id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
when is the release?
id is talking about it since doom 3.
also they didnt release anything since then. i'm a little worried.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Probably cause its eating at you to, what is described there is sounds all very Already been done, and the ark thing to come out into an open world, its just screaming fallout 3.
but i am interested in this cause its id, the gunplay should be pretty good, and crap all over fallout 3's gun play

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I don't know about this one. In danger of sounding redundant, the game does look and sound a lot like Fallout 3. I read an article about it a while back and the guy interviewed made a point to differentiate it from Fallout, but it all sounded like they just changed the names and some of the scenery. They even have a quirky TV show host (um, Three-dog anyone?). Even the ARKs. I mean the article here even calls them "Vault-like." At least try to do so something different. So far I haven't heard anything to make Rage standout as anything other than a Fallout clone, which is kind of sad.

Personally I thought Fallout was good but had a lot of room for improvement, and when I heard about Rage, I was hesitantly hopeful. So far though, it just looks like more of the same which is pretty disappointing.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Unfortunately, it IS. Replace "The Ark" with "Vault". Replace "Wasteland" with "Wasteland". Replace "The Authority" with "The Enclave". Replace... Ah you get the idea.

They just described Fallout, anyone would think they copied from Black Isle's test paper.

However I am now going to keep an eye on this. Because I, like the rest of the world, sometimes enjoy eating the same meal, even if it has a different name.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Russ Pitts has fond memories of having his mind blown by id Software's Doom and Quake. He is optimistic about Rage.
My thoughts exactly! If it's like Borderlands, then there is no doubt my friends and I will spend plenty of time exploring it. But I am really hoping to see a new dawn for id, my most favorite old software company.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
olikunmissile said:
They just described Fallout, anyone would think they copied from Bethesda's test paper.

However I am now going to keep an eye on this. Because I, like the rest of the world, sometimes enjoy eating the same meal, even if it has a different name.
Yea, at worst it'll probably be the same great meal cooked by a different great chef.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
olikunmissile said:
Kalezian said:
Unfortunately, it IS. Replace "The Ark" with "Vault". Replace "Wasteland" with "Wasteland". Replace "The Authority" with "The Enclave". Replace... Ah you get the idea.

They just described Fallout, anyone would think they copied from Bethesda's test paper.

You mean Black Isle's test paper. I think I'll just avoid this thread. The amount of times Fallout 3 has been referenced is already making me rage.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Suki the Cat said:
Kalezian said:
Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...
I know what you're saying, I hate the way everything is compared to everything else instead of its own merits (really, the first one there is considered 'original and best', even if it's crap by newer standards). But i'm gonna fuck with you for a second. Here's a new game idea - like Rage, FPS with RPG elements, buy your own equipment, weapons and choose your own allegiances. Set in Napoleonic era.

Or how about a racing game where you buy your own ride, customise it, tweak it and race it to win money. Set in space.

This is easier than I thought. Btw, if anybody knows any games like the ones i just described, let me know i really wanna play goddammit!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I don't care what anyone says or promises, everything seems just too stalker or fallout-ish. I liked both those games, but I'm really fucking tired of traveling around in post apocalyptic shit heaps. I want to see trees and water and lush environments. Or well constructed cities that look bright and clean.

If I wanted to traverse a poorly constructed pile of dirt I could just go to the construction site near my university. I'm tired of all the brown brown brown grey brown colours. I'm tired of everything being rusty. I'm tired of dust and faltering metal. Give me something INTERESTING to look at.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
UtopiaV1 said:
I know what you're saying, I hate the way everything is compared to everything else instead of its own merits (really, the first one there is considered 'original and best', even if it's crap by newer standards). But i'm gonna fuck with you for a second. Here's a new game idea - like Rage, FPS with RPG elements, buy your own equipment, weapons and choose your own allegiances. Set in Napoleonic era.

Or how about a racing game where you buy your own ride, customise it, tweak it and race it to win money. Set in space.

This is easier than I thought. Btw, if anybody knows any games like the ones i just described, let me know i really wanna play goddammit!
Fucking brilliant! Why can't these ideas make it to the game industry??? And even better, become reality. I love original ideas like this. If the first game you mention came out I'd be all over it! I still think a good game is a good game, if its revolutionary or not, but something like what you describe would be brilliant...

