I'd Like my Legend of Korra, minus the Korra please

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
So, just watched the episodes of Season 3 of Legend of Korra....and I'm seriously wondering if they're ever going to let her actually grow as a character.

Seriously, 3 seasons and she's still just as angry, headstrong, belligerent, and also mopey? Seriously guys? I'm all for female characters as strong characters, but come on, 3 seasons and she's had no growth. She still solves (or tries to) everything by smashing it or burning it. She's as gullible as a 4 year old...actually no, I take that back, one of the young air bender children, the girl with the yellow poof balls in her hair is about that age, and she's shown more skepticism and cunning than the Avatar.

Once again, it's a season where so far, I openly cringe in any scene that involves the main character. The rest of the cast is great (with some minor annoying bits), but good grief Korra!! She's just so....gaaaah!! *pulls out hair*
YOu and I must've seen very different season 3 openings because I didn't see any of that really. She didn't try to solve everything with her fists. She's actually trying to talk and think things through. Her chemistry with Asami is pretty awesome. Especially the fact that both girls seem to just be messing with Mako because he doesn't quite know what to do with himself and they are both over it and moving on. Korra has finally developed and I think it is the fact that the writers finally got to settle into a groove because this season wasn't sprung on them like season 2 was after they had pretty much finished production on season 1 which was meant to be the only entry.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Saltyk said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You know, I heard about Korra complaints before I started, and before I finished The Last Airbender.

Now having caught up and having watched all the episodes of season 3 so far, I'm convinced people are just butthurt that Korra isn't Aang.

I like her.
Pretty much this. I like that Korra isn't just Aang 2.0 with a vagina. She's actually a person.

I liked Aang, but he was basically Jesus. Korra's actually human and her character flaws make sense. She knew she was the Avatar from a young age, but was forced to be locked away by the White Lotus. She couldn't ever go out, meet new people, or enjoy life. She was cut off from the world, but also told how awesome her power and responsibility is. And despite that, she actually WANTS to help people. And that's what makes her likeable to me.

Besides, she grew a ton in the season opener, which is only two weeks after the Season Two Finale. I really have to wonder if the OP even watched the same show. Sounds more like he decided going in that he hated her and ignored all her moments that showed how much she actually has grown. Like her interactions with Asami, or actually trying to connect to her previous lives for advice.

Yes, Korra has a short fuse. But every instant of her going off were reasonable. The President started blaming her for the cities problems in a news conference and she got mad at that, but she was being rather apologetic before. A slacker turned Air Bender was literally saying no to everything because he could and she got frustrated and upset (even his mom seemed upset). The Earth Queen sent her on an errand to collect tax money that she probably didn't deserve and then lied about airbenders in the city to her face, and Korra got angry.

Each of those were valid reasons to get mad. Hell, even Aang got mad when he was in a similar situation in Ba Sing Se.

Beyond that, I felt that all the characters were put to good use in this season. Even a few who came off a bit wasted last Season, like Bolin.
I wouldn't quite make the Jesus analogy with Aang. After all he wasn't exactly in a rush to save the world and ran away out of sheer fear of what was about to be placed on his shoulders. By the end of season 1 he more or less accepted what he had to do. It was kind of a tried and true destiny narrative though for the first series but the creators wrote it so well I don't think anybody cared.

I'll also agree that Korra and Asami just kind of messing with Mako is awesome. They've both moved on and are comfortable with where things are at now that it is all out in the open while he's the only one who still doesn't know what to do with himself.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The only character that I have ever really had an issue with is Mako, mostly because his entire personality seems to revolve around "I like Korra, but I also like Asami. But I can only be with one." and now it's "I have been with Korra and I have been with Asami. But now I cannot be with either", which is a fairly nice change of pace for the show, mostly because the only thing that I have ever disliked about the entire show was the love triangle that was constantly shoved in my face.

It seems like I am in the minority when it comes to how I feel about Korra as a character, but I really like her. She seems sassy, and even though she has a really short temper, whenever she does get angry, it is justified. And even though that everybody criticises her for being head-strong, so what? Shes the Avatar, hell, even Aang was like that for a long time, but nobody criticised him for it. I've gotta agree with Daystar on this one, everyone just seems to be butthurt that Korra isn't Aang.

Also: Fuck Kai. He just seems like he is going to be super irritating as the series goes on, and a huge liability. Hopefully this gets better.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Beside the love triangle, I don't understand her reasoning behind joining the two worlds. She knows shit about spirits to begin with and suddenly decides that she, after so many generations of avatars, must do something different. Haven't watched season 3 though so maybe it will turn out just fine... it probably will, goddamit. I don't dislike her as a character besides these two points. Ending of the second season including deus ex mechina were shit though.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
I liked her in season 1, didn't like her in season 2.
Haven't watched the new episodes yet, but consensus seems to be they're good and that Korra has returned to being likable. So hopefully I can start liking her again.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
(Minor spoiler warning!)

I don't have a problem with the overall story, or even with how Korra is struggling with basically having to give a lot of people the finger for the greater good. (Or balance, in this case.) Anyone dealing with so much problems and opposition would be stressed and get a bit depressed in it's early stages. That being said, I don't like Korra's personality. She switches between emotions far too quickly, and she seems to hardly be able to come up with a plan without the advice and help of others.

Legend of Korra just feels less inspired as a whole. Like there were no plans to make a second series, but they did so anyway because of TLA's popularity. And I can see that being reflected in Korra herself. Though I have to admit, they did get the 'strong female lead' down pretty well. If only they would also let her come up with her own solutions a little more, like Aang used to to...-she's- the avatar after all.

