I wanted to play a themed character in Dark Souls II, but all the Reapers suck :(

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I've been binging a lot of Dark Souls II lately. I think I've sunk around twice the amount of hours into it than DS1, which is kind of odd considering how vastly inferior the second one is in comparison. But whatever.

I started a new character with a specific theme in mind. The idea was basically to be the Grim Reaper: Black Robes, Dark Mask for that skull face, lots of Dark magic, and most vitally, using Reaper weapons. But then I hit a roadblock. The Reaper weapons absolutely suck at PvE. The spacing has to be exactly right for them to inflict any damage, they have no crowd control whatsoever, movesets seem very limited and ineffective, and the damage is mediocre at best. This makes me really frustrated, since the melee weapon was perhaps the most defining feature of playing as the character. I've been using the Morning Star, but it feels like too blunt a weapon for the Harvester of Souls.

I don't really know how much discussion value there is to be had here. Are there any other suitable weapons for trying to be Death Incarnate? The scythe is such an iconic part of death's depiction in western mythology that I can't really think of many that would fit the bill, and actually be worth two shits in gameplay terms. Any ideas are appreciated.

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
Best I can think of is using the Bone Fists for the "touch of death" approach.You do need the Ivory King DLC for it though, and it isn't a weapon I've actually experimented with so unsure how effective it is. It also isn't exactly a weapon one has the stats for early game... Still, maybe?

In any case, I wish you luck!

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
a twinblade perhaps?
Would make you more of a Ninja Reaper :)
Or Santiers, falls kind of in the middle. Not that I endorse using that thing.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
You could farm the Crypt Keepers near Agdayne for a Silverblack Sickle.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Silverblack+Sickle

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Another reaper character, huh? Got a real edgelord here (I joke). I guess if you want to keep the whole reaper aesthetic with a weapon that's still useful you could try the Roaring Halberd. There's also the Scythe (halberd) and the Crypt Blacksword, which is basically a giant tombstone attached to a handle.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Roaring+Halberd
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Scythe
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Crypt+Blacksword

Also, vastly inferior? You have to at least give it credit as far as combat and pvp tweaks are concerned (except soul memory). Not to mention power stancing and finally making fist-fighting a viable option.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Gottesstrafe said:
Also, vastly inferior? You have to at least give it credit as far as combat and pvp tweaks are concerned (except soul memory). Not to mention power stancing and finally making fist-fighting a viable option.
Yes, those are big improvements. However, I'm not that much into PvP to be honest. DSII is more refined in gameplay and online features, but in terms of story, atmosphere, level design, environments, enemies and boss fights it's leagues below the first.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
bartholen said:
Yes, those are big improvements. However, I'm not that much into PvP to be honest. DSII is more refined in gameplay and online features, but in terms of story, atmosphere, level design, environments, enemies and boss fights it's leagues below the first.
Yes, because you can't two-shot every boss in the last part of the game with dark bead, the fights are just terrible. Did you even play the DLC?

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
StreamerDarkly said:
bartholen said:
Yes, because you can't two-shot every boss in the last part of the game with dark bead, the fights are just terrible. Did you even play the DLC?
Yes I did. The boss fights are better there than in the main game, I'd say about 50/50 between interesting and 'meh' fights. Sunken King had a more aggressive Nashandra, a big-ass dragon (which I admit is pretty awesome) and... three Dudes in Armor. Iron King had a Dude in Armor, another Dude in Armor, and a recycled, buffed boss from the main game. Ivory King had a sabretooth cat, SEVERAL Dudes in Armor, and two Sabretooth cats (which IMO is the most insufferable fight in the whole game). In my book those aren't quite up there with the likes of Quelaag, Snorlax and Pikachu, the Four Kings or Manus. When I say boss fights, I'm not just talking about gameplay terms, but also how visually striking and memorable they are.

And btw, I've never used dark magic in DS1, because I've only played the DLC once, with a miracle/rapier build.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Scythe of want is the most obvious choice though you have to beat the final boss to get it so you will have to wait till NG+ to complete your character. You could also use the silverblack sickle from what's-his-face in the crypt though I've never used that one.

Mental Cosmas said:
Best I can think of is using the Bone Fists for the "touch of death" approach.You do need the Ivory King DLC for it though, and it isn't a weapon I've actually experimented with so unsure how effective it is. It also isn't exactly a weapon one has the stats for early game... Still, maybe?

In any case, I wish you luck!
The bone fist aren't bad one you get use to them, but you won't get one till late, they have a pretty step stat requirement to duel wield and you really need 2 to make it look right which requires you to beat the DLC twice. Still I had a lot fun dressing my character like Mad Max reject and hadoukening everything.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Dude, a dark infused- dark weapon buffed roaring halberd is one of the most powerful weapons in the game. Get you one. It's even got a skull on it, not exactly a scythe, but it's a bladed scepter of death.

I've used a bleeding forlorn scythe with some decent results in pvp. Don't know how well it'd do in pve though. Probably fine, I think I've played the pve too much because I could probably sleepwalk through it at this point, easy as it is.

Edit: considering bleed scales with dex and it sounds like you're running a hexer build with min stats for weapons, forlorn scythe is probably a bad idea.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
bartholen said:
Gottesstrafe said:
Improved gameplay is still a pretty big concession to throw under the bus when we're dealing with video games. Granted I too preferred the story, environments and level design, boss fights, etc. of its predecessor, but DS2 made it a lot more fun experimenting with combat using different equipment and stat builds on the same character. Hopefully FromSoft will combine the best of both worlds by the time DS3 is released.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Well such is the fate of fashion souls characters.
Unless you want to play "greatsword knight guy". Then you got a zillion choices viable for everything.