I yelled 'I love you!' to Susan Arendt while heading opposite directions on an escalator at PAX

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Ooh, celebrity run-ins and wierd con experiences eh? Gather round children, have I got some stories for you. In terms of celebrity run-ins I:

*Once sat next to Molly Meldrum on a flight and gave him a look after a quick exchange of words about the weather that said 'Why are you still wearing that bloody cowboy hat inside an aeroplane?".

*Went to a booksigning for Andrew Hansen and Julian Morrow of Chasers fame and said that people who thought their show was controversial or unfunny should take the pole out of their ass to which they agreed.

*Spotted Kevin James from across the upper level of some open air shopping centre in Hollywood as he was doing an interview for that mall cop film (I was there with my family and we had a competition going as to who could spot a celebrity first...I suppose that's the funny part).

*Once had Susie O'Neill observe me and my friends playing Yu-Gi-Oh (I apologise that these are mostly Australian celebrities).

*Once played xbox live with Barry White's son, it was my birthday that day and so he wished me a happy birthday [:)].

*Once played tennis next to an oval where the Wallabies were training.

And I suppose in terms of wierd con-experiences, well really when you think about it most encounters are wierd at conventions. I recall when I went to this years Supernova (the only con I've been to) I asked a guy dressed as a splicer "Would you kindly let me get a photo" and got a look at the guy from the police academy films who did the great sound effects as he was signing autographs.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
SW15243 said:
Hashime said:
Tell that story to a few women and I can guarantee a payoff, that is if my sisters / female friends / cousins / classmates are any indicator.
I've learned instead to hone my story down to a simple one-sentence "I met Hugh Jackman once." It works about as well as you'd expect.
Hugh jackman, laury, or grant, they all seem to work.

1un4r

Feb 6, 2010
I walked right by the Mega64 guys at Anime Expo this year. Didn't even realize it was them until about half an hour later when I went to their panel.

Jimtopia

Slaving away over a hot laptop.
Oct 3, 2008
When I was at Comic-Con San Diego this past summer me and my friends all went to see Inception. We got in the theater, BAM, Mike and Jerry from Penny Arcade are sitting two rows in front of us, it was a really awesome little coincidence, and we even got to talk to them after the movie. ^_^

More in line with escalator stuff, pretty sure I saw Stan Lee heading opposite of me on an escalator at the same convention. Couldn't work up the nerve to say anything since I wasn't 100% sure it was him at the time.

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
I live in malta... we have no celebrities -_-

Though I did sneak onto the set of ''Troy'' and made off with some fake boulders. These things looked like they could crush your leg but they were made of styrofoam so i grabbed one in each hand and RAN.

Still have them around here somewhere.

SW15243

Jul 15, 2009
Orange Monkey said:
I live in malta... we have no celebrities -_-

Though I did sneak onto the set of ''Troy'' and made off with some fake boulders. These things looked like they could crush your leg but they were made of styrofoam so i grabbed one in each hand and RAN.

Still have them around here somewhere.
Just think, you might have some of Brad Pitt's sweat in your house right now. :p

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Oh and I also got a picture with Hex from GoodGame. Me and like 6 friends ambushed her after one of the seminar things, she looked pretty surprised.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
Interesting topic actually. I can't see any discussion value but regardless I find it intriguing.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Who's Susan Arendt?

Whatever. I asked "Boba Fett" (read: a cosplayer dressed as him) for his autograph while at the Star Wars Episode III premiere. Idiot didn't even know how to spell his name.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I met Jean Chretien at a rally in front of Parliament a couple years back. I was in a big crowd he was moving through and shaking everybody's hands. When he came up to me I pointed to Parliament and said "Shame you're not still up in that building, Teflon Man.(his political nickname)" He smiled and said "I know" and just kept walking. Awesome.

SW15243

Jul 15, 2009
Kimarous said:
Who's Susan Arendt?

Whatever. I asked "Boba Fett" (read: a cosplayer dressed as him) for his autograph while at the Star Wars Episode III premiere. Idiot didn't even know how to spell his name.
She's an editor here at The Escapist. She does a lot of video supplements for a lot of the cuter games. Other stuff too, but if it's a cute game you're more likely to hear her voice. She also does a lot of in front of the camera stuff for Escapist office tours and what have you.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Well, she is the Nerd Queen. That's a brush with celebrity for you, killer.