I want to go on a lonely adventure into an unknown, interesting world. Any PC recommendations?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
ninja666 said:
Redvenge said:
Based on your responses, you want something action/adventure/real-time, no strategy mechanics thingy? Something that can run on a toaster built in the 90's?
Yep, pretty much. Got anything like that?
You could dive into old CRPG classics you can get on GoG.com if you can set aside your wish for real-time stuff, though it's turn-based combat that's nowhere near something like Final Fantasy. Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Fallout, and even slightly newer ones like Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines which even has real-time combat. And you can always look at the newer members of that genre, like Pillars Of Eternity (which you can play real-time), Torment: Tides Of Numenera, that kind of thing. There's a lot of quality questing material in those games, lots to explore, all that jazz.

And if you want to get real old-school (kind of) you could even download Dwarf Fortress for free and dive into the Adventure Mode.

Dalsyne

Jul 13, 2015
So... you want another Skyrim.

Have you tried the Risen games? Shadow of Mordor might work too, it's very Assasin's Creedy.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Dr. McD said:
I just remembered a really old game called Outcast, I haven't actually played it but I know it used voxels or something similar and had an orchestral soundtrack during the days when 3D models using polygons and multiplayer deathmatches with excuse plots were getting popular (In their defence, had they gone with polygon rendering on the GPUs available at the time, no computer in the world at that point in time would be able to handle the game). It also apparently had advanced AI for the time.
Oh yeah, I remember reading about it in some gaming magazine a long time ago. The overall idea seemed really cool and innovative at the time. I might check it out. Let's hope it's aged well.

Jerast said:
I hate to be that guy, but what about minecraft with mods? You can mod the fuck out of it so you can make it an adventure game sorta and your toaster could probably run it as long as you don't try to host a server for multiple people.
I don't really think it's the kind of experience I'm looking for. While I liked Starbound, and Starbound is very similar to Minecraft, Starbound's map generator was miles ahead of what even modded Minecraft could ever achieve and that's what made it worth playing. For example, when you encounter an underground dungeon in Starbound, it's actually built like a proper dungeon, with multiple complex paths, secret rooms, multiple treasures etc. while Minecraft's randomly generated "dungeons" are just one room with a chest in the middle of it. There might be mods that add in pre-built dungeons into the map the game generates for you, but they're most likely gonna start repeating pretty short into the game, while Starbound's dungeons will always feel sorta unique because they're always randomly generated.

Mike Richards said:
Consider this recommendation coming with some significant caveats but all the more obvious answers were already covered. You might want to look into Pathologic.
I remember trying to play it a few years ago. It didn't go well. Literally nothing could render properly on my hardware because it was too new (and therefore incompatible) - the grass was missing, the models were glitchy and flickery, the draw distance was absolutely fucked etc.

I've heard there was a remake for modern systems in the making, but I didn't really kept an eye on it. Has it been released yet?

Arnoxthe1 said:
Honorable Mention: Far Cry 2
Already played it. I loved it, even despite the annoying mechanics like malaria kicking in at random times, or instantly respawning enemies. Its overall hardcore, unforgiving nature was oddly charming to me. I don't think it's the kind of experience I'm looking for right now, though. Right now I want something where adventuring feels cool and fun, not a simulation of how it would look in real life.

As for your other suggestions, they're a bit too big of a stretch for me to consider them. Sorry.

Cowabungaa said:
You could dive into old CRPG classics you can get on GoG.com if you can set aside your wish for real-time stuff, though it's turn-based combat that's nowhere near something like Final Fantasy. Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Fallout, and even slightly newer ones like Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines which even has real-time combat. And you can always look at the newer members of that genre, like Pillars Of Eternity (which you can play real-time), Torment: Tides Of Numenera, that kind of thing. There's a lot of quality questing material in those games, lots to explore, all that jazz.

And if you want to get real old-school (kind of) you could even download Dwarf Fortress for free and dive into the Adventure Mode.
I'm not really into isometric RPGs. I tried giving them a chance, but they're just not my thing.

As for Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines, I tried giving it a chance, but it just felt too clunky. The farthest I've ever gotten to in this game was the haunted mansion quest, but then I just gave up because I got tired of the floaty combat and my character sliding around while running, as if everything was covered in ice.

