "don't know shit."

Okay then...

Age of Extinction - Fun for the first hour or so. After that, it's more of the same, but tolerable.
"Fun for the first hour" is a bit too generous.

AoE isn't as bad as Revenge (few, if any movies are), but while it kinda occupies guilty pleasure territory for me, that's with a lot of guilt, and not a lot of pleasure. It's...it's bad, okay? Long, tedious, tired, and tepid.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:

CoCage said:
Revenge of the Fallen - FUCK. THIS. MOVIE. TWO HOURS AND 45 MINUTES OF MY LIFE I AM NEVER GETTING BACK.
Pretty much this, and-

How Angry Hoe gave this a high rating, I'll never know, but that proves he don't know shit.

Okay then...
EDIT:

The fucker went out of his way to insult people who didn't enjoy the movie, so fuck Angry Joe. Calling them pussies or people who don't know how to have fun was the worst response to criticism I've ever seen. I know how to have fun, I just like movies that doesn't treats it's audience like thundering dumbasses. It's no different from the people on Channel Awesome, who insulted general moviegoers for liking the film. This where my dislike for certain contributors from the site began, but I'm not going into that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Summerstorm said:
Eh, i remember feeling insulted by one of those Movies, haven't watched any of those after... Was something wiht a robot having wrecking balls... as "balls", some guy whipering into a radio: "We are under the enemies scrotum" and then the military shot a ship-mounted railgun in the sea and hit it at the pyramids.... sigh.

Also all the people, especially the woman are oily... everything was orange and washed out. Shia Labeouf is there... seriously, no idea anymore... Pretty much all i remember was being disgusted by how non-fun giant fighting robots can be.

Ah, also: I did a similar experiment a few weeks back: in 2 days i watched ALL Fast & Furious movies. I should write about that too sometimes. But overall: Movies got stupider, but more fun (And changed from thriller to heist to action) until the last one... which was just terrible.

I AM A F.B.I. AGENT... wait a second, is the first one very similar to Point Break? Need to watch Point Break again.

EDIT: Oh, i liked Pain & Gain, i took that as evidence that Bay can still do good movies IF he wants to. The "Grilling the Hand - Scene" was funny, Wahlberg played stupid and weirdly likeable and you can never not like the Rock.
Fate of the Furious is what I like to call fanfiction in live-action form. It's the reason why I refused to see it. The F&F franchise is running out of steam. Why make another one? Paul Walker gone, and anything done afterward is gonna be seen as a step backwards regardless of quality. No offense to the other actors, though fuck Tyrese (egotistical little shit), but there is just something missing from the 8th film. I wish the best of luck to them, but hopefully they can find something beyond the F&F movies.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Yeah, Revenge is molten garbage. The forest action scene was nice, but that doesn't make the whole thing much better.

The third one showcases the most Bay-style misanthropy in his movies (that I've seen).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CoCage said:
The fucker went out of his way to insult people who didn't enjoy the movie, so fuck Angry Joe. Calling them pussies or people who don't know how to have fun was the worst response to criticism I've ever seen. I know how to have fun, I just like movies that treats it's audience like thundering dumbasses. It's no different from the people on Channel Awesome, who insulted general moviegoers for liking the film. This where my dislike for certain contributors from the site began, but I'm not going into that.
Okay, fair enough, didn't know about that.

McElroy said:
Yeah, Revenge is molten garbage. The forest action scene was nice,
Actually agree there.

The third one showcases the most Bay-style misanthropy in his movies (that I've seen).
Haven't seen the third, but of what I've seen of Bay's filmography, I'd never pinned him as having misanthropy. I mean, look at Armageddon - it's drenched in melodrama, because of course down on their luck guys are gonna save the day, and daddy is going to say goodbye for his daughter, and yadda yadda yadda. On Transformers - there's quite a lot of "America, fuck yeah!" moments, at least if one equates the no. of US flags with the prevalance of the military. And while I dislike the film a lot, Pearl Harbour at least tries to be a humane story about the cost of war and decent people sufffering it, and actually succeeds at times.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
CoCage said:
Hawki said:

CoCage said:
Pretty much this, and-

Okay then...
The fucker went out of his way to insult people who didn't enjoy the movie, so fuck Angry Joe. Calling them pussies or people who don't know how to have fun was the worst response to criticism I've ever seen. I know how to have fun, I just like movies that treats it's audience like thundering dumbasses. It's no different from the people on Channel Awesome, who insulted general moviegoers for liking the film. This where my dislike for certain contributors from the site began, but I'm not going into that.
At this point I can't help but remember MovieBob's reviews of Transformers 2 and 3 where he openly stated that people who enjoy these movies shouldn't be allowed to vote or drive a car. He mellowed out a bit for his reviews of Age of Extinction and Last Knight but my god, was he spewing venom when talking about the first three. It's one of the reasons why I decided to watch them, actually, they got a lot of very emotional reactions out of people for various reasons.

For what it's worth, I probably like Revenge of the Fallen more than the first one. But I think I'm watching those for different reasons than most other people.

Hawki said:
CoCage said:
Okay, fair enough, didn't know about that.

McElroy said:
Yeah, Revenge is molten garbage. The forest action scene was nice,
Actually agree there.

Haven't seen the third, but of what I've seen of Bay's filmography, I'd never pinned him as having misanthropy.
Okay, let's dig into the themes of the Transformers series. Almost managed to write this with a straight face.

