I think I'm done with military shooters for a while. Suggestions?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I just finished the BF3 campaign and I must say, it was fucking awful. I finished MW3 last week (I know I'm late, blame being a uni student) and it was fucking awful.

So basically, the two games I was looking forward to most this year, MW3 and BF3 (obviously), were complete letdowns in almost every way to me. I'm about ready to swear them off. And those are my favorite kinds of games!

So, fellow gamers, what are some good games to waste my winter break with that are not Skyrim?

Edit: I'm getting alot of Deux Ex and Metro 2033. Saints Row as well.

Also I have an Xbox.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Sky...
...er...ward Sword. Skyward Sword. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Definitely wasn't going to say Skyrim... nope... noooot at all...

And, I don't know, Deus Ex: Human Revolution? That's a great one.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
Sky...

I see what you did there... ;D

hahaha. I've actually thought about getting Deus Ex. But then I remember Invisible War and I run out of Gamestop screaming like a madman.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Jacco said:
I just finished the BF3 campaign and I must say, it was fucking aweful. I finished MW3 last week (I know I'm late, blame being a uni student) and it was fucking aweful.

So basically, the two games I was looking forward to most this year, MW3 and BF3 (obviously), were complete letdowns in almost every way to me. I'm about ready to swear them off. And those are my favorite kinds of games!

So, fellow gamers, what are some good games to waste my winter break with that are not Skyrim?
Fallout New Vegas, would be my recommendation. But then again, that's kinda shooter.

I like mostly RPGs, so I would suggest Dragon Age: Origins, or Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Oh, if you have a Wii, get Animal Crossing: City Folk. Great time waster.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Angry Birds
Runescape
Katawa Shoujo - coming out soon, only the demo is available
Online flash games like Material Sniper

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Jacco said:
ZeroMachine said:
Sky...

hahaha. I've actually thought about getting Deus Ex. But then I remember Invisible War and I run out of Gamestop screaming like a madman.
OH DEAR GOD NO.

Don't compare it to that. I've never played Invisible War, only watched a couple videos, and I PROMISE you it's better than that. Red Box it or whatever, just rent it, and if you like it, buy it.

Trust me, it's definitely worth at least a try.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
CM156 said:
Jacco said:
I just finished the BF3 campaign and I must say, it was fucking aweful. I finished MW3 last week (I know I'm late, blame being a uni student) and it was fucking aweful.

Fallout New Vegas, would be my recommendation. But then again, that's kinda shooter.

I like mostly RPGs, so I would suggest Dragon Age: Origins, or Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I'm not necessarily against shooters, I'm just against shitty ones.

I've played F:NV and DA:O (almost, I never got past the last castle part because for some dumbass reason I chose three tanks to supplement my Mage).

Jowe

May 26, 2010
killing floor is very awesome, and you can try it for free this weekend on steam :D

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
I've considered replaying the Half-Life series lately for my shooter fix, and there's always TF2 for multiplayer fun of a different kind than MW3 or BF3.

Can't speak for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but the Fallouts (3 and New Vegas in this case) are good time sinks.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Jacco said:
CM156 said:
Jacco said:

I'm not necessarily against shooters, I'm just against shitty ones.

I've played F:NV and DA:O (almost, I never got past the last castle part because for some dumbass reason I chose three tanks to supplement my Mage).
Well, as was said, Human Revolution was a great game. Here's a few tips, assuming you plan on using guns, and ignore stealth.

Get a laser sight for the 10mm. It becomes the best sniping weapon then, if you get the armor ignoring upgrade.

Learn hacking. Don't bother with fortify powers, though.

The social boss battles are easier with a guide. Don't wing them. Trust me.

Get the dermal augs soon, if you plan to be a marksman.

Save the multiple batteries for later, and just get fast-recharge if you use takedowns a lot.

Get the icarus augmentation
Don't get the chip on your second visit to
China
. I won't tell you why. Just... don't

Do all the side quests

Punching through walls is useful. Seeing through them also has its uses.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
kman123 said:
Bulletstorm, Deus Ex HR is REALLY good, like my GOTY good.
I enjoyed Bullet Storm. Quite a bit of the dialogue actually made me laugh, and it was pretty damn unique. Hopefully enough copies sold to warrant the second game.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

I actually played for around an hour or three before i had to kill someone to progress.
Also, that multiple walljump on the side of the BIG statue is really unintuitive, you gotta time it precisely.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Dynasty Warriors 7, Skyward Sword, Mortal Kombat, Dead Rising 2, Crackdown 1, Super Mario Galaxy, Disgaea 4, Dead Island... The list could go on. Any preferred Genres? That would narrow it down a lot.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Jacco said:

IW was a fucking disgrace. Human Revolutions is actually really, really, really good. I spent more time on that game than...a lot of other games.

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
TF2 if you still are into first person shooting and want some fun multiplayer. If you want some thing new and have a DS then I heartily recommend The World Ends With You. If not well the Orange Box is always fun.

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
E.Y.E: divine cybermancy on steam. It's a sourcemod, do don't worry about graphics. It plays like a cross between Half Life 2 and Deus Ex (The first one).
also on steam: AAAAaaaaAAaaAAaaaa for the awesome (semi-sequel to a reckless disregard for gravity). Just a unique, fun game with plenty of challenge and hours of play time.
Those cost $20 and $10 respectively, so I don't see much reason not to try them