id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

id Software gives The Escapist a first-look at their forthcoming shooter, Rage.

Read Full Article

Apr 28, 2008
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Hehe, you could make a drinking game out of it :p

OT: Looks interesting. I'll have to look into it though before I buy. I don't want to buy it, end up not liking it, and rage.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I can't wait for it. ID does what 3D Realms don't.

Were you there with GamesRadar? They JUST posted a preview of the game a few minutes ago, too.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Meh why do I get the feeling its going to be alot of art direction and little game design.............

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Suki the Cat said:
Kalezian said:
Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...
Hell, these little things are all the same. That's why TV Tropes [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fallout] exists.

We can't have complete originality, no matter how hard we try.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
It looks good but the comparison to Fallout 3 is obvious. You start off in a Vault ARK and you have to wander around a post-apocalyptic DC wasteland and fight super mutants and fight The Enclave Authority.

To be honest I'm looking forward to this as it looks good and more open world FPS's is not a bad thing in my book but I just feel like they're not really pushing out the boat setting or story wise which is a shame. Then again no one can really complain much beyond that before playing the game which could be nothing like Fallout.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Kalezian said:
If its fallout without the constant pauses, with tight controls and shooting, I could be happy.

Id also prefer more "Mad Max" than fall out.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I feel horrible for saying this.

But whether or not I buy this game rests entirely on what DRM Id do or preferrably don't plug into it. I'm excited about the game, it's an Id shooter, but it sucks that whether or not I'm going to buy is decided by things completely unrelated to the gameplay.

On the other hand, new Id shooter #slobber#

Kalezian said:
I know what you mean. But if it turns out to be 'Fallout 3, but with proper shooting', then it will be a very good thing indeed.

Tiut

Jul 9, 2008
Gee, the obvious influence from other post-apocalyptic titles such as Fallout will certainly result in some...

...RAGE.

dohohohoho

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Kalezian said:
I am extremely excited for this game, and have been for a long time! That being said, hearing this interview...all I could think was "Fallout 3?". lol.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
ciortas1 said:
Wait, so this is like fallout 3, but with better shooting mechanics, graphics, and hopefully dialogue animations? I'm sold.
It does appear that way...although it has to be seen if it will live up to the name.

Still promising though

Dodgy

Mar 23, 2010
Suki the Cat said:
Kalezian said:
I don't agree with this. ID is being very very boring with this and inventing a good setting has never been their forte. This is just a FPS Fallout 3 as I see it and no kudos to ID for making it.

It can be a good shooter yes, but in the end, originality-wise: 0/10 ID.

Why not take an original template? Cells shooting through the human body trying to cure an illness or something. Anything would have been better than the Fallout3-setting*2.
No, not everything, WWII would have been worse, and maybe man-fights-aliens as well.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Kalezian said:
To be fair, this paragraph:

"Your ARK is damaged, and you are the only survivor." when you emerge into this world, it is something that no one expected. More people survived the impact than anyone thought, society has tried to rebuild itself, there are mutants, and there's bandits and there's this omnipresent force that we call The Authority. At some point in the game, you will ultimately battle against this Authority."

They're not exactly trying very hard to deviate themselves from the Fallout universe (actually, it sounds more like the plots of Fallout 1 & 2 mashed up more than it does Fallout 3).

Don't get me wrong, I love id games. Doom 3 is still one of the games I play when I want to play a straight-up shooter. And I would love nothing more than to see id release another great game. But post- or Semi-apocalyptic games involving mutants/aliens/both, one or more evil psuedo-governments, and society trying to get on with life, are pretty much dime-a-dozen these days.

Fallout (universe), Borderlands, World in Conflict, Starcraft. If id want to create something genre-defying like they did with DOOM, they're going to have to come up with something that doesn't make me want to re-install that Fallout .WAD I found once.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
That's your problem then, Dodgy.

Rage looks interesting to me. Better than Fallout 3 in my eyes. I'm curious about how the geography is going to be looking like, since I've seen their videos on the geography making mechanics they used.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Dodgy said:
Suki the Cat said:
Kalezian said:
I don't agree with this. ID is being very very boring with this and inventing a good setting has never been their forte. This is just a FPS Fallout 3 as I see it and no kudos to ID for making it.

It can be a good shooter yes, but in the end, originality-wise: 0/10 ID.

Why not take an original template? Cells shooting through the human body trying to cure an illness or something. Anything would have been better than the Fallout3-setting*2.
No, not everything, WWII would have been worse, and maybe man-fights-aliens as well.
Fallout 3 is not the first, nor the last, game to do a post-apocalyptic setting. Yet, few complained about Fallen Earth being like Fallout 3. Becuase they are still good games.

A game doesn't HAVE to be something original and revolutionary to be a good game. People seem to forget this when prejudging a game. Splinter Cell games has been around for quite some time. They do most of their aspects of the game just like it was before, only changes to the storyline. I still enjoy the games a lot, and many others do. It's not something new and never-before-seen, but its good! Its fun! Thats what matters.

And I'm not saying I don't want game companies to be inventive and make new things we have never seen anything like before. I'm just saying it's not a criteria for making a good game =3. I love seeing new and strange game modes.