I think I hate to talk about music more than anything else.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
I think for me it's probably one of the least entertaining things to talk about. Mainly because I actually can't talk to anyone about it because I share tastes in music with absolutely no one. It's probably because I listen to music for different reasons than most, but it's pretty frustrating for me, I guess.

Like, I think pretty much every time I've gotten really impassioned about music and decided that I should share it with someone, my conversation goes a little bit like this.

"WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA this is awesome! I'm going to be in an awesome mood for the rest of the day! Life is awesome! The composition of the instruments are genius! The timing is brilliant! The texture is awesome! Bro, you've gotta listen to this!"

*sends link over skype*

*friend listens for a bit*

"Yeah, man, it's pretty good."

It's at this point where I can tell they don't really care at all and that I'm wasting my time. They've probably even stopped listening to it after 30 seconds or so. Sometimes I go on about it anyway because I'm just in that great of a mood, but at the end of the day, it kind of bugs me how when it comes to music, I can't relate to anyone.

It's getting worse, too. I'm starting to think that I should just start refusing any conversation about music because they're never going to get anywhere. Whenever someone starts a conversation about music, I'm just not interested and want to change the subject and it's not like I'm an introvert. I'm actually far from it and I love to talk to people, but music conversations are just that bad. I think I can talk about music with people much less than I can talk about even politics or religion.

I guess when I think about it, the reason why music conversations are so bad is because when I find a song that genuinely brightens my day and makes me extremely happy, I have no one that I can share it with who actually knows what I'm talking about. :/

Does anyone else have this problem?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ummm...hmmm

I enjoy talking about music as long as I don't have to explain to people for the 100th fucking time YES rap and dubstep are music

and no, dubstep,techno and house are not all the same thing

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I used to have this problem but I found a friend who shared many of my tastes in music, as well as being being musically literate. The best advice I can give is to go and test the waters a bit. Try to find someone among your friends who enjoys similar music to you. A great segway to that is to ask for some musical recommendations from them. It gives you a good insight into what they might listen to. When you find someone who does reciprocate beyond a basic "yeah it's good" level, strengthen that bond. It may take a while, but when you do find that person it will be worth it, trust me on that.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I love talking about music, it's probably one of the only things that I can actually hold a conversation about for a decent amount of time with somebody who isn't a close friend.

I'll listen to, and enjoy, pretty much any kind of music which really helps when discussing it, as you can talk to almost anyone about it as you will have some tastes in common.

So my advice to you is to try and broaden your tastes somewhat, then you might find common musical ground with other people. I used to be one of those annoying people who listened to metal to the exclusion of all else, which is a really bad thing to do, as you miss out on so much good music.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I've got to admit, as much as I do enjoy talking about music, it has become pretty tough since getting to uni. All the people I live with are in to entirely different music to me, so I can't really strike up a conversation. Still, it does mean when I get home at the end of each term I can find my old friend group and have a proper discussion with them about it. Probably the best type of advice is what an annoyed writer just suggested - that is, go out and find some different people to talk to about music. I mean, I managed to find a bunch of guys at my uni who study music tech so we can actually managed to have conversations about music from a technical standpoint now as well, which is a relief.

Vault101 said:
I enjoy talking about music as long as I don't have to explain to people for the 100th fucking time YES rap and dubstep are music
Lord, this. Finding people with the attitude that rap and dubstep aren't music is ridiculously frustrating. Yeah, sorry, just because you don't like or care for it doesn't invalidate its status as music. Yes, rap and dubstep can be technically wonderful and require real skill to construct and compose. Most people I've found with that attitude really have never listened to the damn stuff.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I really can't say anything else about music than if I like it or not.
I have no knowledge about music, so all i can basically do is say I like this band and /or this song because it just sounds good to me or I like the lyrics...
Nothing about notes or speed or technique etc, that's way above my head, also most music discussions are something liek:
"Do you know this song"
"Nope"
"Listen to this"
*puts on song*
"It's OK I guess"
End of "discussion"

I mean everyone has different taste and that's all I can discuss when it comes to music. Nothing that can be seen objectively.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Wadders said:
I love talking about music, it's probably one of the only things that I can actually hold a conversation about for a decent amount of time with somebody who isn't a close friend.

