I think Microsoft are scared about the 'Death of PC'

L0dest0ne

Sep 24, 2012
Check my avatar.
Microsoft is trying to get out of the PC market as they realize it is contracting. Eventually (maybe 10 years from now) the average consumer will opt for a tablet or smartphone rather than a PC. Microsoft realizes this and is trying to be best prepared for this by easing their customers onto their tablets and phones. Since apple will either be dead or have abandoned the desktop all together by this time, the only OS left on the market will be linux. It already runs on everything else (IIRC 84% of gadgets run on some linux-based OS) so everything will come together nicely, leading to a renaissance of home computers.
That's what I hope will happen anyway.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Everything is dying. Everything is is being phased out by another better version of what is basically a twisted yet superior version of itself.

Personnally I blame entropy.

and evolution.

Or possibly Entrovolutiuon

Evoltopy?

Gnmish

Feb 7, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
They are hoping to fade out all laptops and desktops at my work, because it's a lot harder to take information off the devices onto pen drives or CDs, so tablets are more secure.
Or you could just pick up the tablet and stick it in your bag, very secure there.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I sure wish people would stop blabbing constantly about how PCs are going to die.

See... a bunch of thick people can't seem to remember that they're talking about decades old technology called Client/Server computing. Except now the server can communicate with client machines using wireless tech.

No really, that's IT! That's all that's different! Oh wow, thin Client/Server computing is relevant again because it can now be wireless. Obviously it's the future of everything. Meanwhile, a "cloud" will only be used mainly for information storage and backup... because our cellular and wireless services can't actually handle the overhead it takes for processing on a local server for everyone. So yes, PCs will still be made and used for decades to come.

Maybe they'll be used less by normal people, but just them. Companies will still be using them for the foreseeable future. Gamers will still be using them. Major programmers will still be using them.

Cloud computing... what a joke. People have been using remote storage for years and years and now suddenly the word "Cloud" is tacked onto internet peripherals.

And because there's a new word for it, everyone thinks it's the future. Flash-in-the-pan nonsense. What the hell do you all think is the Internet? Magic? It's a bunch of remote storage devices that you can access to obtain the information contained within from specific devices. You can even run processes that you don't personally have on your computer. You've been "Cloud Computing" all your lives.

The death of the PC has been happening since before the birth of the PC, even, as PCs had to be designed when Client/Server models couldn't handle the increases in needed processing power.

And another thing! Your POS smart phone or tablet is a damned PC. I don't care what you think, it's got a processor and hard storage, it's a PC. That will never go away. The towers will continue to get smaller, and might not even look like a tower after a while. But it'll have a video card, a processor, hard storage, RAM, inputs, outputs, bell and whistles. Rant rant rant rant rant...

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
SciMal said:
Then it's the equivalent of making Margaret Thatcher jokes.

Yes, that's apathy. If I had cared deeply about what the OP said, you'd see a lot more links flying and better analysis.
For being apathetic you sure still wont the subject drop.

SciMal said:
I know about metamaterials, but it doesn't really matter if you can't buy the thing, does it?
Meta-materials were nearly used in the windows tablets according to the British firm developing the technology. They're now looking to Samsung to get make the tech mainstream within the next year.

SciMal said:
Stupid? Because Win Phone 7.5 couldn't be improved? Right... I didn't say Win8 was completely original. I said it was their first serious attempt at a touch screen interface for mobile devices. Win Phone 7.5 is good, but it has its problems and was more an experiment than anything else; a transitional product.
No its stupid because to tailor an OS to a touchscreen device all you need to do is crack the UI, which is what they did with windows phone 7.5. No matter what way you cut it.

SciMal said:
Power Users will have a previous copy of Windows and know how to install it. Since most of the complaints about Win8 come from Power Users, I seriously don't see the problem. Don't like it, don't keep it.

For the average Joe who just needs to watch movies, surf the internet, and use Microsoft Office - maybe play a few games - Win8 will be perfectly fine.
Sorry you was arguing that they was not pushing their OS on users, which is exactly what they will be doing, they got units to shift. But its OK because it will only be casual users who may suffer from a UI so obviously designed for touchscreen. Plus i don't no many casual computer users who know much of windows 8, that would perhaps explain why we only heard complaints from "power users".

SciMal said:
MS never had dominance in the smartphone market. Before Apple it was BlackBerry. For desktops, they're still dominant.

The leader is always imitated. Why do you think you have a right-click with Apple mice these days?
I was under the impression that Apple and Microsoft compete in the same market place, and it was only in the past few years that Apple has become the powerhouse in this market. E.G RICHEST COMPANY ON EARTH

If leaders are always imitated, why is apple now releasing a 7.x inch tablet after Steve Jobs very public disdain for them?

SciMal said:
I never said I was offended, but if you honestly think what you said at the end didn't contain insults, then you have some things to sort through. Like why you're being extremely passive aggressive and don't feel comfortable expressing your distaste for others.

There's no need to be obnoxious, true, but given that the OP set precedent for sardonic posts, I don't mind indulging.
Yes sorry i fail to see any insults in the post you are referring too. It was a mere observation. If you thought they were insults they wasn't, and maybe you should become a little thicker skinned or more open to criticism.

