I wanna get into Dr. Who. How do I start?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Decide whether you're more of a purist jerk and watch the earliest stuff while complaining that the new series is garbage or if you're more of a fan of modern TV and watch the new stuff while complaining about the purist snobs and never bothering to watch the old stuff.

I kid though, start with 2005, watch some episodes since it goes into the major elements and basic story of the series. Once you have the basics, you can jump around to various points much easier to see what you really like. It's a really, really big series.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Hate to be a broken record but, yeah I'd start with either Christopher Eccleston's run in 2005 or Matt Smith's run in 2010.
They're both pretty good and introduce some of the basic stuff about the Doctor Who mythos.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Moderated said:
The epic rap battle really made that guy look really likable, the first one.
I'll probably start with that one, but is there a better doctor to start with, and also, what episode starts the show that guy?
Do you have Netflix? The entire revived series up to season 6 is all there. If you don't like the Doctor from 2005 (Chris Eccleston), then don't fret, as he only starred in the first 13 or so episodes. Don't skip to Season 2 however, as Season 1 contained VITAL information if you don't want to get totally confused.

Others might tell you to go straight to the classic series, but the revived series is much more accessible and allows you to take a few steps into the series without feeling totally alienated.

IF YOU READ ANYTHING FROM THIS POST READ THIS:If you're scared of a huge, creeping continuity (a la every comic book since the 70s), than don't worry about it; I started just last year on season 1 on Netflix and everything was neatly introduced to me, and before I knew it I became a regular Whovian.

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
I'd Echo what most people here say, start with the first series of the revived show from 2005, with Big Chris and Billie Piper and work your way forward to the present. Then if you're really hungering for more check out some of the choice classic episodes (War Games, The Ark in Space, Pyramids of Mars, City of Death, Caves of Adronzani and a bunch more)

If you're interested in really speed running the show here's how I'd jump through the modern series:
Series 1:

E1 - Rose
E2 - The End of the World
E6 - Dalek
E9 + E10 - The Empty Child + The Doctor Dances (Two parts of the same story)
E12 + E13 - Bad Wolf + The Parting of the Ways

Series 2:

EX - The Christmas Invasion
E3 - School Reunion
E4 - The Girl in the Fireplace
E8 + E9 - The Impossible Planet + The Satan Pit
E10 - Love and Monsters
E12 + E13 - The Army of Ghosts + Doomsday

Series 3
E1 - Smith + Jones
E3 - Gridlock
E8 + E9 - Human Nature + The Family of Blood
E10 - Blink
E11, E12 + E13 - Utopia + The Sound of Drums + Last of the Time Lords

(Six Consecutive Episodes, but the best six consecutive episodes the show has produced.)

Children in Need Special No. 2 - Time Crash (It's 8 minutes long and brilliant! Also reintroduces one of the classic doctors so a bit of a history lesson)

Series 4
E1 - Partners in Crime
E3 - The Planet of the Ood
E7 - The Unicorn and the Wasp
E8 + E9 - Silence in the Library + The Forest of the Dead
E10 - Midnight
E12 + E13 - The Stolen Earth + Journey's End (E11 - Turn Left is technically part of this story too, but not hugely necessary)

Specials:
The Waters of Mars
The End of Time (Part 1 + 2)

Series 5
(There's vital plot info in some of the episodes skipped, but the episodes themselves are a bit too much to slog through. Just pick it up from the the "Previously on..." at the start of the next episode)
E1 - The Eleventh Hour
E4 + E5 - The Time of Angel + Flesh and Stone
E7 - Amy's Choice
E10 - Vincent and the Doctor
E12 + E13 - The Pandorica Opens + The Big Bang

Series 6
E1 + E2 - The Impossible Astronaut + The Day of the Moon
E4 - The Doctor's Wife
E7 - A Good Man Goes to War
E8 - Lets Kill Hitler
E10 - The Girl Who Waited
E13 - The Wedding of River Song

