I would like to present to you, Escapist, what many are calling "the worst anime of all time".

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
Well, I watched some of it and I actually was intrigued. As for the animation, I hate to say, but it is a bit of fresh air to not see the stereotypical white, big eyed, colorful hair characters. I'm not saying it is great animation, but I am relieved to see something that looks different. It kind of reminds me of Serial Experiments Lain which loved resuing shots, had animation that could be very off putting, so maybe that is why I'm not as bothered. I will probably watch a bit more as I think that sociopath girl could be quite interesting (the almost-emootionless scheming manipulators are my favorite kind of characters to read and write).

I guess I'm getting too old where I'd rather watch more slow psychological stuff over action or slapstick.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Kind of reminds me of A Scanner Darkly, except A Scanner Darkly was actually good.
The animation definately goes well with Take On Me, kind of wish that video was long.

That reminds me, I'm literally half way through 4 anime series. I should watch some of those.
Can't wait until Saint Young Men comes out.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.
Thanks, I just googled that without incognito mode or anything.
Jesus christ what the fuck was that.
Yeah, you should generally stay away from animes that have "no" in the middle of the title. :)

Except for Peter Pan no Bouken. That's a cool show.
But "no" is just a partical that acts similary to "of" or "'s" in English. It just shows possession or that something is from something
For example I could say: Boku wa Escapist NO Triggr desu. Which just means that "I'm Triggr from the Escapist."
Or, Kore wa boku no inu desu. Which means "That is my dog."
(My japanese kind of sucks, but thats the gist of it.)

But you'd also miss out on Midori No Hibi; although, I could see where it gets to suggestive for some people.

nicetomeetkita

Jan 30, 2012
I thought fo sho this was going to be about School Days, which is the last anime I heard about that incited such visceral hatred in viewers.

But I have not seen this Aku no Hana, so I must go off to watch some trailers and return with my verdict.
I've seen some wonky animation styles lately; I think it's just sort of a trend to win points for originality and differentiate them from similar series since there are so many that fly under the radar.

Saraiya Goyou comes to mind, although that was not so much the animation as the character drawings. And Gankutsuou, goodness gracious - it took me a while to get used to that animation style with the weird not-moving textures on moving objects and ugh.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
Mr Binary said:
It's clearly not a good anime, but it's far from the worse. I think I'm going to just leave this here.

Disclaimer for language and implied scenes.
Yep... That right there would be the single most messed up piece of media I have consumed in a while, and i just got done reading a play for class whose main plot revolves around a man knocking up his sister,marying her off, killing her (and the unborn incest baby), cutting out her heart, and then presenting it to her husband, in front of his father. Then the husband has bandits murder his wife's entire family at the dinner table.

and that was tame compared to that unspeakable horror.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well now, I'm generally curious about the manga, so I'm going to give that a read.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
triggrhappy94 said:
Casual Shinji said:
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.
Thanks, I just googled that without incognito mode or anything.
Jesus christ what the fuck was that.
Yeah, you should generally stay away from animes that have "no" in the middle of the title. :)

Except for Peter Pan no Bouken. That's a cool show.
But "no" is just a partical that acts similary to "of" or "'s" in English. It just shows possession or that something is from something
For example I could say: Boku wa Escapist NO Triggr desu. Which just means that "I'm Triggr from the Escapist."
Or, Kore wa boku no inu desu. Which means "That is my dog."
(My japanese kind of sucks, but thats the gist of it.)

But you'd also miss out on Midori No Hibi; although, I could see where it gets to suggestive for some people.
Ya I know, it was just kind of a joke. :p

With rather infamous shows like Kodoma no Jikan and the even more revoltingly infamous Boku no Pico, you start to seriously consider taking that "NO" literal. No, just... NOOOO!

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
I'm not really an "anime fan," but uh... based on the trailer and this [http://io9.com/the-new-anime-series-you-absolutely-need-to-be-watching-472686117] preview writeup:
Flowers of Evil is the most interesting anime of the spring season for several reasons. First, its storytelling is ponderously slow, but somehow incredibly tense. The first episode features a detached high school student named Takao who has a crush on a schoolmate named Nanako but chooses to lose himself in Baudelaire?s classic Flowers of Evil; eventually he?s publicly humiliated by another girl, and something inside Takao changes into something dark and menacing. That?s it. That's the whole first episode. The second thing that makes Flowers so different is that it's rotoscoped, meaning it was filmed in live-action and then drawn over, so not only it animated differently than most anime, it looks completely different too. It?s actually kind of ugly ? many Japanese anime fans actually actively loathe it ? but its ugliness is fascinating, and sets the series? slow, somber tones perfectly. Flowers of Evil definitely isn?t going to be for everyone, but it?s almost certainly going to be the most famous (or infamous) anime of 2013. Flowers of Evil is currently streaming on Crunchyroll.
I gotta say I'm actually really intrigued. The complaints seems to boil down to "It's ugly" and "It's boring," but next to another "zany" comedy, a bunch of giant robot shows obsessed with 3D/CGI, and a remake of a 60s sci fi show... honestly this seems like the only one of the lot that actually has the potential to do something interesting. The rotoscoping doesn't bother me (and actually the overall look kinda reminds me of Boogiepop Phantom.)

I dunno what it's actually about, so I'll prolly just wait until there are more episodes, but yeah. I don't agree with the complaint videos.

Also, another vote for School Days as worst anime ever.

Edit:
Lugbzurg said:
Worst animé ever? I dunno... Have you heard of [...] Sailor Moon?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
It definitely looks, uh... Interesting. I'd be tempted to watch it out of interest in seeing just how bad the animation can get but given from what I've read of the content, I definitely don't see it being something I'd want to get invested in. From what I've read it kind of sounds like bland Slice of Life action without the quirk of Lucky Star or the fun characters of Azumanga Daioh with an added sauce of sexual assault.

Call me a philistine, but I like my Anime to have something interesting that I want to see no matter how ludicrous.

Mr Binary said:
It's clearly not a good anime, but it's far from the worse. I think I'm going to just leave this here.

Disclaimer for language and implied scenes.
This just made my day!

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
bananafishtoday said:
Lugbzurg said:
Worst animé ever? I dunno... Have you heard of [...] Sailor Moon?
There are people who hate Sailor Moon? What heresy is this?

It is time to employ the Iron Maiden. Bring them to the dungeon, they will profess worship to the lord our goddess and repent!

In the name of the moon, I will punish you!