Ice Cream That Changes Color as You Lick It? Yes, Please

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Ice Cream That Changes Color as You Lick It? Yes, Please

Tired of boring, statically colored ice cream? Well, look no further.

Manuel Linares, a Spanish physicist-turned-cook, has successfully created a new kind of ice cream that changes its color while you lick it. Naming it "Xamaleon" (which means "chameleon"), he also assures that the color change is perpetrated by all natural ingredients and not by chemical additives.

Linares decided to tinker with the frozen treat while attending a course on ice cream making. When he shared his idea of a color-changing ice cream, the instructor scoffed at him. Linares responded by successfully creating an ice cream that switches from blue to magenta as it melts- bringing new meaning to the phrase "eating crow".

"As a physicist I know that there are various possibilities that might work and I was delighted when I managed to crack it and create an ice cream that changes color," he said. As of now, Linares has refused to release the full contents of the recipe. However, he has divulged some of the ice cream's ingredients, such as strawberries, banana, pistachio, vanilla, caramel, cocoa and almonds. The taste of the ice cream has been described by those who have eaten it as something resembling tutti-frutti.

The secret behind Xamaleon's color-changing ability will also remain a mystery- at least until Linares manages to secure a patent. The only fact he's chosen to share is that he uses a "love elixir" that is sprayed on the ice cream after it is made. Temperature change affects acids in the dairy product and stimulates a reaction that causes a change in shade.

Xamaleon has exploded at Linares' ice cream business in Spain. He has plans to eventually expand his business across the ocean, as well as create a flavor that changes color when exposed to ultraviolet light. "I am a huge fan of the British ice cream genius Charlie Francis- the creator of a fluorescent ice and founder of the company Lick Me Delicious," Linares said. "I wanted to create an ice cream that changed color to try and do something new as well."

Does the thought of color-changing ice cream sound delicious to you? Let us know in the comments!

Source: Tech Times [http://www.techtimes.com/articles/11659/20140730/draft-this-ice-cream-changes-color-as-it-melts.htm]

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
The only fact he's chosen to share is that he uses a "love elixir" that is sprayed on the ice cream after it is made.
It occurs to me that there may have been better ways to phrase that...

Anyways... I'm a fan of food that doesn't change colour, I'll stick with that.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
You're turning magenta Magenta!

Seriously though, I love stuff like this, SCIENCE!

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Blackwell Stith said:
Manuel Linares, a Spanish physicist-turned-cook, has successfully created a new kind of ice cream that changes its color while you lick it. Naming it "Xamaleon" (which means "chameleon"), he also assures that the color change is perpetrated by all natural ingredients and not by chemical additives.
"Chemical additives", oh hey chemphobia, fancy seeing you in Spain.

I'm pretty sure there's some fancy chemistry behind that color change, but since advertising has conditioned people to think that anything 'chemical' is automatically bad (even though so-called natural ingredients have no assurance of being safer) that it's even less likely that we'll learn how this works.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
He sprays it with a love elixir?! Well don't take that out of context!

And what a great idea. I've always said chocolate is my favorite flavor, but you know what would make it perfect? If it slowly turned red, making it look like I'm rotting meat. Now THAT is ice cream!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
There's something rather poetic about creating a product that is silly and pointless out of spite.

Love the thumbnail on the front page, by the way.

Mad Sun

Jul 15, 2011
Color changing ice cream? What's next, sequins milkshakes? Bow tie french fries?

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
We used to have an ice cream with a similar flavor profile called Blue Moon when I worked at an ice cream shop. The owner would never let me see what the ingredients were when he was making it. It looks like this scientist may have made blue moon and found how to change its colour. Neat!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No offence but I'm not too impressed per say, I mean the colour don't dramatically changed in the video in the link (the colour look different as you normally licked it).

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'm sure I'd try it once just to say I had but unless it was way more delicious than any other ice cream in the area, I highly doubt I'd ever buy it frequently simply because it changes colors as I eat it.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Mad Sun said:
Color changing ice cream? What's next, sequins milkshakes? Bow tie french fries?
That episode of Spongebob was funny.

OT: What flavor is it? I assume it's only 1 flavor, even if it changes colors, but what flavor is it? I only like Vanilla Ice Cream, so if this isn't Vanilla I wouldn't eat it.

Still neat, but I'll pass.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The only fact he's chosen to share is that he uses a "love elixir" that is sprayed on the ice cream after it is made.

Yeah, I'm not touching anything involving an unknown "love elixir."

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
The next step in this new creation's natural progression is marketing it off to the government for military camouflage research!

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
You keep going on about color changing ice cream, but I don't see any color changing ice cream!
Did I mention I'm colorblind?
I'm not seeing a difference.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Alcom1 said:
You keep going on about color changing ice cream, but I don't see any color changing ice cream!
I'm no expert on colour blindness, but shouldn't you still be seeing the difference as it gets lighter/darker?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Blackwell Stith said:
all natural
"love elixir"
I'm going to have to say no.

Unless this guy just told us he stole a fictional character's (Austin Powers) Mojo.... Then I'm going to have to think about it....

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Jadak said:
Alcom1 said:
I'm no expert on colour blindness, but shouldn't you still be seeing the difference as it gets lighter/darker?
Yes, but then it's easily mistaken for shading.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:

Yeah, I'm not touching anything involving an unknown "love elixir."
Not even if it comes from something called "Lick Me Delicious"?