...and Series 7 is still on going so yeah, that'll have you pretty much caught up, good times.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Like with most things, wherever you want to. I first started watching Doctor Who with the Series 4 Specials. Then I started watching the post 2005 Who regularly on Space. Then when I got Netflix I watched the scant few Classic Who episodes they had. So yeah start wherever you want. You won't have a clue what's going on at first, but you'll pick up all the nuances eventually. It's the same no matter what you're trying to get into.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Knoxy said:
Snipadee Doo Dah, Snippity Yay!
That's a good list for speedrunning through the whole of NuWho.
You've pretty much picked all the episodes with important plot details in there, but one thing kind of stood out for me...

Series 2:

E10 - Love and Monsters
Why this episode of all things?

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
You could just start wherever you feel like it, and if you have any questions I'm sure many Who-fans, me inluded, would be happy to explain.
But yeah, just start from the 9th doctor. That's what I did, and any questions I had were answered by the internet.

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
Baron von Blitztank said:
Well because I tried to include the really stand-out episodes as well as the broader plot important ones and to me this episode really stands out, it's probably the closest thing RTD ever gave to a thesis statement on why he thought it was important that Doctor Who came back.

Also if you ever plan to get into a serious discussion about RTD's Who this one is bound to come up so you might as well watch it so you have an opinion on it.

Moderated

May 12, 2012
Thanks guys. I'm going to start with the reboot.
TBH, I thought the show went on with no stops or reboots since it first came out in 1963.

Aug 1, 2010
Watch Blink to get the gist of the show, then start with the first Eccleston episode, Rose.

I say watch Blink first because some of Ecclestons early episodes can sort of turn people off from the series.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Moderated said:
Thanks guys. I'm going to start with the reboot.
TBH, I thought the show went on with no stops or reboots since it first came out in 1963.
No there was a long period from 1989 to 2005 where there no new Doctor Who TV shows. There was a movie made to try and generate intrest but it didn't suced. Than in 2005 Russell T. Davis rebooted the series and it has been going strong ever since.

As with others I would suggest starting at the start of the 2005 relaunch. However you could also skip to series five which was the start of the latest actor to play the doctor. Or you could wait until that upcoming Christmas episode which will introduce a new companion.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Knoxy said:
Baron von Blitztank said:
Well because I tried to include the really stand-out episodes as well as the broader plot important ones and to me this episode really stands out, it's probably the closest thing RTD ever gave to a thesis statement on why he thought it was important that Doctor Who came back.

Also if you ever plan to get into a serious discussion about RTD's Who this one is bound to come up so you might as well watch it so you have an opinion on it.
All you need to see to make an accurate opinion of that episode is this image:

accompanied with this quote:

"We even have a bit of a sex life."

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
Start with the first episode of the reboot, though I'm gonna let you know right now that the first few episodes are terrible. Force yourself to get through them just to get the backstory, and then the show will start to take off.

First episode nearly turned me away from the show forever. I'm so glad I decided to keep watching.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Well, I'm biased, as it's my favorite season, start with Series 1, the 2005 series. It's funny, clever, and well written. Thing is, the first few episodes aren't amazing, but when it gets to episode 6, then it gets awesome.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Start with the 2005 season one, that's what i did and i am now a full pledged Whovian.
On another note, this is a Doctor Who thread, yet Timelord has not yet posted, is his internet down?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Shinsei-J said:
Well I'd start with season one of the reboot.
You just get more back story due to the whole "reboot" thing.
Plus you get the worlds greatest northern accent.
Universe's greatest Northern accent, I think you mean.

Captcha: 1.21 Gigawatts. Wrong franchise.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
You wanna get into Doctor Who?
Go back in time to 1963 :p
Or skip the first Doctor, as he had little to do with the development of the character and go straight to Patrick Troughton, who is still damn awesome.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Just get in with the reboot and explore the older doctors if you feel like! That's what I'm doing.