I think Fallout 3 will stay my favorite over 4: Immersion and protagonists.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Fallout 3, to me, has the most creative and clever way it portrays and sets up the protagonist and his world that I've ever seen, and it doesn't look like Fallout 4 will so much as try to hit that sweet spot again. I've never seen my perspective on Fo3 written by anyone else, so here goes:

In Fallout 3, you're with your character from literal birth, and then dictate the course of several important events from their growing up, events and situations that determine the kind of person they'll become.
No other RPG has this. Every other RPG shoves you into the head of their protagonist, and you sort of take over from their own consciousness. It's never felt to me like you are that person; you merely become their pilot and wheel 'em around the game world.

This is why Fallout 3 has been and probably always will be my favorite game ever.

But, beyond the excellent character creation, the immersion continues.
In the Capital Wasteland, the Wanderer is an important piece on the board simply via birth and association with James and his colleagues, not some prophecy, McGuffin, or - like in NV - everyone else being completely stagnant.
You don't break into Raven Rock with the intention of destroying it like some super-spy, you get kidnapped due to your association, after being sent to Vault 87 for being the most qualified person to delve into a totally unknown Vault.
It's all put together so well to make you important without making you Jesus, something New Vegas failed, and Skyrim didn't even try.

The way I saw it, in Fo3, the Purifier was the Lone Wanderer's father's life's work, which he fought and sacrificed much for, which was inherited by the player when he died, and moreso when Dr Li bitchfit and ragequit.
The work to get the purifier running, and in the right hands, was divided amongst a significant number of people, not just the Wanderer. The Wanderer wasn't the only one who could ultimately save the Purifier; you still needed the Brotherhood and Liberty Prime for that.
What was the one thing the Wanderer did by themselves? Field research for a fucking survival handbook. I love that about Fallout 3, that you're not the greatest hero in the world, you're just some person thrust into a conflict that you inherited, and are given motivation to see through to the end.

New Vegas?
"all teh doods want the desert, what we do? :V"
"This, this, this, and this."
"GEEZ WE NEVAR'D TOHUGHT OF THAT :O"

The whole west coast of the US in a political stalemate between a legionnaire army, fully-fledged democratic government and a demi-god who runs Las Vegas, and some dingus carrying packages is the only one capable of poking the snowball and getting it rolling... ?
It's implied there are hundreds of thousands of people who should be concerned by these events, but you are the only one who can make history. I've never accepted that. From Mass Effect to Skyrim, it bugs the shit out of me. That's not good writing; it's lazily imprinting a Jesus complex onto the player.

That's not even the worst part of what New Vegas did wrong, and Fo3 did right: when you're let loose into the Mojave, you're set upon a set of tracks - blocked by Cazadors on one side and a scorpion-infested desert on the other - that takes you a specific path to New Vegas - the long way around, during which you make no real choices, and doesn't actually set you free until you get to New Vegas.
Fallout 3 sets you free straight out of the Vault. There's the city on the horizon, a burned-out town to your left, and a road stretching up the hill to your right. You don't even see Megaton, your first objective, until a sign in Springvale suggests something interesting over there. Fo3 throws you into the world and says "Go play.". Oblivion does the same; Skyrim meets in the middle.

So it's my hope that Fallout 4 follows the same style of immersion, plot flow and stakes that made Fallout 3 so fucking good, but seeing the character creator being a middle-aged person with an established background has already been a real let-down for me, and the voice really isn't helping bridge the immersion gap. I didn't like it in ME or Witcher; I'm not going to like it here, especially if the conversations are also cutscenes.

Why not make the Fo4's protagonist the baby, growing up in the Pre-War world Fo3-style, then going into cryo-stasis in Vault 111 at age 18 or so?

I simply don't appreciate my character's story written for me.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Yes, because we all, at birth, took a look at a machine and told it, "This is how I want to look." And by some form of magic (since that machine certainly isn't in control of our genetics), we look just like that. Oh, and we also read a little book when we are young that determines what our strengths and weaknesses are going to be,. Also, everyone in their teens takes a test that magically causes some stats to go up based on our personality, except we can also rig that test (because the teacher feels sorry for us) and determine just which stats magically increase. Oh, and I also totally chose to be friends with Amata. The game never decided that part of the story for me!

And as for those conversations: I totally spend all of my conversations with text in front of my eyes. I then click on text, and all of my words are magically ingrained into the other person's mind in a split second without me saying a word. They don't question the text or how words got telepathically forced into their brains. They don't even take time to form an answer. They automatically respond in a reasonable way without so much as a flinch. Totally how things work! What is this "I have a voice that I didn't choose for myself" nonsense!

