I want to go on a lonely adventure into an unknown, interesting world. Any PC recommendations?

ninja666

May 17, 2014
I'm very starved for a decent open world experience right now. I'd like an open world game that's more on the sandboxy side, where I can truly feel like an adventurer. Something that's more gameplay than story-driven and where there's very little urgency. Something where the world destruction I have to save everyone from can wait until I actually start giving a fuck about it.

What I want is something with a vast, open world that's interesting to explore, where I can just go on a lonely adventure (preferably with my own created character, but that's not a dealbreaker), full of immersion, exploration and interesting discoveries. Something where almost every few steps there's a new, unique cave/tomb/dungeon to explore and plunder, an atmospheric landmark to look at, a village/town to restock my supplies in, or an interesting quest to complete.

Basically, I'd like the game to have a very fleshed-out side content department and a world that doesn't feel empty, so that I won't get bored of playing it too quickly. The problem with finding such a game is that many of today's open world games feel pretty much like single player MMO, where the world is just a lifeless, barren space, with some monsters sprinkled around, and where the quest variety begins and ends with "bring me 10 wolf pelts because reasons".

Here are some examples of games that have scratched that itch for me in the past, to a larger or smaller extent:

- Starbound. Its slow-paced nature that required from you to explore every planet thoroughly really did it for me. Not to mention its godlike map generator that always managed to surprise me with something new I haven't seen yet. Villages, ancient temples, tombs, research facilities, military bases, abandoned mineshafts, even whole underground cities - this game had a lot of going on when it came to variety of optional shit you could find. Also, chests filled with cool-ass loot lying everywhere! It lacked heavily in the quest department, but the aforementioned factors really compensated for it.
- Bethesda games. I think there isn't really much to say about them that isn't already known. My favourites were Morrowind (it had a really unique world, full of interesting places), Oblivion (tons upon tons of really well-written sidequests, plus some really nice vistas), Fallout 3 (New Vegas had better story, but FO3 had a much more expansive world), and Fallout 4 (the world was very condensed, but it had tons upon tons of cool, optional locations you could find and explore; unfortunately I could only play it up to a certain part before it started being unplayable due to my weak PC combined with shit optimization).
- Assassin's Creed 4. Its side content got a tad bit repetitive after a while, as per usual with Ubisoft's games, but the world was super fun to explore. The atmosphere was unmatched, too. I haven't played a better pirate-themed action adventure game than that in my entire life.

Here are my PC's specs. It's pretty low-end, which I'm aware is a heavily limiting factor. Unfortunately, I can't afford to upgrade it at this moment, so you're gonna have to work with what I have currently:

- AMD Ahtlon II X4 @ 2.8GHz
- 4GB RAM
- AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB

So, based on that, do you have any ideas for a game that might scratch that itch for me? I'd really prefer something that takes place in a fantasy, or any other setting where the main method of dealing with conflict is via melee combat, since those kinds of settings are the best ones to convey the feeling of some good ol' adventuring, but other settings are also fine with me, as long as the game meets the criteria given.

Also, don't suggest The Witcher 3. I know I'm making it hard on you by ruling it out, since it's probably the closest thing to what I want, but the problem is that I don't have enough hard drive space for it. I have a pretty small hard drive, with lots of important files on it that I can't just delete, so I simply can't spare 50+GB on a game, no matter how good it is.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Well, if you're serious about the "lonely" bit then Limbo is a grand opportunity to discover the depths of solitude and death suffering perseverance.

Beyond that the only games I play are Hidden Object and BioWare games. Sorry.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Basement Cat said:
Well, if you're serious about the "lonely" bit then Limbo is a grand opportunity to discover the depths of solitude and death suffering perseverance.
Well, while it definitely fits the "lonely adventure" part, it's completely not what I'm looking for. It's not open world, it doesn't have exploration, and it doesn't have any content apart from the main story.

Also, to give a good example of what I'm after - I want a game that's like what people are hyping Breath of the Wild to be. Because it's most likely just hype for the most part and the real game is probably no better at doing the open world stuff than the previous games in the franchise, or, say, Dragon's Dogma (which in both cases equals "pretty badly"). Still, all that hype really makes me crave for such an experience.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I knw this will cause some PTSD on some people but how about No Mans Sky? If you are unaure check out its reddit page

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Lufia Erim said:
I knw this will cause some PTSD on some people but how about No Mans Sky? If you are unaure check out its reddit page
Isn't this game pretty much just a walking simulator, with literally nothing to do apart from that?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Two Worlds. Its a way better game series than given credit for. It was outdated looking when new, but its a very large open world with alot of neat ideas that it gave a shot on.

The first is more open-world than the second.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
ninja666 said:
Also, don't suggest The Witcher 3. I know I'm making it hard on you by ruling it out, since it's probably the closest thing to what I want, but the problem is that I don't have enough hard drive space for it. I have a pretty small hard drive, with lots of important files on it that I can't just delete, so I simply can't spare 50+GB on a game, no matter how good it is.
It's actually about 35Gb, but that doesn't matter. Your PC is below minimum requirements for TW3.

The one game that fits the bill is the one that I told you about before - Darksiders 2. In fact the feeling of being all alone in a far away place, a strange and sometimes scary place is one of the things that I love the most about it.

How about Fable games? Personally I never liked them. I don't like almost anything that Peter Molyneux has made, but they might fit your criteria.

Aside from melee combat Borderlands 2 could work as well.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Saelune said:
Two Worlds. Its a way better game series than given credit for. It was outdated looking when new, but its a very large open world with alot of neat ideas that it gave a shot on.

