I think I found out why I don't like music

Siyano_v1legacy

Jul 27, 2010
For me I find it very hard to get into any kind of music, its not that I don't like music itself I just don't like listening to the same few song over and over, I seem to prefer listening to podcast, just talking radio and such than music.
It very weird when I tell that to people, they always look at me like I am a weirdo :p
guess I am just not into music at all per say.
And when can also say I just hate the catchy pop song that barely have any kind of "deepness"
"work work work work work work" nice lyric... UGH :p

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
RaikuFA said:
So about a year ago, I made a topic on why I can't get into music. After some searching and talking about how much rock band has gone into the realm of stupidity with its upcoming dlc focusing more on pop instead of rock music.

I hate the music industry. The same music industry that tells me I can't like rock music because they decided for me that I didn't like it. I can't walk into a store and buy any album I want because any music I like isn't stocked at stores anymore. I have to go to a record store. And the closest one is 20 minutes away.

I am a bigger threat to the music industry than piracy, because at least there's a chance a pirate will buy the music they like on iTunes. Me? There's no excuse for me to go out and buy cd's. No reason to go to concerts (though I'm not a big fan of concerts anyways).

I dunno, I'm just ranting and hoping this might cause a discussion that will make things more balanced.
...that's not "disliking music" that's disliking mainstream music. Those are totally different things. I mean you flat out say "music you like", which would imply you like music :p

So you don't mainstream music, welcome to the club, many people don't listen to that stuff, myself included for the most part. If you are looking for new music, try some of the sites that introduce you to more music based on bands you do like. They are pretty accurate in my experience. And you are also mad that the physical medium of music is dying? Well, too bad. That's just how the world is now. It's all digital purchase these days. Just download the music you want and you can enjoy it.

Seriously, I don't see how the hell this is the statement of someone who "hates music". You simply hate a handful of types of music, and that's most people there.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
RaikuFA said:
Silentpony said:
Isn't this kinda' like saying you don't like the way McDonald's makes their burgers, therefore you don't like food?
It's more like I don't like food because my only option is McDonalds and nothing else.
Really? Because there are more alternatives than ever before thanks to the internet. Facebook, iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, Soundcloud, Bandcamp...hell, I've discovered some awesome groups from the bgm of dumb TF2 animations on Youtube.

We aren't slaves to the Top 40 anymore like my parents were in the 60's.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fox12 said:
RaikuFA said:
Silentpony said:
Isn't this kinda' like saying you don't like the way McDonald's makes their burgers, therefore you don't like food?
It's more like I don't like food because my only option is McDonalds and nothing else.
Is the issue that you can't seem to find access to the music you like, or is it that you want a physical copy, but you can't find a vendor? Or are you just trying to find music that you like, but you don't know where to look?
It's mainly 1 and 3.

I'm trying Spotify but it's not responding. Might be high traffic.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
RaikuFA said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
Well, what are some bands you do like?
I only have three albums. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1 by Helloween, Toxicity by System of a Down and Preachers of the Night by Powerwolf. Two of those were recommended by my one friend. I used to have a Lost prophets album but I lost it in the move and don't want to get a new one after what I heard happened.
You could always make a Pandora station with Helloween as the base, since they basically are the base for an entire genre of metal and have had an influence on a few others. Adding Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Edguy, Hammerfall, Avantasia, Sabaton, Powerwolf, Gamma Rays, Iron Maiden, and Dragonforce should be enough to make the station suitably diverse.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Raiku bro! Get some Meshuggah and Norma Jean in your system and you'll be right as rain :p

Sign up on Itunes Music, the first three months are free if I'm not mistaken. Then go look up Powerwolf or Helloween on it and check out the similar bands it recommends. Keep on doing that and it'll also start getting an idea of your music taste and recommend you bands you may like on its main page. Next thing you know you're knee-deep in great music.

Mainstream music is absolute trash 90% of the time honestly, but the beauty of it is that's just the brown surface level of shit you're looking at. Take a peek through it and you'll find there's a ton of amazing bands from all kinds of genres to listen to and enjoy.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Blitsie said:
Raiku bro! Get some Meshuggah and Norma Jean in your system and you'll be right as rain :p

Sign up on Itunes Music, the first three months are free if I'm not mistaken. Then go look up Powerwolf or Helloween on it and check out the similar bands it recommends. Keep on doing that and it'll also start getting an idea of your music taste and recommend you bands you may like on its main page. Next thing you know you're knee-deep in great music.

Mainstream music is absolute trash 90% of the time honestly, but the beauty of it is that's just the brown surface level of shit you're looking at. Take a peek through it and you'll find there's a ton of amazing bands from all kinds of genres to listen to and enjoy.
I've been doing Spotify and found Nightwish and Rhapsody. Really up my alley. Also forgot to mention i love Holy Grail. So jealous my cousins husband got to have beer with them backstage one.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I kinda remind that thread, yeah... Well, I don't blame you. I have heard musicians complain a lot about the music industry too (even worse than the gaming industry).

