Icewind Dale Whistles Across Good Old Games

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Icewind Dale Whistles Across Good Old Games

Black Isle's classic PC RPG that allows players to create an entire Dungeons & Dragons party is now available on GOG.com.

Good Old Games keeps getting one old-school RPG closer to having the world forgive it for its Icewind Dale [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103694-Good-Old-Games-Not-Really-Gone] available on the service.

What differentiates Icewind Dale from the other two GOG titles is that it allows players to create an entire party of up to six. Baldur's Gate only allows the player to create one character, while Planescape: Torment has every player take on the role of the Nameless One.

Want six thieves? I don't recommend it, but go ahead. Icewind Dale still has a story, but it relates to a general group of adventurers rather than specific personalities in your party. Players must save the land from evil while taking on the game's many dungeons however they see fit.

Icewind Dale also uses BioWare's Infinity Engine like its GOG counterparts. The GOG version includes both of Icewind Dale's expansion packs, which makes this a pretty content-rich release. Players can even take their adventurers through the game's storyline a second time with experience points and equipment intact to face tougher foes and keep leveling up.

If you're into RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale is a more customizable, must-play brother. With GOG apparently releasing one classic Infinity Engine game per week, what could be next? Baldur's Gate 2? Icewind Dale 2? Sadly, there are a limited number, so eventually GOG will have to find something else to beg forgiveness with.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Where the hell is System Shock 2?

GOG has until Christmas to release System Shock 2...or else...I'll...eat Russ Pitts or something.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Dang it GOG, stop tempting me! First Baldur's gate, then Planescape: Torment, now this. It is like the service knows what I want and is dangling it in front of my face. I think I am going to have to create an account now.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Have been waiting for this game for sooo long, never got the expansions, so this is really exciting.

ArcanaJ

Sep 14, 2010
Man, I LOVED Icewind Dale! It also had some of the best character portrait art in any RPG ever. I loved those portraits so much I ported them over to my BG and BGII files. Ah, good times...

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
My second disk was scratched beyond repair and the game would freeze. No one sold it anymore, thank you GOG!

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
oh god, this brings back bad memories. this game is so disgustingly ridiculous hard, the first monster will kill you in 3 hits, and theres about 7 of them. and theres no city guards. and they camp the door if you go inside. and that was on easy.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Where the hell is System Shock 2?

GOG has until Christmas to release System Shock 2...or else...I'll...eat Russ Pitts or something.
Somewhere between EA's archives and copyright hell, depending on who you ask.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Ah...Icewind Dale.
I played it when i was much younger, had some good time. Never finished it, a shame...
I remeber fooling around in-game. Once i did a party made up from mages. Half my party was wiped when i went outside the village to fight the goblins.
However, my party of 6 identical fighters with shields went a bit better, and it kinda looked like a small Roman army consisting of 6 men.
good memories.

slaveway3242

Sep 18, 2010
I could be wrong considering it's been about 7 or 8 years since I played ID/ID2 but the screenshot you have up, isn't that from ID2? The reason I'm thinking this is because of the character portraits on the right and I'm sure they weren't in the original.
So either it is ID2, or they ported all the portraits across, or I'm just imagining the whole thing which is kinda worrying... Don't want to lose my mind for at least a few more years...

BourneGamer

Mar 18, 2010
slaveway3242 said:
I could be wrong considering it's been about 7 or 8 years since I played ID/ID2 but the screenshot you have up, isn't that from ID2? The reason I'm thinking this is because of the character portraits on the right and I'm sure they weren't in the original.
So either it is ID2, or they ported all the portraits across, or I'm just imagining the whole thing which is kinda worrying... Don't want to lose my mind for at least a few more years...
No, it's from #1. The big giveaway is the symbol in the upper left corner, along with the rest of the interface, both of which are straight from Icewind Dale.