Good idea. I remember playing Two Worlds years ago and having a blast with it. It seems like it might be a good time for a revisit. Let's hope it wasn't a case of me having fun with it back then because I didn't know any better.

Feel free to post more suggestions if you have any, folks. I'm still observing this thread in hope that maybe something better will pop up.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ninja666 said:
Saelune said:

Good idea. I remember playing Two Worlds years ago and having a blast with it. It seems like it might be a good time for a revisit. Let's hope it wasn't a case of me having fun with it back then because I didn't know any better.

Feel free to post more suggestions if you have any, folks. I'm still observing this thread in hope that maybe something better will pop up.
Like I said, it tries alot of things most people wont even notice cause they likely did not get far. Lots of neat places and environments that...most people probably never bother getting to, like a massive bamboo forest, spanning desert, barren deadly wasteland, charred forest, etc.

Oh, and you can easily become OP as hell, which I -like-.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
The one game that fits the bill is the one that I told you about before - Darksiders 2. In fact the feeling of being all alone in a far away place, a strange and sometimes scary place is one of the things that I love the most about it.
I was thinking about it, but I wasn't sure if it was what I'm after right now. All I knew about it was that it was open world and was somewhat reminiscent of Zelda in terms of atmosphere. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I think this'll be the game I'm gonna go with if nothing better shows up.

Adam Jensen said:
How about Fable games? Personally I never liked them. I don't like almost anything that Peter Molyneux has made, but they might fit your criteria.
Already played them to death. I loved them. I wouldn't say they have the type of world I'm looking for right now, though. Their world design consists pretty much of a bunch of corridors connected to either another set of corridors, or one bigger location.

Adam Jensen said:
Aside from melee combat Borderlands 2 could work as well.
I played it, like, a year or so ago. I liked it, but it was too centered around co-op for my liking. I don't have anyone to play it with, unfortunately.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
These might do:
Tales of Maj'e'yal, Elona, Balrum, Avadon, Avernum, UnderRail, Fallout 2, Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Lionheart Legacy of the Crusader, Wasteland 2, Gothic 1/2/3, Riven?

Or: In Space!!
Freelancer, Escape Velocity Nova, 3030 Deathwar, Drox Operative, Endless Sky, Flatspace I/II, NAEV, Smugglers 3/4/V, Space Rangers HD a War Apart, Transcendence?

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Vendor-Lazarus said:
These might do:
Tales of Maj'e'yal, Elona, Balrum, Avadon, Avernum, UnderRail, Fallout 2, Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Lionheart Legacy of the Crusader, Wasteland 2, Gothic 1/2/3, Riven?
I don't think an isometric RPG is what I'm after. Already played all of the Gothic games, too. Elona looks kinda sorta interesting though. I might check it out a little deeper.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
Or: In Space!!
Freelancer, Escape Velocity Nova, 3030 Deathwar, Drox Operative, Endless Sky, Flatspace I/II, NAEV, Smugglers 3/4/V, Space Rangers HD a War Apart, Transcendence?
Space sims aren't really my cup of tea. Sorry.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Subnautica, perhaps? It's perhaps a bit sparser than you're looking for and I'm not really versed on specs outside of my own, but there is something to be said about being stranded on and exploring an alien, underwater world. Main quest is basically trying to get off the world (which you can't do yet. The game is still early access and updating regularly), but the bulk of the content is exploring, trying to figure out how to get from Point A to Point B, crafting/resource collecting (food and water included)...and trying to avoid the Reaper Leviathans.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Asita said:
Subnautica, perhaps? It's perhaps a bit sparser than you're looking for and I'm not really versed on specs outside of my own, but there is something to be said about being stranded on and exploring an alien, underwater world. Main quest is basically trying to get off the world (which you can't do yet. The game is still early access and updating regularly), but the bulk of the content is exploring, trying to figure out how to get from Point A to Point B, crafting/resource collecting (food and water included)...and trying to avoid the Reaper Leviathans.
Nice suggestion. Might be something up my alley. I'm not gonna play it right now because I don't play Early Access games, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for when it's fully finished. Thanks for suggesting it.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Sweet Jebus, nobody threw out Stalker: SOC or COP yet? If you haven't, give those a whirl OP, especially being a fan of fallout 4. Fallout 4:survival mode is the closest thing I've played to a stalker joint since they popped.

If you do choose to take the dive though, consider using the 2009 complete (for SOC) and 2012 complete (for COP) mods for a nice bit of smoothening and enhancing of the experience.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I second STALKER, atleast Shadow of Chernobyl. However I do heavily recommend the Zone Reclamation Project which gives tons of bugfixes and tweaks you can set to your own desire.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
ZombieProof said:
Sweet Jebus, nobody threw out Stalker: SOC or COP yet? If you haven't, give those a whirl OP, especially being a fan of fallout 4. Fallout 4:survival mode is the closest thing I've played to a stalker joint since they popped.

If you do choose to take the dive though, consider using the 2009 complete (for SOC) and 2012 complete (for COP) mods for a nice bit of smoothening and enhancing of the experience.
I played Shadow of Chernobyl back when it came out, so without any mods or improvements. It might be a really nice experience to replay it with all those mods that got released during those 10 years. Thanks for the suggestion.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Also, you could buy a 2TB external drive to put your bigger games on. You could get one sub-$100.

That way you totally could sexperience the stuff you want.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
American Fox said:
Also, you could buy a 2TB external drive to put your bigger games on. You could get one sub-$100.

That way you totally could sexperience the stuff you want.
Unfortunately, I don't live in a first world country. Hardware over here is ridiculously expensive. A good quality 2TB external hard drive would cost about a quarter of a monthly minimum wage.