I would like to present to you, Escapist, what many are calling "the worst anime of all time".

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I'm sorry, but it's not Naruto, so your thread is false.

I actually know nothing about this type of stuff, but I was told to use that joke if this ever came up
I don't actually know what it means
Naruto is basically the joke answer for bad anime. The art in this one is absolutely horrible, whereas Naruto only has the occasional QUALITY that other anime has. When you make a 22 minute episode every week you're bound to make mistakes like this

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
First off, thank you for that first video OP, I was depressed about exams coming up and having to start revision and that video made my day as I haven't laughed that hard in awhile so thank you

OT: For me, it's hard to say if it's the worst anime ever as I never really read the manga and after seeing the impressions of people from that trainwreck of a first episode, I probably won't watch the anime either, but after looking into it I can at least agree that it's probably one of the worst anime out there. But of course there is much worse anime out there *cough* School Days *unconvincing cough*

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
How bad can the anime be?...

(watches clip)

OH GOD kill it with fire! Kill it with fire!!!!

Edit: Also is anyone else watching Attack on Titan, Valvrave the Liberator, and Suisei no Gargantia?

At least we get some good anime this run besides Oreimo 2!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Sacman said:
Honestly from everything that I've seen and heard, it more or less comes down to, because it's different... and it doesn;t exhume "Anime" from every pour...<.<
I don't know...

Tell me what these are and please tell me that they are films, because that looks gorgeous. It looks like the sort of anime you wouldn't be able to tell was one at first glance, and only after somebody told you that it was woudl you look for the visual quirks.

As for worst anime? There are plenty worse, like Kodomo No Jikan (Thanks a fucking lot for that TvTropes), or Elfen Lied.
The first one is a short film called Cannon Fodder. It's part of the feature Memories which also contains Magnetic Rose and Stink Bomb. You should check out all three of them, they're fantastic.

The second is a very obscure movie called A Tree of Palme. Couldn't quite tell you what it's about though, I only saw it once and it's really... odd. Not so much creepy or disturbing odd, but odd in the sense that everything about it feels completely otherworldly.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
kailus13 said:
Naruto is basically the joke answer for bad anime. The art in this one is absolutely horrible, whereas Naruto only has the occasional QUALITY that other anime has. When you make a 22 minute episode every week you're bound to make mistakes like this
It's not just the mistakes but also a jarring lack of details. As you said it's quality/quantity issue, the episodes are so heavily mass-produced that a lot of the time (especially during fight scenes) most of details are gone, all forms of shading/shadows, creasing, textures, etc vanish. Colors are also really washed-out.

It's like they used the paint bucket tool in MS Paint (I wish I was exaggerating), I mean look at this...

Also the framerate REALLY chugs, I know anime is usually around ~15 fps but I swear a lot of the fights come down to around ~7-10 fps which looks like a slide show.

Urgh, this is why I prefer shorter anime which have a definite ending, because then the animators can work with a specific budget and pour maximum quality into the anime as opposed to something like Naruto/Bleach which go on indefinitely (on top of HUNDREDS of filler episodes, lol).

RadioactiveMicrobe

Mar 1, 2009
Uhh, wow. I was going to say to stop being so stingy on style and how I liked the style based on a few still I saw, but uhh. Wow.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
lol I was just about to watch what they've released of Aku no Hana so far. The first episode is literally paused in VLC right now.

I very much doubt it will be the worst anime I've seen, but I'm still going to give it a try.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
It seems like people have never seen Boku No Pico. Even the intent of this OVAs is something to be disgusted at and then theres the animation, the designs, the voice acting and well...the plot. (Please don't google this if you're not over 18 years old, i am serious)

I don't particularly like Aku No Hana the manga, but yeah...the anime didn't click for me either.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
kajinking said:
How bad can the anime be?...

(watches clip)

OH GOD kill it with fire! Kill it with fire!!!!

Edit: Also is anyone else watching Attack on Titan, Valvrave the Liberator, and Suisei no Gargantia?

At least we get some good anime this run besides Oreimo 2!
Attack on Titan is fucking amazing. I actually ended up reading the manga, which I will say the art is... Interesting at time, sometimes it can be painfully bad but it got a lot better as the series went on. Story is great though.

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
Not quite the worst anime ever; that title seems more fitting for something like School Days, Garzey's Wing, or any of the glut of plotless, fanservice-focused shows that somehow get licensed in the west (Ikki Tousen, Master of Martial Hearts, Queen's Blade, etc.). It's not even the worst-looking anime ever, since Musashi Gundoh and Aim for the Ace exist. But, at least Musashi Gundoh, Aim for the Ace, and the dub of Garzey's Wing can be considered so bad their good. This is just...shit.