I'll listen to, and enjoy, pretty much any kind of music which really helps when discussing it, as you can talk to almost anyone about it as you will have some tastes in common.

So my advice to you is to try and broaden your tastes somewhat, then you might find common musical ground with other people. I used to be one of those annoying people who listened to metal to the exclusion of all else, which is a really bad thing to do, as you miss out on so much good music.
Well that's the thing. I listen to almost every genre of music, but I judge music on a song by song basis.

My brain sees music sort of in the same way that it sees movies. If a movie has too many cliches in it or is extremely predictable, I'll get really bored of it really fast.

It's the same thing with music. If I can predict almost every single note or if the riffs or note progressions are cliche, then I'll get bored of it really fast.

Like, I'll listen to acoustic music for example, but I physically can't listen to music where the acoustic guitar isn't there for any reason other than to sit in the background and play tired chords while the main singer sings over it and takes pretty much all of the musical presence. Showcases of someone's singing skills can be great, but I'll be more impressed when it's a song where I get the impression that both the guitar and the singer were put into equal consideration when the song was written.

Or another example is that I can't listen to most classical rock (or at least the ones my friends turn on) because I find that its some of the more predictable music, but I can listen to Queen and other classical rock bands that put equal emphasis on their instrumental music.

I can listen to rap. I don't actively seek it out, but I have found a few songs I enjoy in that genre. I found myself listening to this song all day for example, because I was impressed by its lyrics, energy, and the fact that the music is actually just as important as the rapping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfo-EGDBEAY

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Are you me? Seriously this is a major annoyance for me, half of my friends don't listen to music while the others are obsessed with 1 or 2 bands and are really narrow minded. Having a huge collection of music as well as it being my major passion means that I get pissed off during conversations about music.

Friend: "Modern rock music sucks!"
Me: "No it doesn't, have you heard the new Swans album or Lonerism by Tame Impala?"
Friend: "Who?"

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Yeah, I don't talk about music very often, because while I'll listen to practically anything and enjoy most of it except Country (and I'll still admit there are good Country artists, I just don't care enough to search them out), my preferred genres are Post-Hardcore, Progressive Metal/Rock, and Metalcore, and similar to what Vault said above, any type of music with screamed vocals tends to be viewed by the apparently overwhelming majority as "just noise".

I suppose it doesn't help that the fans of the sub-genres of Metal splinter themselves by scoffing at things that "aren't heavy enough" or whatever other crap, but still.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Shia-Neko-Chan said:
I think for me it's probably one of the least entertaining things to talk about. Mainly because I actually can't talk to anyone about it because I share tastes in music with absolutely no one. It's probably because I listen to music for different reasons than most, but it's pretty frustrating for me, I guess.

Like, I think pretty much every time I've gotten really impassioned about music and decided that I should share it with someone, my conversation goes a little bit like this.

"WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA this is awesome! I'm going to be in an awesome mood for the rest of the day! Life is awesome! The composition of the instruments are genius! The timing is brilliant! The texture is awesome! Bro, you've gotta listen to this!"

*sends link over skype*

*friend listens for a bit*

"Yeah, man, it's pretty good."

It's at this point where I can tell they don't really care at all and that I'm wasting my time. They've probably even stopped listening to it after 30 seconds or so. Sometimes I go on about it anyway because I'm just in that great of a mood, but at the end of the day, it kind of bugs me how when it comes to music, I can't relate to anyone.

It's getting worse, too. I'm starting to think that I should just start refusing any conversation about music because they're never going to get anywhere. Whenever someone starts a conversation about music, I'm just not interested and want to change the subject and it's not like I'm an introvert. I'm actually far from it and I love to talk to people, but music conversations are just that bad. I think I can talk about music with people much less than I can talk about even politics or religion.

I guess when I think about it, the reason why music conversations are so bad is because when I find a song that genuinely brightens my day and makes me extremely happy, I have no one that I can share it with who actually knows what I'm talking about. :/

Does anyone else have this problem?
What do you listen to, if I may be so blunt?