Dalsyne said:
So... you want another Skyrim.
"Another Oblivion" would be more fitting, to be honest. It struck a perfect balance between the simplicity of an action game, and an RPG's dependence on the stats - you had to pick your skillset and you could only become good at those particular skills. It irked me how in Skyrim you started out with a tabula rasa and could become a literal god by level 20.

Dalsyne said:
Have you tried the Risen games? Shadow of Mordor might work too, it's very Assasin's Creedy.
Already played and completed Risen 1. Didn't bother with 2 and 3 because I've heard they aren't worth playing.

Played Shadow of Mordor, too, but I didn't find it too fun, to be quite honest. All it had going for it was that random enemy generator, but it lost its charm pretty quickly. Me not giving a fuck about the LOTR universe didn't help the game either.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
BaldursGateTemple said:
I think I know a game you may enjoy, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. It's on everything except current gen. It's a mix of Fable and Elder Scrolls that I think you'll enjoy. The world atmosphere is amazing as well.
Actually, KoA is exactly what I don't want. It has literally every problem I have with modern open world games - the world is very MMO-ey, bland and soulless, the quest variety is low, and there isn't much to do apart from walking around and killing monsters.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
ninja666 said:
Mike Richards said:
Consider this recommendation coming with some significant caveats but all the more obvious answers were already covered. You might want to look into Pathologic.
I remember trying to play it a few years ago. It didn't go well. Literally nothing could render properly on my hardware because it was too new (and therefore incompatible) - the grass was missing, the models were glitchy and flickery, the draw distance was absolutely fucked etc.

I've heard there was a remake for modern systems in the making, but I didn't really kept an eye on it. Has it been released yet?
Yeah, the full remake is still inbound. As far as we know it's still on track for fall this year. It looks like it's gonna have a lot of rebalancing and usability changes so I can't say I'd blame you in the slightest for skipping the original and just waiting for that.

They actually recently released a sort of demo that I haven't had the chance to fully check out yet. It's only sort of a demo cause apparently it's more of a short side story that won't be in the main game, and they fully acknowledge it isn't using a final build so it won't be quite as stable as the finished release. But if you wanna get any idea of what you'd be in for without just picking up the HD remaster of the original, that'd probably be the best place to start.

Malpraxis

Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
Jul 30, 2013
Actually, as someone who has played all the Gothic/Risen games, I consider the first Risen to be the simplest of the 3. Then again it may be nostalgia for that clunky Gothic combat, but I found both 2 and 3 very entertaining. You can get them for very cheap, and they run on your machine. Don't believe what "they" say.

Then again I'm on the camp that went into No Man's Sky knowing exactly what it was, and enjoyed it for it, instead of whining about wasted potential and unfulfilled promises, because I never had the chance to board that hype train.

Oh, and if you are a bit tech savvy you can run the older Elder Scrolls Games on your machine. I know I had a blast with them back in the day.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is what you want to play but it's not on PC.

Clear some space or buy another HDD and get The Witcher 3.

Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age Inquisition...you probably don't have the space for either.

Based purely on the title (and not the other criteria you said in OP) then I have several recommendations.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Witness
RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition
Obduction
The Talos Principle

All of these are games where you're put into an unknown, interesting (reasonably open) world that you explore but instead of combat, it's puzzle-solving. Maybe try one of them out and see? They range between 2 to 10GB in size (I highly doubt your PC would run Obduction though). I would recommend RealMyst first. It's a remaster of a very old game so it should easily run on your PC, has a small file-size (2.5GB) and isn't too expensive (in case you hate it).

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Surprised no one said anything about this one..
I'll keep it short. Looking for a good atmosphere? Wanna get yourself immersed? Also survive? This is it then. The game at release will offer 2 modes. The story mode and the sandbox.

Right now the game is in early access but it's about to leave. In a few days we'll get a patch that will add the last remaining content as far as the sandbox mode goes and later at release we'll get the story.

I highly recommend. Considering the price and what it offers you can't really go wrong if you're looking for a world to jump in.

Unless of course you hate snow, in that case forget everything I just said.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
It's a bit of a crapshot, but take a look at Divinity: Dragon Knight Saga. Cheap as hell nowadays, starts out pretty generic but 5 minutes in you get the ability to turn into a Dragon. From them on it becomes quite unlike any action game from that time. It's also prone to being hilarious at the most wrong moments.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
ninja666 said:
Lufia Erim said:
I knw this will cause some PTSD on some people but how about No Mans Sky? If you are unaure check out its reddit page
Isn't this game pretty much just a walking simulator, with literally nothing to do apart from that?
Correct on it having nothing to do, wrong on thinking that it simulates anything.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Huh, didn't expect the thread to still be going, especially after 4 days of silence. Good thing that it still does because it turns out I'm actually in need of more suggestions.

