IBM's New Chip Replicates Your Brain

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
IBM's New Chip Replicates Your Brain

Scientists at IBM have created a chip which mimics the learning processes used by our own brains.

IBM's new SyNAPSE chip is a special piece of engineering: It has the ability to "rewire" the connections within its virtual neurosynaptic centers, allowing it to learn in almost exactly the same way that we fumbling humans do. The process of learning in the human brain is essentially the creation of links between neural areas, which isn't an easy task - but this new chip can replicate it by either ignoring or strengthening established links.

IBM project leader Dharmendra Modha said that by "reverse-engineering the brain," the company hopes to recreate human learning patterns, emotion, and, well, most of what makes humans feel human. It is hoped that "cognitive computers" based on the kind of technology being developed by the SyNAPSE team could one day be used to monitor our own behavior (if they call this part "Skynet", I'm out) or our environment.

While news like this might seem to point to a future where cognitive computers are possible, Dr. Mark Bishop, Professor of Cognitive Computing at Goldsmiths, reminds us that he "understands cognition to be something over and above a process simulated by the execution of mere computations," which is reassuring. Less reassuring is the fact that the project is now being partly funded by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).

Source: BBC News [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14574747]

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Where's Arnold when you need him? I sure hope he'll be willing to kill this thing if it ever becomes truly sentient.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I just realised that with the future also being this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112444-New-Bionic-Leg-Predicts-Your-Every-Move

we will have a war between robots and cyborgs, wich is actually quite cool

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Add the chip to the Swarm robot thing just to see what happens!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112379-Problem-Solving-Robot-Swarm-Goes-After-Our-Books

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Okay, so now all they have to do is merge this tech with the "Swarmanoid" project and then we'll get a real A.I. in time. Or, it decides to kill us all!(DUM, DUM, DUUUUUUM!)

EDIT: Damn it, Ninja'd again!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
and then the robots took over the world.
and anal sex was had by all. no choice.
then we had to build their babies.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Oooo, this with the linking robot story means we may get to have a Geth vs Terminator free for all in the near future.

Taking all bets.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
One step closer to robot overlords? Hellz naw.

One step closer to teaching my toaster to love so I can read it bedtime stories and feed it delicious wall-outlet electricity and take it on walks? Hellz yaw.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
I like how technological advances like these are met by the typical luddite knee jerk reactions. If anything, humans are potentially coming upon one of the most momentous moments in history beyond the evolution of a new species.

So yeah, the future will be rad.

Feb 13, 2008
Hevva said:
Here's the Science bit
Thank you Hevva, from the bottom of my heart. Not just for bringing us this, but from steering clear of lame references to Terminator and all the other "OMG ROBOTS COMING TO GET US" memes.

Much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Ok, I know its impossible, but I will attempt to make a post that does not revolve around slavery, the terminator, or geth.

This reminds me of a scientist said on 20/20 (or some similar show) back in the 80s, that computers would be advanced enough to pull an equivalent level of calculations per second by 2010. So even if this were able to accomplish that (which it is no where close) its still behind schedule.

Though it was decent guess back in the mid 80s, just overwhelmingly optimistic.

Now... wheres my cylon sex bo... DAMN IT!

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
lockgar said:
Welp, good bye human race...

I for one welcome our new computer overlords.
Long live Intelator, Supreme Overload of Information, Data, and Mildly Amusing Cat Videos.