I would like to thank players with accessibility issues...

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
...for making QTEs an optional thing. Know that, through your plight, you've made the world a slightly better place. Which, these days, is more than most people can boast about. Not actually a joke, seriously thank you. It was my most hated gameplay mechanic.

Now...any chance you lot could do the same for micro-transactions and always online nonsense? This is a joke though...unless?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
...for making QTEs an optional thing. Know that, through your plight, you've made the world a slightly better place. Which, these days, is more than most people can boast about. Not actually a joke, seriously thank you. It was my most hated gameplay mechanic.
What probably helps in addition, are many of those without accessibility issues or non-handicapped complained loudly about QTEs as well. Insta-death QTEs pretty much died around the mid 2010s. The most you get nowadays are action command from most games.

Now...any chance you lot could do the same for micro-transactions and always online nonsense? This is a joke though...unless?
I don't bother most AAA games; especially on the Western end. Most of my library is either Indie or AA for a good reason. A fairer price and way less likely to get dicked over for being a paying customer. I suggest you do the same or what best works for you.

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
What probably helps in addition, are many of those without accessibility issues or non-handicapped complained loudly about QTEs as well. Insta-death QTEs pretty much died around the mid 2010s. The most you get nowadays are action command from most games.

I don't bother most AAA games; especially on the Western end. Most of my library is either Indie or AA for a good reason. A fairer price and way less likely to get dicked over for being a paying customer. I suggest you do the same or what best works for you.
Tomb Raider reboot was the most notorious example I can think of and the one that really made people angry about them. Which was mid '10 so I guess you're right there.

I'm what's now dubbed as "patient gamer". Haven't really got the time to play everything these days so getting a Super Duper ThisTimeForReal Complete Edition of a AAA game for 15 euros a year after release is alright for me. Let those who fall to FOMO finance the industry. I'm done with it.

Would Annapurna and Devolver be considered AA? In which case, I agree there as well. Not so much in the indy sphere though. I find the games there to be worth as infrequently as AAA titles. Games such as Hollow Knight, Deep Rock Galactic, or Dorfromantik are gems in a sea of generic platformers and games about depression.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Let those who fall to FOMO finance the industry. I'm done with it.
I'm not going to throw too much shade on people with addictive tendencies that keep getting exploited and manipulated. The same goes for kids and teenagers as well. Now those that do know better, I have way less sympathy for.

Would Annapurna and Devolver be considered AA?
I don't know about the first developer, but the second developer is an absolute yes.

find the games there to be worth as infrequently as AAA titles. Games such as Hollow Knight, Deep Rock Galactic, or Dorfromantik are gems in a sea of generic platformers and games about depression.
That is a horrible misconception. Where are all those depressing games coming from. I only know of a few in the Indie circle, but not all of them are the same depressing game or generic platformers. Come talk to me, and I'll give you plenty that aren't depressing or just regular platformers. like I told another user, all you have to do is look a little harder. They're not that hard to find; especially on Steam or eShop.

Last edited:

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
I'm not going to throw too much shade on people with addictive tendencies that keep getting exploited and manipulated. The same goes for kids and teenagers as well. Now those that do know better, I have way less sympathy for.

I don't know about the first developer, but the second developer is an absolute yes.

That is a horrible misconception. Where are all used depressing games coming from. I only know of a few in the Indie circle, but not all of them are the same depressing game or generic platformers. Come talk to me, and I'll give you plenty that aren't depressing or just regular platformers. like I told another user, all you have to do is look a little harder. They're not that hard to find; especially on Steam or eShop.
Surely everyone's got an addictive tendacy or two. Just in different things. I do agree on kids though. Not just games but YouTube and internet as a whole is horrible to kids. I have a wee cousin that watches those horrible screaming youtubers that's very impressed by them.

Annapura is the studio behind Edith Finch, Outer Wilds (often mistaken for Outer Worlds), Stray, Neon White, and a ton of other gems.

It was mostly hyperbole, but I do stand behind my opinion that great games in the indie sphere come out with the same regularity as they do in the AAA sphere. Which is not very often.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Annapura is the studio behind Edith Finch, Outer Wilds (often mistaken for Outer Worlds), Stray, Neon White, and a ton of other gems.
Got it.

It was mostly hyperbole, but I do stand behind my opinion that great games in the indie sphere come out with the same regularity as they do in the AAA sphere. Which is not very often.
I've seen more good output from the indie and AA compared to the AAA. They still get crap, don't get me wrong, but I don't see near as much when it compared to AAA. For the record, not every indie game interests me either.

Nox

Jun 20, 2023
Country
Valhalla
Got it.

I've seen more good output from the indie and AA compared to the AAA. They still get crap, don't get me wrong, but I don't see near as much when it compared to AAA. For the record, not every indie game interests me either.
'Course. But I don't like this idea that AAA is the devil and only indies are where it's at. There are just as many indie companies with a poor reputation as there are AAA studios. Chucklefish comes to mind.

And, strictly on the game front, there are some real gems in the AAA market as well. I think Days Gone is probably one of the best games ever made and Immortals was unfairly overlooked because it's Ubisoft. Just to name a few.

I do still play a lot of indies and AA. Played Dredge last, loved it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
'Course. But I don't like this idea that AAA is the devil and only indies are where it's at. There are just as many indie companies with a poor reputation as there are AAA studios. Chucklefish comes to mind.
I wouldn't call all of the AAA the devil, but they still screw up too much, or treat their developers like shit. Not all of them do this, but it's still way higher than it should be.

As for Phil Fish, there is a reason why his sorry as ain't in the business anymore. To be fair, most sane people on the indie never like him much either, and had no problems admitting it.

And, strictly on the game front, there are some real gems in the AAA market as well.
Yes. Quite a few.

I think Days Gone is probably one of the best games ever made
I never had any interests, but I know several people on this thread that really enjoyed the game.

Immortals was unfairly overlooked because it's Ubisoft.
I know it's a BotW clone that is good, but I couldn't support due to personal reasons. I am not going to blame others for not buying the game, because of where it came from.

I do still play a lot of indies and AA. Played Dredge last, loved it.
Same, minus playing Dredge.