I want to play a Fable game!

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Been hearing about these games for some time now, so I decided to give one of them a shot. Since I love the whole open world, free to do whatever you want thing since it makes games last longer. I just do not know which one to start off with. Do not really care about the story, and I did a little research on 2 and 3. Watched a few Fable 3 play throughs and it looks fun as hell. While Fable 2 seems to share the same humor as Overlord 1 or 2.

What do you guys recommend?

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
I'd recommend playing Fable: The Lost Chapters first, but if that's not up your alley, I'd go with Fable 2. Fable 3 tries to streamline too much, and ends up making a mess of things (for example, in Fable 1&2 you actually get to choose how you interact with people, while in Fable 3 you don't have a choice, it's the interaction the game wants you to do and nothing else).

The combat in Fable 3 is also very annoying, with the camera going for slow-motion critical kills at random, and the enemies are able to hit you while it happens. At least in 2 those slow-motion moments only happened for the last kill, I think.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Fable or it's expansion Fable: The Lost Chapters is undoubtedly considered to be the "best" one. It just feels more like a game that has a soul than the other two. Fable II was ok at best, nothing great, but nothing bad, either. Give Fable III a pass, however. You'll only be disappointed if you don't.

Go with the original Fable, you'll enjoy yourself immensely.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Pretty much what the other posters said.

The original ALL the way. Havent tried 2 so I cant say much about it but it seems like it is average... and 3 is just plain not good (Besides the fact that why would you start with the 3rd game in a series of games is beyond me).

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Fable as a series was always a victim of it's own hype, and each game received a notable amount of hate... Fable 3 is the only one I feel deserves it.

I recommend the first, it's a fantastic game... Perhaps it's dulled over time, maybe.
Fable 2 is decent, better in some ways, but as a whole I don't rate it as highly.
Fable 3 is nigh-complete shit. Unfinished, even-more-boringly easy and with a story that is broken by the game's own mechanics. There is a single good moment in the entire game, if taken out of context, which is a main quest towards the end. I has a great atmosphere, sets up a villain quite well... before immediately proceeding to ruin it.

Sep 14, 2009
fable (including the lost chapters, which is included in every digital purchase i think these days) is by far the best one, fable 2 is alright, nothing to shout about positively or negatively, but fable 3 is quite awful to be honest...it might've been alright if it came out 10 years earlier, but it's pretty garbage by the standards it came out on, especially compared to 1 and 2.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I will also say that Fable: The Lost Chapters is the best in the series.

HOWEVER, depending on how much of a rush you're in to play a Fable game, I dunno if I would recommend buying it.

Because you've got Fable Anniversary, which is the great big HD Remake of the first one, which is supposed to come out I believe February 4th.

So if you'd like you could use that time to play 2 and 3 (2 has a fair amount of charm to it, but I did find 3 boring and still haven't finished it)

But yeah, overall the first one really is the most fun. Whether you go for The Lost Chapters or Anniversary, I do highly recommend playing the first one at some point.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
PrimitiveJudge said:
Well I ended up buying Fable 2 and 3 at gamestop for 6 bucks together.
Fable 2 is okay, Fable 3 was kinda meh.
As others have been saying though, Fable: The Lost Chapters is your best bet because that's the best one.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'd say either Fable:Lost Chapters (as it's the definitive version of the first game) or Fable 2.

I personally like Fable 2 more for the bigger feeling world, more interesting characters (Hammer in particular) and character customization.

I like how they did the armor in the game, being that it's a value that stands aside from whatever you have equipped. This way you can wear that cool looking whatever-it-is while not having to sacrifice armor points.

You should know, none of the games are very hard, and that was never the intent to begin with. So if easy game play turns you off, you may end up hating both despite all the other parts.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Yeah no.......... Fable 3 is definitely not fun as hell, awfully horrible game it is. The first one is pretty decent so play that.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Oh god... you want to willingly step into that? Because that series has been the epitome of disappointment for young-me.

Well, I guess you at least can come into this without the built-up expectations that Peter Molyneux plants in people.
Start with the Lost Chapter version of the first one, it's probably the best both mechanically and story-wise.

The second one is the one I hate most. It is so incredibly vile. It doesn't give a rats ass about logic or roleplaying or choice and has probably the two WORST creator pets in existence, not to mention how carelessly they treat the dog - you just don't build up any relationship with it. Just avoid it, you won't miss much. Mechanically, it is incredibly broken since any ranged-magic hybrid style essentially wins you the game.

The third at least fixes a bit of that, making fights a bit better. Storywise I actually liked it more than 2. A lot more. Maybe just because it has a clever twist. That twist is horribly executed from a mechanics standpoint, but at least it sort of makes sense and is built around your character instead of the creators favourites. And it kinda handles the dog part better - i.e. you actually might feel something for the guy.

So, overall, my advice is to start with one, skip two and then take three.
I do advise you to crank up the difficulty though - only the first one can be a challenge, and even then only because of how clunky it is at times. I think I have never even once seen a game over screen or had to use a Vial of Resurrection in any of the Fable games.

Feb 22, 2009
Wait until Fable Anniversary comes out, it's a remake of the first game (and expansion pack, the Lost Chapters), which is definitely the best one. Alternatively, just get the Lost Chapters if you're impatient/want to spend less (it includes the original game, you don't have to get both).

The second and third games are kind of... fun, but SERIOUSLY flawed. Especially the endings. I'd stick with the first in some form or other, if I were you.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'd go with Fable I and II, I was okay but II was my absolute favourite and 3 was kinda okay at best but it wasn't anything awful.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
PrimitiveJudge said:
Been hearing about these games for some time now, so I decided to give one of them a shot. Since I love the whole open world, free to do whatever you want thing since it makes games last longer. I just do not know which one to start off with. Do not really care about the story, and I did a little research on 2 and 3. Watched a few Fable 3 play throughs and it looks fun as hell. While Fable 2 seems to share the same humor as Overlord 1 or 2.

What do you guys recommend?
You'll be highly disappointed, the first one was great (as was it's expansion) so I would wait for the HD version they're working on. Fable 2 and 3 became more and more simplified, dropping bosses, weapons and customization with each release; they even got rid of game overs. Fable 2 and 3 didn't matter if you died, you just got back up with a cosmetic scar (fable 2) or lose experience you were yet to collect (fable 3).

The fable series if probably one of the most disappointing series of the last console generation, play the first one and none of the others; you'd be better off.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Fablr 1 (Including The Lost Chapters) is a pretty decent game, but I always found Fable 2 to blow the first out of the water. The only problem I ever had with that game was the lack of a mini-map in the corner of the screen. When I first played the game, I spent a lot of time following the golden trail (Which is the equivalent of a destination marker), but then I decided to do nothing but solidly explore the world. Now I can get around no trouble. It's an amazing game with a massive world and a tonne of things to do. Each to their own, but in the series run so far, I still think it's the best. Also, you can get a dog.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
OK, you guys know why Fable 3 was bad? It was given about year of dev time. Seriously, look it up.

Anyway, yeah just start with Fable: TLC and then 2. Despite what a lot of people say, Fable 2 really isn't half-bad. It will start slow but if you keep with it, you'll find yourself getting sucked in more and more.