IBM's New Microchip Simulates Human Brain

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014

The chip represents a major advancement in emulating brain functions using silicon.

IBM has developed a microchip that performs calculations in a similar fashion to that of neurons and synapses in the human brain. Named TrueNorth, the chip is designed for low power consumption, and can recognize patterns and classify objects at a more efficient rate. This represents the latest success in a $3 billion pledge for semiconductor research.

TrueNorth was built by Samsung through the same manufacturing methods used to make microprocessors for smartphones and other mobile devices. The basic design was the result of a collaborative effort between IBM and researchers at the New York campus of Cornell University, and said project has been given $53 million in funding from DARPA since 2008.

The chip uses 5.4 billion transistors (more than four times the number in a conventional PC processor) to generate the equivalent of one million neurons and 256 million synapses. These transistors are organized into 4,096 structures called "neurosynaptic cores"- each able to store, process and transmit data to each other via a communications scheme called a crossbar. This crossbar also allows for TrueNorth to be considerably more energy efficient that normal microchips; instead of drawing 50 to 100 watts per square centimeter, it only draws 20 thousandths of a watt.

IBM is already searching for potential business partners to help in bringing the chip to the consumer market. "We have huge commercial ambitions," said Dharmendra Modha, an IBM researcher and chief scientist for brain-inspired computing. Possible applications for the TrueNorth chip vary from room-sized supercomputers to aquatic devices that could sense changes in oceanic conditions. They could even be used in rolling robots with cameras that could inspect areas after a natural disaster.

Share your thoughts about this story in the comments!

Source: The Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/articles/ibm-unveils-chip-simulating-brain-functions-1407434402]

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Ok... if those power ratings aren't a misprint these developments truly were worth $3 billion. I'm glad we're not letting Intel stagnate now that they're a little too comfortable.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
The whole "its like a human brain" bit I couldn't give less of a damn about.

Ok, so they've come up with a new microchip architecture that reduces power use a lot. That's neat. It also seems to allow for more processing power in a smaller package. Also neat.

But honestly, I don't care for hype or "this thing simulates a human brain" - because no it doesn't... not until the thing supports a concious mind of some sort. Until then its just a better chip that draws less power.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
How many years until LQ-84i prototype dog? Because that would go straight to Cool Wall.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's a nice start. The main difference between a brain and modern processors is the human brain is doing parallel processing in the millions at any given moment. It's why our brains do a ridiculous number of things with no effort and relatively cool temperatures... and lasts an awful long time as well.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
webkilla said:
But honestly, I don't care for hype or "this thing simulates a human brain" - because no it doesn't... not until the thing supports a concious mind of some sort. Until then its just a better chip that draws less power.
Using the human brain as an inspiration for a process that handles pattern-recognition significantly better than normal computers, however, could be a very useful development.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

~Allied Master Computer

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
So the power and smartness increases yet the battle to protect peoples details go down. Tech is increasing quicker than than the tech to protect peoples details. I think it would be better to increase security instead of AI.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Auberon said:
How many years until LQ-84i prototype dog? Because that would go straight to Cool Wall.
I would LOVE my own Blade Wolf. This needs to happen so hard.

"Directive... liberate Nation... ensure freedom... Obey directive... must obey directive... no freedom... freedom undefined..."

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
First step towards creating Mother Brain: Taken.
Which one? There's the Metroid one AND the final boss of Phantasy Star 2, which was on a ship from Earth.

OT: Getting much closer to the Ghost in the Shell world here.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
So the power and smartness increases yet the battle to protect peoples details go down. Tech is increasing quicker than than the tech to protect peoples details. I think it would be better to increase security instead of AI.
This is just a lower power and more efficent CPU, it's not an AI (although it would handle AI's and other software better obviously)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
RicoADF said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
This is just a lower power and more efficent CPU, it's not an AI (although it would handle AI's and other software better obviously)
Annoys me that tech moves forward and everything is online now yet no ones details are safe. Fuck tech, if you cant even protect peoples details and everyone forces everyone to be online then stop forwarding IT.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
RicoADF said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Annoys me that tech moves forward and everything is online now yet no ones details are safe. Fuck tech, if you cant even protect peoples details and everyone forces everyone to be online then stop forwarding IT.
'Forces'? Where? Is it the peer pressure like how people throw facebook at you and I still won't get on or is there real force somewhere?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Atmos Duality said:
Which one? There's the Metroid one AND the final boss of Phantasy Star 2, which was on a ship from Earth.

Good point.
It could also be the one from Chrono Trigger too.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
FalloutJack said:
Atmos Duality said:

Good point.
It could also be the one from Chrono Trigger too.
I forgot about that one... Point is...big brain attack! Wah!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Blackwell Stith said:
ech, no, it doesnt. What it does is come closer in computation power to the human brain, nothing about simulating it though.
Not that it matters much, human brain computation abilities are quite bad.

SonOfVoorhees said:
ech, largest flaw in security is not computer based, but human based. most problems exist due to human faults. a computer thats "4 times faster" isnt going to crack your salted hashes any time soon. nor it is going to bruteforce secure passwords. the problem is most people dont have secure passwords.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Strazdas said:
Blackwell Stith said:
ech, no, it doesnt. What it does is come closer in computation power to the human brain, nothing about simulating it though.
Not that it matters much, human brain computation abilities are quite bad.

SonOfVoorhees said:
ech, largest flaw in security is not computer based, but human based. most problems exist due to human faults. a computer thats "4 times faster" isnt going to crack your salted hashes any time soon. nor it is going to bruteforce secure passwords. the problem is most people dont have secure passwords.
In the dudes defence, I believe he's referring to the news report yesteday that a russian ring had amassed 1.2 billion passwords, not through crummy passwords, but by taking them directly from the sites. Your password could be the most complex, unlikely to be "guessed" or decoded password in the world and it wouldn't help in that situation.

And really, providing your password isn't on the list of 20 most used passwords, it's reasonably secure as a password, I mean it's not like in the films where a dude comes in, looks round your office and guesses your password.

However! No system is uncrackable, no matter how well implemented, it's bad, but unfortunetly the world isn't a very nice place, and sometimes, people like to steal stuff. In the old days it was banks, now it's passwords.