I'd Like my Legend of Korra, minus the Korra please

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, just watched the episodes of Season 3 of Legend of Korra....and I'm seriously wondering if they're ever going to let her actually grow as a character.

Seriously, 3 seasons and she's still just as angry, headstrong, belligerent, and also mopey? Seriously guys? I'm all for female characters as strong characters, but come on, 3 seasons and she's had no growth. She still solves (or tries to) everything by smashing it or burning it. She's as gullible as a 4 year old...actually no, I take that back, one of the young air bender children, the girl with the yellow poof balls in her hair is about that age, and she's shown more skepticism and cunning than the Avatar.

Once again, it's a season where so far, I openly cringe in any scene that involves the main character. The rest of the cast is great (with some minor annoying bits), but good grief Korra!! She's just so....gaaaah!! *pulls out hair*

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
I have not seen Season 3 yet but from what I have seen in Season 1 and 2 I agree. She is the weakest character in the series and her emotions and behaviors at times seem random and nonsensical.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Mopey? In season 3? When was this?

She got a bit depressed when everyone was demanding that she separate the human and spirit worlds (which is something that she couldn't do), but she got over it after Tenzen more or less told her to give those people the finger.

Dec 14, 2009
You know, I heard about Korra complaints before I started, and before I finished The Last Airbender.

Now having caught up and having watched all the episodes of season 3 so far, I'm convinced people are just butthurt that Korra isn't Aang.

I like her.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
You know, I heard about Korra complaints before I started, and before I finished The Last Airbender.

Now having caught up and having watched all the episodes of season 3 so far, I'm convinced people are just butthurt that Korra isn't Aang.

I like her.
As a long-time fan of TLA, I will say that I didn't mind that Korra was *different* from Aang, but what I don't like is that she never seems to grow, make a meaningful decision, or master anything about herself.

I remember that I was annoyed how when she lost her powers in S1, not only did she magically learn airbending, but she also got them all back with a hand-waive.

Conversely, when Aang lost his Avatar State, yes he got it back via DEM -BUT- he had to spend an entire season coming to grips with it. Korra always gets all the answers handed to her and thus is the least impactful character in her own story.

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
Doug and Rob said it best about season two. The secondary characters is where the story is at. I have never liked Korra since the get-go but she has matured in the tiniest of bits. The story revolving around Mako's and Bolin's family was awesome and I hope they go back to that. Tenzin finally bringing forth Aang's dream about rebuilding the Air Nation is a promising story line. I feel that some aspects of this season will be by-the-book generic if not handled properly. Things like Jinora having a crush on Kai only to have Tenzin disapprove of that until Kai proves himself. Kai is a theft and will more then likely have to prove himself changed by saving Jinora from something. Mako and Bolin will have to choose between their life at Republic City or staying with their family. This season, like the first, will have villains that I would probably would like to see more of then Korra. But, as far as first impressions go, this season is starting of on a wobbly but good first step.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I think this complaint was relevant in the 2nd season, but in the third?

Look, I realize she was still angry like...three times. In as many episodes. But it was always justified. She only got angry when she was actually doing her job, and other people were being incompetent. I think she's always going to be more confrontation than Aang, but that isn't necessarily a flaw.

And there were plenty of times when she wasn't angry. Remember the conversation between her and guy on the bridge? Or when her and Tenzin talked about responsibility? She wasn't mopey then, she was just tired, and understandably so.

Honestly, I think these first three episodes made huge strides in finally making Korra likable.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Watched the first episode and didn't really like her.
I mean I disliked the show in general because of far it seemed to diverge from the lore of the last airbender but Korra just seemed way to aggressive when it was obvious that her actions would backlash. Like that time she grabbed the mayor by the chin and just told him off in front of the media circle, that's not exactly going to get you brownie points with the people and she should know that yet she still mopes about her approval rating as if it isn't her fault.

And then there's just her being dumb like that scene with the guy on the bridge, basically begging her to take away his bending powers because he's afraid of them and she tells him no it's impossible. She learned how to take and give people bending at the end of season 1 with Lin and we also learned that in season 1 even water benders can take away bending. I understand new air benders is a big deal but damn the guys freaking out here, not everyone wants superpowers. Either she was too dumb to realize she could take his bending away or too selfish to do it, either way not a big fan of her.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

I like her.
Why do her like her? I honestly have hard time finding any redeeming qualities from her she drives me crazy most of the time.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
I am liking korra again season 2 seemed to be a major regression in her charcter but season 3 she tries to be peacefull and calm but keeps that assertive side that aang lacked

the villans seem to be much more intresting this season then telegraphed villan 101 from last season

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
LobsterFeng said:
Why do her like her? I honestly have hard time finding any redeeming qualities from her she drives me crazy most of the time.
Can't speak for them, but I like her because she actually seems like a person dealing with difficult decisions instead of a messiah fighting Hitler who gets the universe to bend over backwards so he doesn't have to compromise his morals at all ever.