I mainly converse with people who share my taste in music, so I do not have this problem.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
A Smooth Criminal said:
I listen to Ellie Goulding and I find her music to be great, but I'm certain if I linked her music to my friends they'd probably call me gay and tell me to gtfo.
I have a great weakness for chick singers, and an even greater weakness for melancholy songs, so I went looking for her as soon as you posted this. Her top two songs on YouTube are fairly frothy, although I'm kind of enjoying Anything Could Happen. Is there a good, sad ballad by her?

Mourne

Jan 28, 2010
When I talk about music to friends, I try my best to keep it minimal because I never see how to "convince" another to like a certain genre of music and if they already like the same type of music as I, then we'll talk a bit about favorite songs and parts of said songs, but not for too long.

When it comes to linking, it's either for me to introduce, convince, or share the song. A decent amount of my friends, for example, had never even heard of Two Steps From Hell. I send them a clip, and then they'll like or dislike it. If they like it and they want more, I'll link them to a couple other songs to get them on their way. If they dislike, the situation comes to a halt, really. I get that urge to put it in their face and go, "Ya know, the instruments are freakin' awesome and meld with the female vocals and choir beautifully! How do you not like it?!" Alas, everyone has a distant taste in music and I can't force others under my boot heel to like my music, and I have no idea how I'd convince them otherwise.

Music discussion is a real hit or miss for me.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I hear you actually. I to don't like talking about music to other people, and it's mainly because of taste. Once I tell people what I listen to it is always the same thing. "Oh that? That isn't music, thats trash" or "why do you like that band!? They suck so much"! And really I honestly don't give a crap, but I really don't need people telling me that what I listen to is the wrong stuff to listen to. I don't care if you read well written album reviews or got a Masters degree in music snobbery, you have no right to tell me that I shouldn't like this type of music based on what you know. It's the arrogance of people that keep my mouth closed off on the subject, I generally get defensive when someone starts insulting things that I like just because they have a different opinion.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Yeah, I kind of know what you?re talking about, seeing as I mostly listen to video game music and I?m sort of ?out of the loop?, so to speak, with what everyone else listens to. I?m not even talking about mainstream music, since none of my friends really listen to it. There are entire classic bands that I?ve probably never listened to more than one song of theirs, that my friends are really into and might talk to their friends about it, but I can?t be involved in the conversation because I?m not really a fan.

And then there?s the dreaded question: ?So, what kind of music do you like??

Ugh.

And it?s enough to broadly say, ?I like different genres?you know, a bit of drum & bass, a bit of rock??, or ?I like anything that sounds good??you?ve got to be a ?rock fanatic?, like my wannabe rock-star friend. One of those ?guys?. Or you have to have a favourite band, like Metallica or something. So more often than not, I use the former phrase, and just throw out a couple of musicians or bands that I like a lot, such as Michael Jackson, or Florence and the Machine.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Vault101 said:
ummm...hmmm

and no, dubstep,techno and house are not all the same thing
Right!? Just because you seriously don't like a genre, doesn't mean it no longer counts as music. I fucking hated boy bands during the late 90s and early (Like...really early) 2000s. But they are still music. But I just manned the fuck up and didn't listen to them as much as possible.

I share next to no similar genre preferences with my flatmates and friends, and I have no trouble talking to them about music. I only have a problem when it turns from a discussion into a "I don't like your music because it sucks!"

M K Ultra

Nov 27, 2012
rhizhim said:
>I think I hate to talk about music more than anything else.talks about it.

yes, i do have that problem accepting other peoples..
what was that thing called?
it started with o and i am sure it sounds like onion or onions or something like that.

hmm....
Onions... Onions everywhere!

Sep 13, 2009
Don't like talking about music? Talk about talking about music!

I have weird music tastes that kind of make it impossible for me to talk to anyone about music with. I prefer instrumental music and soundtracks to most lyrical stuff. I'd say that about 60% of the music on my phone is of that category, while a portion of the rest is just there so when other people listen to it there's something for them. I guess I just like music as an atmospheric background thing more than anything else. Also I don't tend to obsess over it as much as most people I know.

[sub]With the possible exception of ANYTHING by Yuki Kajiura[/sub]

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I gave up a long time ago when it comes to having a lot in common with folks musically. Sure, each friend of mine might like an artist or two that I do, but all-in-all I'm a borderline record snob. I don't MIND talking about music, but I DEFINITELY lose interest quickly if it involves music that I care nothing about.