id Gets Back to Business: A Preview of Rage

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Suki the Cat said:
Kalezian said:
I cant wait for Rage either. but I cant shake the feeling that people will cry on their rooftops "ITS FALLOUT [3]!"
Sad, isn't it? Everything is Fallout 3, or Modern Warfare, or something... You cannot make good games without being totally revolutionary if you don't want this =p. You'll have to make something entirely new. And that is impossible. Someone will ALWAYS find a game to compare it to...
This always existed ever since Doom was created, back then, the genre wasn't called FPS, it was simply called "Doom clone", the FPS genre came after Half-Life when people saw that HL was all about shooting while having a compelling storyline. Since then, we all know the genre as FPS, even Doom evolved from a "Doom clone" to FPS.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Zetablade said:
RAge looks awesome I just don't hope this happens again

I'm pretty sure that was Ion Storm, not id Software.

I've been excited for Rage since it was announced and I continue to be. It looks like what I wished Fallout 3 would have been. I'll buy Rage at release as I would with any id game.

RaVeN-05

Dec 9, 2009
r_Chance said:
samsonguy920 said:
It's lack of effort to trying to break the rut of games is why Crytek keeps selling theirs. If I had to choose between Rage and Crysis 2, I'd pick the latter because at least right now, NYC isn't being raped to death just yet. I can just play Fallout 3 to get my Wasteland fill. Not to mention Rage will also have New Vegas to go up against. Seriously id, if you are going to come back into the ring, don't do it as a copycat. At least pick a genre that isn't being used just now.
Why not revive Hexxen?
Id started work on their "copycat" about the same time Bethesda started on Fallout 3. Bethesda used a middleware engine which they also used for Oblivion and got it out the door. Id developed a new engine. I love Fallout 3. In spite of the game engine. I suspect I'll like Rage as a game, and be a lot happier with the tech it runs on. As for Hexen, that was a Raven Software game. Id engine, different developer -- the same developer that id used to do Quake IV. They have always had a pretty close relationship. Personally I'd love to see a Hexen III. Hexen II is one of my favorite all time games. Hopefully Raven will dust it off and carry it forward. First Person, RPG elements, swords and sorcery. *sigh* I can hope...
I hope Raven continue Heretic or HeXen. But idk.
I know fans recreating hexen on doom3 engine.
http://www.hexenmod.com/

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
RaVeN-05 said:
I hope Raven continue Heretic or HeXen. But idk.
I know fans recreating hexen on doom3 engine.
http://www.hexenmod.com/
Nice. Very nice. Thanks for the link.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
saejox said:
when is the release?
id is talking about it since doom 3.
also they didnt release anything since then. i'm a little worried.
DOOM RPG
Orcs and elves 1 & 2
Doom Ressurection
Wolfenstein RPG
Plus they have been working big time on this and doom 4
(it should benoted they have something against more than forty people per game dev team.)

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
The Mighty Thesaurus said:
Somebody get these people some cyberpunk, post haste.
thats been every non-quake game they have ever made (ok,final doom/doom 2 was rather... weird but...)

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Bruce Edwards said:
I miss the ID of old, who seemed to *create* new game genre's. (They did the first Shooter, the first WWII shooter, the first game where you were a Space Marine, the first no-story shooter with a pure multiplayer focus).

The new ID seems to do a lot of recycling of old concepts. But at least they polish everything to a dizzying, Blizzard-style level before releasing it.
first shooter? wrongususususus me amigo.

look up "maze war"

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Cooler than Doom? Did he say "Cooler than Doom"? That's not physically possible. Id has made some AMAZING games since Doom, but none have recreated the impact and popularity of the original demon slaughterfest.
RAGE looks great, and as one of the 50 people worldwide who hasn't played Fallout 3 or Borderlands, a post apocalypse game is "Not new, but it's new to me!"

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Z(ombie)fan said:
Bruce Edwards said:
I miss the ID of old, who seemed to *create* new game genre's. (They did the first Shooter, the first WWII shooter, the first game where you were a Space Marine, the first no-story shooter with a pure multiplayer focus).

The new ID seems to do a lot of recycling of old concepts. But at least they polish everything to a dizzying, Blizzard-style level before releasing it.

look up "maze war"
Maze War? well, I guess Wolfenstein is the first shooter that more than 40 people know about. It's also still the only game to this day that allows you to turn Hitler into a bloody pile like he deserves.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Dfskelleton said:
Z(ombie)fan said:
Bruce Edwards said:

look up "maze war"
Maze War? well, I guess Wolfenstein is the first shooter that more than 40 people know about. It's also still the only game to this day that allows you to turn Hitler into a bloody pile like he deserves.
40 people? NO! 41, ************!

I just like to nag with my pointless trivia.