So, the portrayal of Sam Witwicky's (Shia LeBeaouf) parent as unpleasant, unintelligent, middle aged american suburbanites was so unsympathetic that I can't see it coming from a place other than genuine hatred for that kind of person. There's also an overlying sense of anti authoritarianism going through these movies. There's this one Decepticon, Blockade or Barricade or something, who turns into a police car that has the words "to punish and enslave" written on its side. I actually looked it up and that design decision wasn't there in any other versions of the characters so make of that what you will. What probably does carry over from the cartoons and action figures and stuff is that almost all the Decepticons turn into vehicles usually associated with authority. Police cars, fighter jets, tanks and so on, though I'm pretty sure that is from the actual toys.

Hell, the first movie had a scene of a sleazy government spook, who would get his own little redemption arc throughout the two subsequent movies, getting pissed on, stripped to his underwear and handcuffed to a lamp post. Doesn't stop there. The government, the american government specifically, is portrayed, at best, as an uneasy ally throughout all five movies. In the third one it's trying to deport the Autobots forcefully, in the fourth one and fifth one it's actively hunting them down. What the movies do portray positively, for the most part, is the army but at points the army is shown explicitly at odds with with the government and some of its agencies.

The third one and fourth one specifically satirize Big Business as well, the third one hat a sleazy billionaire, Witwicky's employer, actively collaborating with the Decepticons, the fourth one had a Steve Jobs caricature experimenting on Autobots (though he got his redemption as well) while it had Mark Wahlberg as a struggling inventor as arguably the most genuinely virtuous human character in the entire series.

If I had to make a conclusive statement on where these movies stand in terms of political outlook I'd say it's a very idealistic libertarianism, sympathetic to the common people trying to do good for its own sake. Of course I don't have to make this sort of statement because it's fucking Transformers and every analysis beyond if one is entertained by them or not is probably nothing worth paying attention to but it does make for a fun little exercise. I strongly believe that there is no such thing as a movie that's saying nothing, and if only by accident.

Brings us back to the original point: Do these movies present a misanthropic outlook? Don't think so, not overall. Neither does Pain and Gain, though it's cynical as hell. While its main characters and a lot of the people they interact with are absolutely vile people, it doesn't argue that they are this way by nature but by being part of a society that rewards those who are selfish, ignorant and ruthless.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Speaking as one of those sentimental Gen Xers, I do think the 1986 movie still holds up, but then, I'll be the first to admit I couldn't possibly be objective about it. Way too much history between me and it.

As far as Bayformers go... there were a few moments when I was watching the first in the theater in which it struck me as an incredibly subversive take on the whole franchise, the whole orgy of destruction resulting of giant metal aliens duking it out in the middle of cities seeming to say "look at how silly this whole thing is; humanity would be very quickly wiped out if anything of the sort was to actually happen, regardless of one of the sides involved being ostensibly interested in protecting it".

That movie was, I think it goes without saying, my first exposure to Michael Bay, and it quickly disabused me of the notion of there being any depth of that kind to it.

RotF I only bothered with because I was on a 12-hour flight, and it solidified my decision to only bother with TF movies again when the inevitable reboot is announced and someone else is at the helm.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
I can't really say much negative about the audio visual part of the movie - it's gorgeous and it sounds good. Bay is a pro at that.
The acting is a bit over the top and a few actors were miscast (Shia in particular).
The humor is hit and miss but I've laughed more while watching Revenge of the Fallen than while watching most modern comedies.

My main problem is that the human characters from the first movie were in the sequels.
All of them were just stereotypes - the loser in love with the popular hot girl, the tech nerds who figure out what the government couldn't, the soldier on his last mission missing his family, the "hip" parents etc. All of them were one dimensional but they worked for a 2 hour summer popcorn movie.
However, their arcs were finished at the end of the first movie and, instead of keeping the Transformers but changing the humans in every installment, they kept the humans for the entire trilogy and made the audience hate them.
Also, the Transformers were a bit underdeveloped in terms of character. Only Optimus and Bumblebee had any kind of character development.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
trunkage said:
I'd think transformers would be better if they got rid of all human in the story. Shoehorning the army etc into the battles doesn't make sense as they don't do much. A lot of pointless cuts to pointless people.

As far as human characters go, the military makes sense given we're talking about an alien invasion. It's the likes of Sam and Cade that don't make sense and come across as shoe-horned in.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Agent_Z said:
trunkage said:

As far as human characters go, the military makes sense given we're talking about an alien invasion. It's the likes of Sam and Cade that don't make sense and come across as shoe-horned in.
I didn't mind them. Seeing what's happening from their perspective gives the action a sense of scale and scope it wouldn't have had if we only saw it from the perspective of the actual Transformers. Plus, again, these movies do have that subtext about the relationship between man and machine somewhere in there.

sniddy_v1legacy

Jul 10, 2010
The movies have become the go to example for disposable Hollywood trash, sound and fury, signifying nothing, but I don't think that quite does them justice. I don't think any one of them has a screenplay that's better than awful but one thing they're not is soulless. They are gorgeuosly shot and have some absolutely breathtaking imagery.

This sums it up - I don't need every movie to make me think to be a better person to have a ' message '- I wanna see stuff get blown up, Mr Bay delivers

I enjoy them the same way I'll enjoy a cheap nasty take away pizza - It's not the best, but darn is it satisfying