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
TOGSolid said:
olikunmissile said:
Kalezian said:

You mean Black Isle's test paper. I think I'll just avoid this thread. The amount of times Fallout 3 has been referenced is already making me rage.
Ah... How right you are... What a foolish mistake, I must amend it at once.

With all the mention of Fallout 3 I must have just skipped over it.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
While the setting does make me think Fallout, particularly the Ark bit, being able to actually concentrate on shooting things with accurate guns rather than rely on a VATS-type system to hit a target would make for much tighter gameplay, I'd think.

Post-apocalypse has been done many times before. It will be done many times in future. As long as the game holds up on its own merits I could live with the setting. That is, if I were getting the game; I doubt my compy'd be able to run it.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
That game certainly looks interesting. To bad I'll most likely wet my pants at the very first monster encounter.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Certainly sounds like FO3, or STALKER, or any other FPS infected with RPG tendencies and robbed of what makes Doom fun.

I guess it's futile to be praying for a Painkiller/Serious Sam-Esque game done well with infinitely upgradable ridiculous weaponry, endlessly escalating powerful & massive baddies and totally dis-jointed but spectacular, disturbing, weird and scary levels.

Bored of FPS games being so stubbornly grounded in reality. *sigh*

maeson

Nov 2, 2009
I find their decision to go for post-apoc very solid. Sure, people go "But it's Fallout3! Only newer" Say what again? Yes, it's post apoc but there's a REASON for that!

It's a setting that allows and to a point, demands, this vigilante, lawless air and feel to it that these games need. BB only knows that the more advanced sci-fi we get, the more control there'd be! So, yes, they could of gone the Borderlands road, but that'd mean you should be seeing some very advanced stuff that would make the game harder to relate to. Going for original these days is improbable. You COULD come up with some things but in the end, it'd just feel so silly and out there, people will go "uuuuh, yeah... pass!"

If Rage gets the gameplay right, I'll try it. Here they at least tell you are being directed. No pretense or lie about "total player freedom". I can live with being guided, but don't lie to me... please.

[TRIVIA!] Skip if you will
First the DC "wasteland" shouldn't be a desert to begin with. The only reason the first two FO's were desert was because they take place in areas that are deserts at this very moment.
And Borderlands wasn't post-apoc. It took place on a mining outpost that wasn't worth a damn and the company just pulled out, best parallel being, kids playing cops and robbers in an abandoned office complex that was never finished, for something shiny, like an abandoned tool, or a cool trinket.
[/TRIVIA]

Artheval_Pe

Jul 7, 2008
To id Software credit, when they first announced the game at QuakeCon 2007, Fallout 3 had not been announced, S.T.A.L.K.E.R had just come out, Far Cry 2 hadn't been unveiled and Borderlands still looked like a piece of crap.

So it's pretty much pointless to say "Meh, they ripped off Fallout 3/Game X/Whatever". It's just that they had the same idea at the same time since the state of the technology allowed them to do such games that couldn't be done before.

If id is making a game set in a post-apocalyptic future, it is because of their technology. id Tech 5 was designed precisely to tackle the challenge of rendering huge outdoors environnements with a lot of visual diversity (i.e. not with the same texture and models applied to entire mountains or to all mountains and hills). That is precisely the goal of the megatexture. So a shooter made in an alien city would make pretty much no use of the features of id_Tech 5. Their game is supposed to be good, but it is also supposed to show the capabilities of their engine since they plan to licence it at least more than id_Tech 4.

One thing I like with id is how they seem enthousiastic and commited to that game. They showed it in the EA business area at Gamescom 2009 and Tim Willits and Matt Hooper were the ones showing it to the press. Their presentation was more convincing than all the facts sheets and trailers in the world. And it was way better than most of the presentations of other games given by brand managers and producers who didn't even know at times on what engine their game was running.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I hope the levels are as good as fallout 3,I hope the gameplay is better than FO3/bioshock and DOOM3, I just hope its not a another half assed product....