I saw my best friend naked

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
We live together and we're girls, nothing weird going on or anything. We have a sibling-like relationship. But the other day I had just arrived from work and I called out for her and she said In here. So I went into her room and she was there just checking her phone but naked. She panicked and covered herself and I just saw her for a split second but I said I had seen almost nothing (it's true but the image is there in my brain!!).

My friend is always naked in her room and when she sleeps. I know this and I usually am very loud when I'm going into her room so that she knows I'm there just in case. I also knock if she's silent in her room. But this time she just said In here so I assumed it was ok for me to go in!

We were "fine" a couple of minutes later; I guess we're just pretending everything is fine. We've joked about it a few times (stuff like Don't make that a habit or didn't know you were a peeping Tom) but I still feel awkward and I can't get the image out of my head! I feel embarrassed and upset that I saw her naked because if the tables were turned, I'd be horribly embarrassed and would feel vulnerable or something .

What should I do to get over it? I know with time we'll come to ignore the incident but I wanna solve it, not ignore it. I feel like it's just me who feels awkward and I don't know if talking about it is the best because she seems absolutely fine about it (she's a bit of a tomboy so I don't know if this has happened to her before with someone else besides her boyfriend...?)

Has anyone gone through something like this?

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
For next time: Instead of just going in , ask if it's okay to come in.

There's no need to solve a situation if a small change in habits will prevent future incident. Besides, she's fine with it. If you need to get over with it, just do something to keep your brain occupied. Thinking patterns tend to break down when you do that.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Don't make it a habit. Laugh it off, and continue as if you're a grown up with a job and a place to live? Because, honestly, it was bound to happen eventually. Hell, I'm surprised it wasn't the "ran out of toilet paper" reason. Two people in an enclosed space leave a lot of room for this stuff to happen, and you just have to roll with it.

But this is from someone who is both married and draws life models naked regularly so I suppose I don't have the idea on why it's embarrassing.

You're fine, if you don't bring it up, it'll reset to normal in a few days...

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I haven't seen my best friend naked, but he's seen me. Back in 2013 we went to Melbourne to see some bands play, and needless to say, we were drunk as fuck by the end of it. Well we stumble into the hotel room to pack it in and here's me, too intoxicated to give any amounts of fuck, just stripping down to my bare arse as I climb into bed, right in front of the poor dude.

Meh, it was pretty funny. I'd say don't get bothered by it. It's just flesh, at the end of the day, and nothing we haven't all seen before. Just laugh at it and move on. It truly is no big deal and nothing to warrant negative emotions.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
It's only as embarrassing as you yourself make it. It's just the human body, and it's not like she's a complete stranger either. So I don't really see a problem. Besides, you two live together. It was bound to happen eventually.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Beautiful End said:
What should I do to get over it?
It's very difficult to say without having been in your situation. If you were to arrange for ME to see your best friend naked I'd be better able to advise you.

Seriously though, so you saw her naked. It's not a big deal, so don't make it a big deal. If she's not bothered by it, do your best to shake/laugh it off. You'll only make it weird if you become Very Concerned About The Incident.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Really?

That's a big deal?

I've seen many of my friends naked, especially when I was still in school due with sports change rooms. I've walked in on friends, housemates and family members more times than I care to count.

I just said, "Whoops, sorry", walked back out, and that's all there was to it.

I realise the naked human body is generally a private thing, but at the end of the day it really is just a body.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I've seen, like, all my (male) friends naked. A few female ones too, actually. It's not a big deal unless you make it one.

It's to be expected when you live with someone. You want a real horror story? Talk to all my friends who didn't know their sex crazed roommates had their significant other(s) over for the night. That's a real invasion of privacy.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
It's actually not as big a deal as you would think. I'm not sure where this shame of the human body comes from. If anything, the shock of the invasion of privacy is probably worse than the nudity itself.

I think it can almost be bonding and not weird at all to be comfortable with ones body with close friends. I've seen/been seen nude by several friends. Haven't you ever gone skinny-dipping? Haha.

