Iceberg Landlocks Penguin Colony; More than 150,000 Dead

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Iceberg Landlocks Penguin Colony; More than 150,000 Dead

A floating iceberg became wedged against an Antarctic land mass and has doomed a colony of penguins, who must now travel more than 37 miles to its nearest food source.

It's bad enough when your favorite take-out place closes, but imagine there not being any more restaurants, or even grocery stores, for almost 40 miles - and you don't have a car.

That is essentially what is facing a colony of penguins after a floating iceberg became wedged against a land mass in Antarctica and cut off a colony of more than 160,000 penguins near Cape Denison in Commonwealth Bay from their nearby food source. The mishap effectively landlocked the colony, forcing them to travel more than 35 miles to the nearest coast for food.

The iceberg, roughly the size of Rome and measuring almost 1,800 square miles became trapped in the bay in 2010 and lodged against a glacier, cutting off the local fishing hole. Since 2011, the colony of Adelie penguins has dwindled to about 10,000, with no relief in sight.

The colony was tracked and recorded as part of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition, led by University of New South Wales Professor of Climate Change and Earth Sciences, Chris Turney. He said that particular colony has been recorded for more than 100 years and that researchers back then complained of the noise.

"It's eerily silent now," Turney said. "The ones that we saw at Cape Denison were incredibly docile, lethargic, almost unaware of your existence. The ones that are surviving are clearly struggling. They can barely survive themselves, let alone hatch the next generation. We saw lots of dead birds on the ground ... it's just heartbreaking to see."

"The arrival of iceberg B09B in Commonwealth Bay, East Antarctica, and subsequent fast ice expansion has dramatically increased the distance Ad?lie penguins breeding at Cape Denison must travel in search of food," the team said in an Antarctic Science article. [http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=10171606&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0954102015000644] "The Cape Denison population could be extirpated within 20 years unless B09B relocates or the now perennial fast ice within the bay breaks out. This has provided a natural experiment to investigate the impact of iceberg stranding events and sea ice expansion along the East Antarctic coast."

Dr. Kerry-Jayne Wilson, of the West Coast Penguin Trust and co-author of the study, said the iceberg has totally changed the penguin habitat, leading to "catastrophic breeding failure". She said researchers were heartsick walking "amongst thousands of freeze-dried chicks from the previous season and hundreds of abandoned eggs".

[gallery=5686]

Researchers note that a similar penguin colony located only five miles from open ocean is thriving. It is expected that the Cape Denison colony could be totally wiped out within 20 years unless the iceberg is somehow moved.

"Iceberg doesn't really do it justice," Turney said. "It's like a small country, it's enormous. As the planet warms you're going to get more ice melting. The reality is, more icebergs will be released from Antarctica and just embed themselves along the coastline, and make the traveling distances for some of these colonies even further than they have been."

Source: Sydney Morning Herald [http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=10171606&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0954102015000644]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Not the penguins! Can't we just...relocate them? It sounds a lot easier than relocating a country sized iceberg that should totally be called blocky Bob (B0B 9, see?). I guess melting it away is out of the question, as it sort of is precisely the opposite of everything we have been hoping to achieve in the last 4 decades. Send in our best penguin trappers! They need our help fast and we never let an anguished antarctic cry go unheeded!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
Not the penguins! Can't we just...relocate them?
Where you gonna' put a bunch of penguins?! Madagascar? Gotham?!
And species that insists on such formal attire is up to something, mark my words.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:
Not the penguins! Can't we just...relocate them? It sounds a lot easier than relocating a country sized iceberg that should totally be called blocky Bob (B0B 9, see?). I guess melting it away is out of the question, as it sort of is precisely the opposite of everything we have been hoping to achieve in the last 4 decades. Send in our best penguin trappers! They need our help fast and we never let an anguished antarctic cry go unheeded!
unfortunately not that easy, they return to the same spot to breed, etc

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
NOOO! Not the penguins!

Well that's depressing... isn't there anything anyone can do? If relocating the penguins won't work, can't we blow up the damn iceberg?

...Yeah, I have no idea. I'm just throwing things out there...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Silentpony said:
Where you gonna' put a bunch of penguins?! Madagascar? Gotham?!
And species that insists on such formal attire is up to something, mark my words.
Gotham would at least turn them into productive members of society, the level of nefariousness will depend on who gets to house them. I offer my abode, it has a fridge AND a freezer. Living the dream!!
Anyhow, they can't be up to anything evil...not when said formal attire can be sooo adorably utilised in the right roles;

pookie101 said:
Social conditioning? A specially trained, committed usher with a big broom? An even lovelier shagpad breeding ground to tempt them? I have little else to contribute unfortunately.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Such is nature..

The Penguins can't be relocated by external choice but the iceberg can..until the next one appears.
Should we even intervene?
Climate change is happening and part of nature, but even if you believe that mankind is at fault should we throw another spanner into the natural outcome of any event and go further down the road of unnatural selection?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
mtarzaim02 said:
I wonder what the fishes in that area would think of this situation...
Who do you think pushed the iceberg there in the first place? :p

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
pookie101 said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
How on earth do they choose such a spot in the first place? And why won't they move?

Penguin 1: My father, and his father before him, hunted in this fishing hole. My grandmother came here to spawn her eggs. I won't abandon our penguin heritage. I won't be the penguin that abandoned our home.

Penguin 2: We can't stay here! Look at your children! Look at your wife! If we stay here, we are all gonna die!

Penguin 1: So be it.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
This was like, the plot of Happy Feet 2...only with a less depressing outcome.
Poor birdies. :c

L3D

Jul 15, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Penguins are perfectly able to migrate themselves. This has happened before, will happen again, nothing new in penguin history http://www.livescience.com/469-shifting-icebergs-forced-penguin-evolution.html

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
"As the planet warms you're going to get more ice melting. The reality is, more icebergs will be released from Antarctica"

This has been happening for the hundreds of years its just the nature of the planet.

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
CyanCat47 said:
just like that a random iceberg kills a number equivalent to 50% of casualties in the syrian war thus far. that is scary
Perhaps Germany can take in the penguin refugees as well.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
InflatableHippo said:
CyanCat47 said:
just like that a random iceberg kills a number equivalent to 50% of casualties in the syrian war thus far. that is scary
Perhaps Germany can take in the penguin refugees as well.
The french would suffice since it's actually not in violation of the human rights to pen up wild animals

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
FogHornG36 said:
"As the planet warms you're going to get more ice melting. The reality is, more icebergs will be released from Antarctica"

This has been happening for the hundreds of years its just the nature of the planet.
Yeah, but when you take into account natural history of the planet it makes it harder to argue that this is our fault due to global warming. Then how are we supposed to guilt-trip ourselves over every tragedy that happens due to nature via natural processes?