I want Obsidian to make the next Elder Scrolls game

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
Jove said:
Obsidian made an inferior KOTOR game and Fallout game, I would have a stroke before I hear them even think of making an Elder Scrolls game.
Fallout 3 is absolute junk (barely any sidequest and weapons, no real choice, shitty ending, forgettable characters) compared to New Vegas

KoTOR 2 only falls apart at the end, they kick the original in the ass in every aspect.

I enjoy Bethesda games, They are the best world builder around but that's all they got going for them.

Obsidian on the other hand, they are not the best game maker around but I would argue that their writing department is even better than Bioware's. And for me, in an RPG that's the most important thing.

I would not give Obsidian control on the primary franchise, but I will be very excited if they get to make an Elder Scrolls spinoff

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Mick Myers said:
Freaky Lou said:
bussinroundz said:
Anyone who feels Fallout 3 was superior to NV is so lost (or just a d**k-riding Beth fangirl), they don't even deserve to be argued with.
Pretty much agreed. I wrote up a pretty big argument about how NV is better in a PM; perhaps I'll make a thread of it sometime. It could be interesting because I very rarely see anyone who prefers 3 explain why.
So, to sum it up for both of you, your closed-mindedness and inability to see the other side of the argument is perfectly acceptable, but anyone else that varies in opinion doesn't deserve to have said opinion?... Right. I dub thee Incompetent Douche-bags. Good day. Please, for the sake of humanity, don't ever have children, your stupidity needs to end with you.
CRIKEY, you are hostile. I said that I haven't heard an argument for why FO3 is better and would like people who think it is to explain themselves. And because of this, I shouldn't be allowed to reproduce?

Have you tried just explaining your side? Because I haven't rejected it out-of-hand, I've just not actually heard anything beyond "New Vegas sucks 3 is better."

Mick Myers

Nov 16, 2011
New-Vegas was a broken cookie cutter remake of fallout 3. There was nothing new, aside from the atrocities that Obsidian put into the game while breaking it. A f***all broken combat and leveling system, unforgivably broken AI, menus, interface, save system (3 months to make it so you can actually save and continue playing? i think not) A forgetable (at best) story, NO creative locations (ooh, a desert, ooh more desert, ooh a cave in the desert, OOH MORE DESERT).

Fallout 3 was the turn point in the fallout series (an already great series, mind you) that New-Vegas tried to ride the coat tails of but couldn't hang on and crashed and burned miserably.

Hero with some miracle one in a million situation in the begining? -Fallout3, check, new-vegas, check
First person shooter style RPG? Fallout 3 was the first, new-vegas, attempts.
Story and locations being memorable? Fallout 3, check. New-Vegas, lol are you shitting me?
Story revolving around water-source being a control point for power. Fallout 3, check. New-vegas, oh that's original.

Combat system & leveling that allowed you to change to how you played? Fallout 3, check. New-Vegas *targeting rock next to large group of enemies* *targeting companion behind you* *targeting cloud* *oops your dead*

Fallout 3 was a point in the series history that drew in crowds of people, and is STILL being played and replayed to this day. New-Vegas? The WORST rated game in the series, broken to all holy hell, and making fans of the series weery of ever touching or hoping for another fallout game to be made just because of how broken it was.

Maybe if they had just let obsidian write for them, it could have been acceptable. But having a company that is yet to have a single game they release in the past 10 years live up to the hype that is set for it, let alone actually be to a point of acceptable release quality by todays standards, that was a horrible idea, and I prefer they (Obsidian) not drag another good series through the mud and into a pile of shit.

Lhynn

Oct 7, 2011
Obsidian writing is the best, i loved kreia, shes been one of the deepest most interesting characters ive seen on a video game.
Kotor 2 was better than Kotor 1, even if they were both good games the sequel had better characters, better writing and was a deeper experience.
And vault 11 (a vault in NV) was more entertaining to play through than fallout 3 as a whole.

They simply need to hire more people to test their buggy games (i think they only have like 1 tester).

As someone above me said, the writing, the characters, and the ability to make decisions are what makes an RPG great. If it lacks any of those an RPG can only be good.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Obsidian should WRITE Fallout games...but not ever MAKE games... They have good intentions and such.... Y U NO MAKE BUG FREE GAME!

Also if youre going to cry but Bethesda...stop right there criminal scum...I cant count a game breaking bug in Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim...tho I did have an incident with the jewelery dealer in Riften...but reloading fixed him..

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Mick Myers said:
The Madman said:
Elder Scrolls isn't a series known for its story. It's a series renown for it's open-endedness and freedom of choice, that and it's durpy AI and ability to break the game with ease. Still it's a fun series that does what it does really well, I might not always enjoy it (Loved Morrowind, disliked Oblivion, haven't played Skyrim) but I can always respect it.

Obsidian would do their usual thing with added dialogue and story, they'd try to create a more compelling narrative experience which sounds great on paper, but it's not why people play the Elder Scrolls series. Meanwhile what Obsidian doesn't do well is tight gameplay or polish, though to be fair Dungeon Siege 3 is pretty bug-free.

Regardless just a silly match-up. Worked for Fallout because Obsidian has ties to the original games, no such connection exists like that for the Elder Scrolls series.

Personally I think Obsidian should do like Double Fine did and put their effort, at least for a time, into creating smaller projects. Downloadable titles, fun niche projects and the like. I'd love to see what a studio as creative as they are would come up with.
Not known for it's story? You are kidding right? They've been VASTLY immersive with the story since Morrowind, and they keep getting better. There is no reason Obsidian should touch Elder Scrolls, nor is it forgivable that they put that shit-stain that was New-Vegas across Bethesda's good name.
I apologize sincerely but what crack are you smoking? I would like some if it made Bethesda's stories immersive. Also no need to get so angry at people. It's not good for your health :)
Also it's your right to think new vegas was shit. But to say it put a stain on bethesda's good name is rather absurd. I'd be inclined to say that it's true if you put that bethesda was the one to put a shit stain on the fallout name. Once again I apologize since i'm being an ass to you but you're making it hard not to with your outrageous posts and attitude.

OT: take obsidians writers and the facial animation from la noir and the general character animations from rage. THEN make a new elder scrolls game. It would be epic to have an amazing story and characters who had some personality and weren't stiff as a board while talking.