OK, snark aside, I love Fallout 3. I'm not trying to claim that it is bad, but I'm hardly convinced that it captured some magic formula of immersion that no other game has managed to achieve. Like so many other great RPGs (including those mixed, sometimes heavily, with other genres), it took time crafting a wonderful world inhabited by memorable characters and stories, some of which came from player interaction. But at its core, the player was still basically an outside entity that took over for The Lone Wanderer at certain points of his or her life. The Lone Wanderer was still a messianic figure that needed little-to-no help and had a contrived reason for why he or she was the only one to "save the world". If anything, I found Mass Effect and The Witcher (at least the first two, still haven't played the third) to do a better job at making their protagonists feel like a small yet still significant piece to the world than Fallout 3 did.

But in the end, Fallout 4 will be good or bad based on whether or not it can still create an interesting world, offer a serviceable story (since Bethesda hasn't been that great at telling stories since at least Oblivion), some memorable characters, and the usual Bethesda freedom to go out and make your own story (which is where, for me, New Vegas really fell apart). After that, whether or not Fallout 4 will be better than Fallout 3 is something each person will have to decide, but only after playing the game. Seriously, there's no point in making up our minds when we haven't even seen 1% of the game and have played even less.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
The only negative I can think of so far for immersion is the fact that Bethesda seems to be making the mistake Bioware did of putting three or four words for a dialogue option that's a good two sentences instead of putting the damn dialogue in so I know what I'm about to say/do. Other then that I have a feeling the game will manage to improve on things from Fallout 3.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
No game has done that? I remember plenty of games back in the day doing that, it was pretty standard fare. Not that I remember those games, but the "Choose your decisions through life to pick which stats you have" is pretty common.
Hell, Mount and Blade Warband did it: You tell the story of where you come from, what you did there growing up, what caused you to leave there, and what your goal is now, and you get stats for it. Its more of a fixed-story RPG that doesn't let you do that.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Oof? Really? Fallout 3 had its moments, but if I'm being "objective" it really wasn't a very good game. Absolutely shit-tier storytelling, horrendous player models, scads of shoddily textured copy/paste environments that turned exploring into busywork, one of the worst endings in the modern history of gaming and generally garbage gun-play that required mods to be functional.

I guess if the ONLY things you require to enjoy a game are a voiceless protagonist and a slightly off-kilter (but still very much intact) heroes journey, then FO3 might be hard to topple.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Zontar said:
The only negative I can think of so far for immersion is the fact that Bethesda seems to be making the mistake Bioware did of putting three or four words for a dialogue option that's a good two sentences instead of putting the damn dialogue in so I know what I'm about to say/do. Other then that I have a feeling the game will manage to improve on things from Fallout 3.
That'd be a deal-breaker for me. I won't even get Fo4 if that's the dialogue system.

Aug 31, 2012
Bit early to call it eh?

I will agree on the point that if there was a set protaginist it'd put me off, probably to the point that I wouldn't play it but I doubt that'll happen. Voice acting and "chosen one" story bullshit would also be a negative for me because suddenly that makes it someone else's voice and someone else's story.

That said I think the way Bioware or whoever it was that made NV did a pretty good job with the story, it didn't feel too forced or ham handed, it was semi believable that my awesome sneaky sniper might be recruited as some sort of mercenary in the political shenanigans. Skyrim OTOH put me right off with the dragonborn crap. Chosen one bullshit at its worst. Given that that was Bethesda, it doesn't fill me with much hope for a good story in 4.

I dunno really, I can't quite decide between 3 and NV, 3's environment was so much better, the initial play through was favourite game ever, but after you've explored the carcass of civilisation you realise it's just that, a dead world with a couple of tiny pockets of survivors. But then I suppose that's what it was meant to be, probably wouldn't have been as effective if it had been as populated as NV.
NV environs were boring as shit, "oh look, more desert", but it felt like it was alive with actual people.

Anyway, I've gone off on a slight tangent of 3 vs NV. Yeah, don't want a set protagonist, no chosen one bullshit, no voice acted PC. But it's way too early to tell what's going to happen, the set protagonist seems kind of unlikely, it's not something they've done before and voice acting should be mutable I'd hope. The dialogue thing that Zontar mentioned sounds kinda worrying though.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
If anything the fact that the character has a voice only makes me more excited cuz that means number 4 might have a stronger story. I've always hated silent protagonists.

I will admit that I never actually "role played" any game and have never felt this "immersion" where I feel like a AM the Lone Wanderer, or the Courier, or the Dragonborn, or the Champion of Cyrodiil.