Besides that, I like that she's confident and headstrong the way a person with incredible power would be. I like that she gets angry at the unreasonable people around her who won't shut up. I like that she's belligerent and quick to fight because that's a character flaw that comes from her personality. And I like that she gets a little down when she feels like she just did this great thing and yet everyone is more concerned about how inconvenienced they are by the new age.

I especially like how she has room to actually grow instead of Aang, whose growth was getting a little more serious and confident. And, let us not forget that Korra is someone that you could suggest isn't the greatest parent in the world and the fans wouldn't flip out because how dare you suggest Aang Korra wouldn't treat all his kids the same. Flaws makes characters better, not worse.
I think that's all well and good but what bugs me is her love life. She kissed Mako knowing he had a girlfriend after just having gone on a date with her brother. Then even though that's not okay it somehow ends up being okay at the end of season 1. Then in season 2 she does nothing but fight Mako even though he wasn't really doing anything bad. Then she pretended to not remember him breaking up with her. I just can't stand her when...actually, scratch my first post, I just can't stand the love triangle shit that the writers injected into the show because it makes all the characters unbearable to me. Other than that Korra is fine with me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You do know that it was only mere two weeks the time episode 1 of season 3 start after the end of season 2 right? That would be a huge character changed for that to happened in little time.
I just assume her headstrong personaility is pretty much a part of her just like Anng belief to never killed anyone even when his past selves saying killing the Fire Lord is justify.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Actually she already shown a huge amount of progression in the first half of the season 3 opener. The love triangle bullshit is over, the teen angst seems to have dimmed down and the only thing that remains is a somewhat headstrong attitude.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
I, for one, like the change in Villain(s?). Unalag wasn't a very interesting villain.

Even his kids were more interesting.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
All the times she's been like that have been completely justified. If this was the first half of season 2 I would agree with you, but as of right now she doesn't have the advantages the other avatars had, so her reacting the way she has been is completely reasonable. Also, did you actually watched the first three episodes? There are several times when she uses other means other than violence to solve her problems.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm convinced people are just butthurt that Korra isn't Aang.
Same here. I agree that she can be a bit impulsive. I'll even give that she hasn't grown much. But I still like her as a character, so it hardly bothers me.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

I like her.
Pretty much this. I like that Korra isn't just Aang 2.0 with a vagina. She's actually a person.

I liked Aang, but he was basically Jesus. Korra's actually human and her character flaws make sense. She knew she was the Avatar from a young age, but was forced to be locked away by the White Lotus. She couldn't ever go out, meet new people, or enjoy life. She was cut off from the world, but also told how awesome her power and responsibility is. And despite that, she actually WANTS to help people. And that's what makes her likeable to me.

Besides, she grew a ton in the season opener, which is only two weeks after the Season Two Finale. I really have to wonder if the OP even watched the same show. Sounds more like he decided going in that he hated her and ignored all her moments that showed how much she actually has grown. Like her interactions with Asami, or actually trying to connect to her previous lives for advice.

Yes, Korra has a short fuse. But every instant of her going off were reasonable. The President started blaming her for the cities problems in a news conference and she got mad at that, but she was being rather apologetic before. A slacker turned Air Bender was literally saying no to everything because he could and she got frustrated and upset (even his mom seemed upset). The Earth Queen sent her on an errand to collect tax money that she probably didn't deserve and then lied about airbenders in the city to her face, and Korra got angry.

Each of those were valid reasons to get mad. Hell, even Aang got mad when he was in a similar situation in Ba Sing Se.

Beyond that, I felt that all the characters were put to good use in this season. Even a few who came off a bit wasted last Season, like Bolin.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
LifeCharacter said:
Though I will disagree with the assertion that Mako didn't do anything bad in season 2, considering he betrayed Korra by telling the president about her plan, which prevented her from liberating the south with Iroh's fleet and pretty much ending the plot right then and there.
You realize what Korra was planning with Iroh in utilizing his fleet without the authorization of the President would amount to a coup, right? If anything, Korra should have been banished or imprisoned and Iroh court marshaled.