I'm just curious as to why this looks like absolute ass and stuff like A Scanner Darkly, Ralph Bakshi's films and even music videos such as the ones for a-ha's "Take On Me" and Linkin Park's "Breaking the Habit" look great.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
MasterMasamune said:
Not quite the worst anime ever; that title seems more fitting for something like School Days, Garzey's Wing, or any of the glut of plotless, fanservice-focused shows that somehow get licensed in the west (Ikki Tousen, Master of Martial Hearts, Queen's Blade, etc.). It's not even the worst-looking anime ever, since Musashi Gundoh and Aim for the Ace exist. But, at least Musashi Gundoh, Aim for the Ace, and the dub of Garzey's Wing can be considered so bad their good. This is just...shit.

I'm just curious as to why this looks like absolute ass and stuff like A Scanner Darkly, Ralph Bakshi's films and even music videos such as the ones for a-ha's "Take On Me" and Linkin Park's "Breaking the Habit" look great.
Because this is not a really well done rotoscoping as far as i can tell.
My major problem that i have with this animation is that theres too much 'static' expressions, and the fact that more than once the faces dissapear completly.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Casual Shinji said:
Sacman said:
Honestly from everything that I've seen and heard, it more or less comes down to, because it's different... and it doesn;t exhume "Anime" from every pour...<.<
I don't know...

Tell me what these are and please tell me that they are films, because that looks gorgeous. It looks like the sort of anime you wouldn't be able to tell was one at first glance, and only after somebody told you that it was woudl you look for the visual quirks.

As for worst anime? There are plenty worse, like Kodomo No Jikan (Thanks a fucking lot for that TvTropes), or Elfen Lied.
Cannon Fodder I believe, don't know anything about it though

And didn't tv tropes take down kodomo no jikan?

edit: my bad, someone already answered your question

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
l3o2828 said:
MasterMasamune said:

Because this is not a really well done rotoscoping as far as i can tell.
My major problem that i have with this animation is that theres too much 'static' expressions, and the fact that more than once the faces dissapear completly.
Yeah, and sometimes the faces just plain aren't there, mostly when the characters are at a distance from the camera.

This seems to be an attempt to blend rotoscoping with the usual look for an anime like this, but it just doesn't work. The faces have little to no detail, there's very little shading, if any, and each shape is just one solid color like it was all colored with the fill tool in MS Paint. In fact, some things, like the girls' ties, are all one figure, which actually makes it look like they were deliberately drawn that way because that's how it was colored. It all just looks incredibly amateurish and unfinished.

Weatherking

Jul 21, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o3pNsGAfIEk#t=100s

Now I have been known to enjoy some of that "japanimation" every once in a while, but this is always the thing that comes to mind when talking about anime. Because it's so great :D

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
I can see it now:
People who love it will be all "you guys just don't understand maaaan, just cuz it doesn't have titties and panty shots alongside huge fight scenes doesn't mean it sucks!"

It's how it always turns out to be. After all, there has to be SOMEone who appreciates stuff like this and Metal Machine Music unironically

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
RoonMian said:
This reminds me a little of the animation style in Richard Linklater's concept movie "Waking Life" where the traditionally filmed actors where then frame by frame drawn over. It was hailed as radical, advanced, a breakthrough...

I would laugh my ass off if the makers of that anime were gunning for that, failed and now are wondering why no one is "getting it." XD
Oh, so like a Scanner Darkly? I loved a Scanner Darkly, that looks decent but man... A Scanner Darkly was something... Wow, I just lost so much art-cred, didn't I?

OT: As someone who as watched 3 anime movies... 2 of which were Dragon Ball Z things, one might have just been 2 episodes,I can honestly say that Aku No Hana, or whatever it's called, I forget, is the worst. From those 30 seconds of footage.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I actually kind of enjoyed it in a weird way. The animation is weird and sits firmly in the uncanny valley,but it works to it's advantage. The manga was trying for this icky vibe and the look adds to it.Also they do keep stay spot on with the chracters and the overall vibe is very nasty. Does that excuse the random lack of faces,not really. Outside of that the only really bad thing is some pretty amateurish voice acting.I liked that it tried something different it's just not that great.Hardly the worst(to me Kampfer will remain the worst I've ever seen)more average with a weird look.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Jesus Christo...

I think this what most people call "uncanny valley" isn't it? It's so... ugh....

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Am I the only one that kind of likes what they were aiming for? I think it would have looked really cool if they had had the budget to do something better than (what appears to be all of) five FPS. The random lack of faces kind of reminds me of old video games, specifically Out of This World and Sega CD FMV games.

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
When I saw the first episode, after I got over the odd animation style, I did not find it all that bad. It is a bit slow, but I am not bugged by that. Plus, with all of the detail that is put into the backgrounds, like tiny reflections and various signs, you could tell the animators really cared about it. I do not feel from what I have seen that it is the worst anime, definitely not the worst I have seen, and I don't feel that it is bad either. In fact, I think I may finish it once all the episodes air.