In the meantime I got myself a copy of Darksiders 2, and it turned out to be not what I was after. Don't get me wrong - in general I'd say it's a good game, and one clearly very inspired by Zelda, but turns out the creators seemed to be so enamored with the adventures of our androgynous elf boy in green, they decided to put every design choice from that series into their game, including the terrible ones, such as a very small, barren world map, with literally nothing of note on it apart from the main dungeons, and literally every sidequest being exclusively of "bring me this" or "kill that" variety, making it the exact opposite of what I wanted in that regard.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to try Two Worlds because my disc of it was too scratched up to work, and I don't really feel like rebuying it, especially since the overall game is... well... not good. Infamously so, even. So if I'm to spend any more money, I have to make sure it gets spent on something that's objectively good.

Now onto the posts themselves.

pearcinator said:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is what you want to play but it's not on PC.
Thank you, Captain Obvious. How did you figure all of this out? Well, maybe at least you have some useful suggestions...

pearcinator said:
Clear some space or buy another HDD and get The Witcher 3.

Dragon Age: Origins or Dragon Age Inquisition...you probably don't have the space for either.

Based purely on the title (and not the other criteria you said in OP) then I have several recommendations.
No, you don't... Okay, next.

Valok said:
I'll keep it short. Looking for a good atmosphere?
Yes.

Valok said:
Wanna get yourself immersed?
Yes. Very much so.

Valok said:
Also survive?
No, not really. I want to roam around, explore interesting locations, kill monsters, and find cool treasures.

Alma Mare said:
It's a bit of a crapshot, but take a look at Divinity: Dragon Knight Saga.
I got it recommended in a few other places. I thought it was the game I was looking for, since it seemed to fit perfectly in every regard, but turns out it isn't, unfortunately. Why? Because it's not open world in a sandbox sense, and instead does the same thing Witcher 1 & 2 do, where every chapter takes place in a small, semi-open hub area, and while you can go off free-roaming and questing, the game doesn't offer much in terms of exploration.

9tailedflame said:
Planet explorers is worth trying. It's kindof like minecraft.
Checked it out. I don't meet the minimum requirements, unfortunately - it requires more RAM than I have on board. If it was CPU or GPU, I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest since those two are always blown out of proportion in the system requirements, but I tried running games I didn't have enough RAM for a few times, and it never ended well - the game was constantly freezing and the load times took forever. So yeah, not gonna risk it.

josemlopes said:
Dragons Dogma is good
In terms of open world exploration? No, it isn't. Not in the slightest. The game world consists only of one town, one city, and a few major dungeons the game sends you to constantly. The rest of the map that's inbetween those is just empty fields of grass and some random trees.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Well, I am sorry that you're so picky. There have been dozens of excellent suggestions made for you but you reject all of them.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
pearcinator said:
Well, I am sorry that you're so picky. There have been dozens of excellent suggestions made for you but you reject all of them.
That's because I know precisely what kind of thing I'm after and I'm not undecided in the slightest in that regard, so basically, nothing short of a game that fits that vision pretty much perfectly will satisfy me. I'm willing to cut some corners, sure, but at the same time I don't want to stray too far from what I wanted initially. That's just how I am.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
ninja666 said:
pearcinator said:
That's because I know exactly what kind of thing I'm after and basically, nothing short of a game that fits pretty much perfectly will satisfy me. That's just how I am.
Why not play Runescape?

It's free (until you make your account a member), uses up little space, can run on a potato, has a variety of quests, can be played solo (especially if you make an Ironman account). It's very grindy though so that might turn you off of it but by the time you complete all the free quests it would use up some time.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
pearcinator said:
Why not play Runescape?

It's free (until you make your account a member), uses up little space, can run on a potato, has a variety of quests, can be played solo (especially if you make an Ironman account). It's very grindy though so that might turn you off of it but by the time you complete all the free quests it would use up some time.
Because it's an MMO, and I don't like MMOs. They all are basically the same - tons of grinding, fetch quests, bland, uninteresting locations, and an evergoing pissing contest over who has the better equipment.