The closest I ever got was in Saint's Row. My friend had watched me play some of #1 and later when playing as a girl saw me playing #2 and asked why I was doing so when it was supposed to be the same person as in #1.

I jokingly responded that he'd gotten a sex change to hide from the cops.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
darkcalling said:
If anything the fact that the character has a voice only makes me more excited cuz that means number 4 might have a stronger story.
I hate to burst your bubble, but voice-acting generally means the exact opposite of that in modern games. Voice acting is costly, and thus it greatly limits the amount of dialog developers can work with. Less dialog -> Less story -> Less effective narrative.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So, is this thread about how much you think you will prefer Fallout 3 to Fallout 4, or how much you hate New Vegas?

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
BloatedGuppy said:
Oof? Really? Fallout 3 had its moments, but if I'm being "objective" it really wasn't a very good game.
Good and bad fall under the catergory of subjective, actually.

OT: I enjoyed both Fallout 3 and New Vegas, though I like New Vegas more. I think each game does certain things better than the other, so it's usually a matter of personal preference.

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
Much as I loved Fallout 3, and I did, gotta disagree strongly with your assessment of the opening.

The whole section with growing up in Vault 101 was completely bungled. There was no immersion there. The game never took your character or choices into account at all. Attempting to play a social-focused character was the worst during that sequence. It never cared if you were the most intelligent, charismatic mo'fo to ever wear a blue jump suit; nearly everyone in the Vault still irrationally hated you. You couldn't make friends with anyone growing up, because the game decided for you who your friends were going to be. You couldn't talk your way past the guards during the escape, because they were going to murder on sight despite supposedly knowing you your whole life.

And to be perfectly honest, I have trouble picturing it playing out that way if Obsidian had been in charge of the writing. Something akin to the FO3 opening in their hands would have been rife with roleplaying choices and impact. With Bethesda, the whole sequence was on rails and your only choice was if you were going to murder everyone in your way or try to sneak/rush past, neither of which had any real effect on events later on.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Fallout 3 has so much flaws I can barely consider it good. It has almost nothing to do with Fallout lore, it dumps the whole 'civilizational storytelling' concept started by Fallout 1-2 (and, thankfully, continued in FNV), it has mainquest that goes beyond stupid... And it kills SPECIAL.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Charcharo said:
Fallout cant hold a candle (and never will) to Metro and STALKER in terms of immersion.
While I'm the guy who says that every game get worse after being compared to Metro 2033: You really need to explain why STALKER is so much more immersive.

BTW: Can you ask if I have played STALKER yet? Than at least one of my wishes for Fallout 4 will be fulfilled.
Explanation here!

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Sansha said:
New Vegas?
*Cough*Fallout 3's Ending pre-DLC to fix that shit*Cough*
*COUGH*Having a partner immune to radiation and being called a dick for not going into a radiation infested room*COUGH*

Yes please continue to tell me about this master piece of a story.
:^)

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
VincentX3 said:
Sansha said:
New Vegas?
*COUGH*Having a partner immune to radiation and being called a dick for not going into a radiation infested room*COUGH*
Not only that, but even when I was forced to go into that room, I had so much rad resistance and anti-rad pills and stuff, that I could have stayed there for hours. Well, in-game, that is. So I went in, pushed the button (or whatever I had to do), tried to leave but the fucking dicks didn't let me out side. Just stayed there looking through the glass as I was chuggin' anti-rad for a good few minutes (out of game) and giving them the most vicious death stare ever. I COULD HAVE FUCKING LIVED. But, no - they couldn't fucking open the door. They killed me. All of them. They just went "Yeah, screw that guy - we'll just close him in the chamber and then claim it was an accident".

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
DoPo said:
VincentX3 said:
Sansha said:
New Vegas?
Not only that, but even when I was forced to go into that room, I had so much rad resistance and anti-rad pills and stuff, that I could have stayed there for hours. Well, in-game, that is. So I went in, pushed the button (or whatever I had to do), tried to leave but the fucking dicks didn't let me out side. Just stayed there looking through the glass as I was chuggin' anti-rad for a good few minutes (out of game) and giving them the most vicious death stare ever. I COULD HAVE FUCKING LIVED. But, no - they couldn't fucking open the door. They killed me. All of them. They just went "Yeah, screw that guy - we'll just close him in the chamber and then claim it was an accident".
And that's only what I would call extremely bad writing.
Then there's the whole other category of lore inconsistencies.

For example, if you decided to nuke Megaton, you can find Moira later turned into a ghoul.
A process that's SUPPOSED to take months\years, also her dialogue state's that she was away from Megaton when it happened so.. just how?

There's plenty more I'm sure, but that's one that I remember off the top of my head.