I would just laugh it off and shrug it off. You'll forget about it by the end of the month.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Your username is perfect for this topic. Maybe you should think about it.

All joking aside, don't be ashamed or worried. If you don't focus on it it'll be forgotten, not because you're ignoring it but because it slips from your mind.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Fox12 said:
I've seen, like, all my (male) friends naked. A few female ones too, actually. It's not a big deal unless you make it one.

It's to be expected when you live with someone. You want a real horror story? Talk to all my friends who didn't know their sex crazed roommates had their significant other(s) over for the night. That's a real invasion of privacy.
Heh, had something like that happen in college. One of my roommates brought his boyfriend over to spend the night after he thought I was asleep...and this being a college dorm, we didn't exactly have separate bedrooms. After about half a minute of them giggling in the other bed I had to ask if they wanted me to leave so they could have some privacy (wouldn't have been the first time I'd been asked to leave, but it would have been the first time I wasn't forewarned)...I swear, the stunned silence was palpable.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Man, I lived with a Spanish roommate for about a year . A male one, mind you. He would walk from his room to the fridge for a drink naked and despite mine and my other roommate's complaints he didn't give a shit if he was just gonna be visible for a few minutes at most. And to be fair, me and my other roommate didn't give much of a shit, we'd have just preferred not to have had to seen a short, stout, hairy man naked every other day.

Just forget about it. People get naked sometimes. Sometimes you see naked people. Deal with it. Unless you're American. In which case I sincerely apologize for your very high likeliness to be triggered by female nudity/sexuality.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
About a year ago a friend asked to backup her photos to my spare computer so I agreed and she did it herself. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I was doing data recovery for another friend. I saw a folder on that computer with the first friend's name on it so since I'd forgotten what it was there for I opened it. It was her and her girlfriend naked. I was so ashamed I'd opened that folder and I told my friend about it. She understood thankfully and wasn't mad. I did though make a note not to open that folder ever again.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
One of my friends saw me naked. We were sharing a hotel room, he was in the bathroom brushing his teeth and I was changing, and it just happened that he walked out to ask me a question at an inopportune moment. He yelled "DUDE!" I told him to go fuck himself, and then we laughed and made jokes about my pasty white ass blinding him. Haven't brought it up since, wasn't a big deal to either of us.

I also saw my best friend's wife (then girlfriend) naked. We were all in high school and I was helping her move to a new apartment (I have the biggest car out of all my friends so I frequently help people move). I accidentally walked in on her while she was changing. I turned around, apologized, and it wasn't a big deal.

It's ok to feel uncomfortable about seeing someone naked, but it really isn't a big deal. Being naked is a natural state and if someone see you accidentally or someone sees you the adult thing is to shrug it off and get over it.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
You've never been to the gym or a public indoor swimming pool/bathhouse together?
I thought people didn't much care about being naked with their own gender..

I don't have any stories of my own sadly. Unless you count why I don't as a story..Hmm.
I underwent surgery for ..a sort of Hernia I think?..(down there..) when I was little, about 4,5,6..
Ever since then I've never shown myself nude to anyone..Ever.
It took some doing but you can avoid nakedness by changing for school gym in the john.
Oh, it also doesn't hurt if you can shrug of being called bad words for not showering after the session.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Beautiful End said:
she seems absolutely fine about it
If this is the case, then you're torturing yourself for no reason.

It's really not a big deal. Just put it out of your head and don't worry about it.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't really understand why you're freaking out.

I've seen most of my girl-friends in the buff and vice-versa, mostly when getting ready for nights out and things. Nudity isn't something that particularly bothers me. I'm not really sure why you'd feel so uncomfortable about accidentally stumbling upon your friend naked if there was nothing sexual about the incident, she feels fine about it and you have a sibling-like relationship.

I'm not trying to belittle how you feel, I just don't personally understand why you'd react so strongly to seeing someone naked.

I don't know, maybe the best thing to do would be to talk to her about it. Explain how you feel and I'm sure she'll reassure you.