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I get where you're coming from when it comes to mainstream music. Heck even more modern metal bands aren't really to my tastes any more. That raw, rough sound in 80~90's rock/metal often sounds a lot better to me. Though when I do find new music I like it's usually off of youtube, some indie musician or some such. Not sure what to call Miracle of Sound other than an indie musician at least. (as one of the examples.)

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Same can be said about the film and TV industry. They just want your money, duh!

But with music, as others suggested, go back in time. I like rap and hip hop but I can not stand the modern day stuff. It seems lazy and less creative but when I play an old school track, the feels man. The feeeeeeeeels. Downside, some of the lyrics are very questionable and has got me thinking twice abiut a song I use to like.

Recently I have been listening to Lighthouse Family and Faithless and boy do they bring back memories.

Movies, I love horror. Certain horror movies today are just made for the jump scares. Yawn. I prefer the psychological horror. Stories and scenes that will mess with your head during and after watching the movie. Jump scares aren't needed for those movies. Just good story telling and a moment that hits too close to home or scar you for life.

Creative Media, Art, whatever you wanna call it, can be very subjective. Time can change the way you see it and take it in.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
There's plenty of older, timeless, and classic music available to purchase online.

They also have CDs, some even new and never before opened, that you can purchase online. Not sure how your financial or internet situation is like, but that would be one solution for you.

I also am not too thrilled with a lot of new or contemporary takes to rock/alternative music and find myself researching older albums from bands that I enjoyed or bands that I have not previously listened to for one reason or another. I found Led Zepplin's IV album and I simply love it.

I don't think it's possible to come to dislike music if you really enjoyed it before; It's just becoming harder and harder to find music that you can truly enjoy and appreciate going forward in time. There's still plenty of great music not that far behind, especially if you are willing to look for it.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
There's this thing called the internet.
Basically all music that is being created ends up these sooner or later in one form or another.
No need to go to any store.
You have tons of options and ease of access like never before.

Your complaints make me suspect that you're kind of lazy when it comes to looking for the things you like and that you prefer to just take what's right in front of you.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
RaikuFA said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
Well, what are some bands you do like?
I only have three albums. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1 by Helloween, Toxicity by System of a Down and Preachers of the Night by Powerwolf. Two of those were recommended by my one friend. I used to have a Lost prophets album but I lost it in the move and don't want to get a new one after what I heard happened.
Sounds to me your really a fan of Metals: Speed Metal, Nu Metal and Power Metal specifically. What I would recommend is you go onto a variety of Internet sources, like Youtube or Spotify, and you look up these genres, and if you like the most obscure songs from these Genres, then you are probably a fan of those genres.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Steppin Razor said:
In the world of iTunes and the myriad other digital marketplaces, not to mention Spotify and the plethora of other online streaming options, your whinge about not being able to buy music makes no sense. And if you want physical copies, you just need to check out Amazon, eBay or the million other online stores that sell cds.

I'm struggling to understand the issue when music has never been more accessible than it is today.
Pretty much this. I keep rereading the post to try and figure out the issue, but to me it just sounds like it comes down to apathy.

I never buy physical CDs, but that certainly doesn't stop me from finding stuff that I like. If anything, this "it's too hard to get away from pop" would've made a lot more sense BEFORE we got this point in music distribution.

Raiku, I suggest you search for music that people with similar tastes to you enjoy. When I first seriously got into music that wasn't just classical, I searched for bands that people considered similar to the limited selection that I already enjoyed. I gradually broadened my taste from there to the point where I enjoy a wide variety of music from every genre. Now that may not be the typical experience, but it'll at least give you some options.

See if this helps: http://www.last.fm/music/System+of+a+Down/+similar

Maybe the point of the topic was more that you just don't like pop music. Understandable, there's a lot of it that I don't like either. There are also many songs in that genre that I do enjoy (not ashamed to admit that I thoroughly enjoy Kanye), but hey, if it doesn't float your boat, you should look elsewhere.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I responded to your last thread, but I'll just add to the chorus of voices here. It's likely not music in general that you dislike. It's what's being presented to you on popular radio. I don't listen to pop music - I can't stand the way guys sing through their noses to get that high pitch. It's just not my scene and hasn't been for ...... years.

But seriously, you don't just drop "Meshuggah" on someone. It's an acquired taste. If you're into rage metal, I'm sure it sounds like poetry. But I don't think that's the case here.

None of the music I regularly listen to is played on the radio anywhere on this side of the pond. I really should get a satellite radio, though i doubt I could get one compatible with my Audi. At least not cheap.