I think I know why gamers get no respect

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I was charting old grounds at the bungie.net forums when I came across this.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=71694448

I think people like this guy are the reason that gamers get no respect, the elitist snobs. The guy that always looks down on you for being less than perfect and considers themselves to be above normal people and are trying as hard as they can to stonewall new players. And you know what the sad thing is? This isn't the only thread ever made like that on that website. There seems to be an underbelly of people like this in every fanbase. I think that when the average nongamer thinks of games, they think of people like this. In summary, I think that we're not getting respect because of a vocal minority. Sometimes I'm ashamed to call myself a Halo fan. Sorry if you think this is stupid, I just saw this and wanted to talk about it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
erttheking said:

I think people like this guy are the reason that gamers get no respect, the elitist snobs. The guy that always looks down on you for being less than perfect and considers themselves to be above normal people and are trying as hard as they can to stonewall new players. And you know what the sad thing is? This isn't the only thread ever made like that on that website. There seems to be an underbelly of people like this in every fanbase. I think that when the average nongamer thinks of games, they think of people like this. In summary, I think that we're not getting respect because of a vocal minority. Sometimes I'm ashamed to call myself a Halo fan. Sorry if you think this is stupid, I just saw this and wanted to talk about it.
This is how gaming has always been. Just take a look at the FGC. A newcomer apparently has the plague and is treated like they need to be shunned for life.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Nah, people disrespect gamers because they think that gaming is a children's hobby and it leads to people being socially awkward.

Gamers disrespect gamers because we have people like that in our ranks.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Actually we get no respect because the popular people will look at each other and giggle with a smile that says "Whats a video game?"

Although the Bungie Forums are full of little shits who give Halo players a bad name.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
erttheking said:

erttheking: I just got trolled in halo and I need somewhere to post my anger.

Go play Myth II Soulblighter if you want to see how real gamers troll, there are players that have been playing for twelve years totally abuse new players and get totally upset when they are given 8% of the army and the worst purchased trade of slow zombies and a few warriors are used.

Trolling- most of you do not even know what this means till you play this game

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009

...or at least I hope so. Honestly, I've seen players like that who rage if they get anyone on their team who doesn't play halo every single day.

These kind of brats are annoying, but the bungie forums are hell anyway.

Really, I think the real reason we get no respect is that gaming still isn't seen as an entertainment medium like any other instead of a just a toy by a lot of people. Not much we can do about that but try to promote the best games and the gaming experience and wait for gaming to be long running and successful enough for people to finally accept it.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Oh god, I remember being on the Bungie Forums before i came here. It was either this vs. that. 50s are king, colonels suck. Get rid of AR blah blah blah...I feel sorry for Bungie knowing this filth is happening on their own forums.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Oh come on, my Onyx for Close-Quarters kills in matchmaking is coming up soon xD. Soon...
Mortai Gravesend said:
I doubt people outside the gaming community get much of a chance to see people like that in the community.
This. They're turned off by other factors before they even think about elitists. Thank god for that.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Pffft, that's nothing.
That just loses you respect within the gaming community.

Gamers and Games don't get respect because it's a new form of media and it's got people running scared, as they realise their grip on the world is slowly slipping away.

Captcha: move over
An excellent idea.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
No, people who don't play and casuals don't get their info from gaming forums.

A post by some gamer isn't going to affect any outsider's perception about gamers. All the posts in the world won't make a difference.

If you want respect and you don't have the natural charisma to get it for free, earn it by being useful to someone. Be good at your job, volunteer for causes, etc. and assert yourself.

locke

Apr 14, 2012
People like that usually aren't elitists, they just talk like they are. They talk crap to mask how bad they suck

NiPah

May 8, 2009
erttheking said:

The elitism of gamers is not the reason people don't respect us, hell ask the common Joe what they think of when they hear gamer and "elitist" won't be the word, hell I don't think elite would even come up in the conversation.

No the reason most people don't respect gamers is pretty much what you hear every day, they are foul mouthed immature kids on xbox live, sexist, tend to smell bad, be reclusive, and only want to talk about games. I know most of these are false, most reasons the public has for disrespecting a group of people are. You can take heart in knowing nothing you do will ever change this, how could you change something that is mostly false? All you can do is try not to disrespect the next group of fanatics so you don't pass along the hate.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
That's not limited to gamers, though. I would say that every community has their elitist snobs. From chess players over co-workers in an office, foreign aid workers, LARPers (typically really tolerant people) to gamers, pretty much every group has dicks who think they are better becaue they are "hardcore" at what they are doing.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
no
gamers don't get respect because the name gamers is moronic and because games are a rather new medium that despite evidence to the contrary is still seen as a childish waste of time by the population at large. and i still think THAT is because they are jealous that they didn't grow up with games.