I'm being passive aggressive as i don't wish to stoop to the level of whiny children, id rather talk like adults. Why would i have any distaste for you? I don't even know you!

Though if you feel its an indulgence to be obnoxious to other people, its obvious your not a very nice person, and i no longer want to converse or exchange opinions with you as i have developed a dislike for you.

Take care and all the best in being a prick to people.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
flarty said:
For being apathetic you sure still wont the subject drop.
Because I care about a good debate. ;-)

Meta-materials were nearly used in the windows tablets according to the British firm developing the technology. They're now looking to Samsung to get make the tech mainstream within the next year.
That'll be nice if it comes through, but that's the future. Right now you can't buy them, so there's little reason to bring them up except in academic and hypothetical exercises.

No its stupid because to tailor an OS to a touchscreen device all you need to do is crack the UI, which is what they did with windows phone 7.5. No matter what way you cut it.
I'm sure there are programmers of all sorts who would disagree with you. As I'm not one, and I don't know if you are, I'll leave that there.

Sorry you was arguing that they was not pushing their OS on users, which is exactly what they will be doing, they got units to shift.
There's a difference between "marketing" and "pushing." Microsoft refusing to update Windows XP after 10 years is pushing people to a new version. Microsoft partnering with Dell to put it on new desktops is marketing.

More to the point, that sentence has absolutely nothing to do with the sentence of mine you quoted. Your original point is that MS was "pushing" Win8 on people because users would have to install another version if they wanted it, and I pointed out that most power users have other versions so the inconvenience is a few hours at most.

Then you just re-iterated your point without additional evidence or a cogent rebuttal.

But its OK because it will only be casual users who may suffer from a UI so obviously designed for touchscreen.
Pretty much. Mostly because they won't suffer that much at all.

Plus i don't no many casual computer users who know much of windows 8, that would perhaps explain why we only heard complaints from "power users".
Perhaps. That's awful speculative, though.

I was under the impression that Apple and Microsoft compete in the same market place, and it was only in the past few years that Apple has become the powerhouse in this market. E.G RICHEST COMPANY ON EARTH
They compete in multiple markets. Desktops, laptops, mobile devices, software, hardware, etc.

And you should know that when you account for inflation, other companies outdo Apple for being the most valuable in-context. Apple is simply the most valuable at this moment in this economy. Which I won't degrade, it's a magnificent feat for sure - but other companies have had more buying power in their eras.

If leaders are always imitated, why is apple now releasing a 7.x inch tablet after Steve Jobs very public disdain for them?
Wow, it took me a minute to actually understand your argument here. I think what you mean (which isn't what I meant, but let's continue) is: "Why is Apple making products that their leader disliked, and not imitating him?"

That's easy, though. Jobs is dead. Apple doesn't have a clue what to do right now, and that's why you're seeing some rough edges. The Apple mapping feature debacle, the security issues, and now an iPad that is a bit of a misfit.

I'm being passive aggressive as i don't wish to stoop to the level of whiny children, id rather talk like adults.
Which is ironic, because passive aggressiveness is associated with being a teenager in the USA.

Don't be passive aggressive, be frank and accept responsibility if you're wrong or if you don't know.

Though if you feel its an indulgence to be obnoxious to other people, its obvious your not a very nice person, and i no longer want to converse or exchange opinions with you as i have developed a dislike for you.
I never claimed to be nice. I would claim that I'm blunt, confident, and willing to take responsibility for my actions. "Nice" is the type of bullshit I grew out of when I realized that 'Nice' was often synonymous with 'low self-esteem'.

Take care and all the best in being a prick to people.
Thanks. Good luck being passive aggressive. :)

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
LordFish said:
It's no secret that the reason for forcing Metro on everyone was to acclimate us to the UI so that they should shift more phones. (Talk about abusing a monopoly in one area in an attempt to gain a dominant position in another!) I grok this. I can even respect it to a limited extent.
The above is from The Register, however it got me thinking, It's a massive dick move from Micro$oft, however I can't really blame them since... The PC may be dying.

From where I stand, 80% of PCs aren't power houses of gaming and terraflops, they are casual laptops used for Facebook and Skype... As the average user gets more adapt to more powerful tablets and other mobile devices, all that will be left is us 'power users' *sniff*

Captcha: Goody Dumdrop.
I really don't see PC dying out... Simply because it will always have the best looking games with the most variety. Also you're forgetting to factor in how cheap it is to get a beast of a system these days, allowing all the people who have wanted to PC game for a while the opportunity to do so.

In fact I think we may be looking at a golden age for the PC soon, depending on how the next generation of console launches go. I mean say Sony is way over priced and Microsoft has a similar planned obsolescence thing going on, meanwhile absurdly powerful PCs, pirate friendly and ready to go are dropping in price...

I'm sad I never see people talking about the Death of Consoles, because I really think one day it will happen, I mean we are down to three companies at this point, it's can't be that great of a business if no one else is buying in yet.