For that matter, all of Legend of Korra feels...rushed. With Aang everything was given more time to put detail into and to develop. At times this meant that things went a little slowly, but I'd rather have that than a constant feeling of things being rushed. Plus season 3 so far feel very...generic. Or maybe predictable is a better word. When they talked about air benders coming back and going to find them I immediately thought "Oh, so most people will refuse and some misfits will want to join." And I wasn't far off so far. When Korra removed the vines with her water bending I thought "Of course it's not that easy." And indeed, they grew back only stronger a bit later. The thief kid saying he would turn over a new leaf, then stealing again soon after? Couldn't be more cliché. And the list goes on.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
They have... a lot of work to do, after season 2, but being optimistic, the only direction they can go is up. Korra is slowly improving as a character, I'm glad they put an end to that horrible love triangle with Mako and I hope they don't ever pick it back up (it was her decision to end it, bluntly, plain and simple and that's admirable for her). Actually when the president was giving her such a hard time, I was wondering why she didn't just do the Korra thing and give him the middle finger.

The most promising thing I saw in season 2 was the special in the spirit realm, so I do hope they bring more of that into season 3. Right now it doesn't seem like it has the proper amount of chaos I imagine merging two realms and forcing two completely different life forms to live together would have. I also hope they give Bolin treatment more like they did in season 1, when he was actually a character instead of a walking bad comedy act. I love though what they're doing with Bumi.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
You know, I heard about Korra complaints before I started, and before I finished The Last Airbender.

Now having caught up and having watched all the episodes of season 3 so far, I'm convinced people are just butthurt that Korra isn't Aang.

I like her.
Sorry no, it's not that she isn't Aang. I don't care that she isn't Aang, I care that she isn't written well, and that they keep resetting her development over and over. I like female characters. I want female lead characters, hell its one reason I like ATLA so much was Toph and Kitara, but Korra is just a whiney, angsty teenager. I didn't mind it too much in season 1 because it was implied it was a time for her to grow and become something stronger and more profound. But she didn't, she just didn't. In season 2, it's like they hit the reset button. And I understand that apparently they had a lot of problems in development because of Nick giving them issues, but the final result was a show where the weakest part was the main character. The show can tell me that she's growing, and becoming a good person and all that jazz, but them telling me that, and it being evident in her actions are 2 very different things. She's no different from how she was in the first 2 seasons. Maybe this will change, and become more evident as the season progresses, and I REALLY hope it does, because I want to like Korra, but so far, I just can't.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I agree fully. The problem isn't that she isn't Aang. The problem is that she's an over emotional brat. Really hard to relate to her when she's fury crying at every little thing and being all broody when as far as I can tell, her life has been pretty damn peachy with personal guards and the best training there is.

Being broody that you're not as great as you thought you were doesn't make a compelling hero. She's very close to the character type of a villain. For every step she takes forward she seems to take an equal step backwards. She's never stopped being that little brash child. Something about arrogance that rubs me wrong. When they fail, there is always that secret pleasure combined with a hope that they'll learn from that failure to not be so arrogant in the future. Why would I enjoy watching an arrogant brash asshole that smashes everything in her past with only concern for herself and her goals?

Maybe she'll grow into someone I care about. But for right now she is an active detraction from the series. I was really hoping they were going to make her a badass like the Koyoshi (sp?) warriors but they just combined the two worst qualities to combine. Utter incompetence and arrogant bullheadedness. I never thought I'd see a female lead from this particular team serve as a mockery foil of jokes about women. I am only giving the team the benefit of the doubt because of their strong female characters in the original series.

TheAsterite

Aug 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

I like her.
Because no one could ever have a legitimate differing opinion from yours.

Please get over yourself.

Dec 14, 2009
TheAsterite said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I like her.

Did I say all people?

Clearly I didn't, but hey, it's fun to be passive aggressive, huh?

TheAsterite

Aug 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Did I say all people?

I apologize, Korra really is the perfect show all the fans claim it is.

Edit: Korra hasn't changed at all, and honestly she should have known that merging the spirit and real world would have consequences. They were separated for a reason, but nope, Korra knows everything.

Dec 14, 2009
TheAsterite said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Did I say all people?

I apologize, Korra really is the perfect show all the fans claim it is.

Edit: Korra hasn't changed at all, and honestly she should have known that merging the spirit and real world would have consequences. They were separated for a reason, but nope, Korra knows everything.
No worries.

I get why some people don't like her, she's flawed, but that's what makes her interesting.

Aang was awesome, but damn if the writers didn't bullshit it so that he never had to go against his naive moral code.

TheAsterite

Aug 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
No worries.

I get why some people don't like her, she's flawed, but that's what makes her interesting.

Aang was awesome, but damn if the writers didn't bullshit it so that he never had to go against his naive moral code.
Being a pacifist isn't naive, it's generally much harder to do. Aang had to actually work for his victories.

The problem people have isn't that she's flawed, it's that everything just gets handed to her on a silver platter. Needs to learn airbending to save her bff? Just punch the air and she'll magically get it. Gonna kill herself because she lost her bending powers? Don't worry, past Aang will come and give them back. Needs to defeat big bad guy? Korra magically poofs Rava back into existence.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
I'm not seeing any problems with Korra.. she's a great character, and i think she's better then Aang was in a lot of ways...

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
I'm not seeing any problems with Korra.. she's a great character, and i think she's better then Aang was in a lot of ways...
Please feel free to elaborate in some way. I mean, she's easier to look at if that's what you're saying. But hard to listen to or enjoy as a character in any way. She's an Avatar Zuko with less competence (hard to do) and less redeemable qualities including lacking a reasonable reason to be so damn broody.

Daystar Clarion said:
TheAsterite said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I like her.

Did I say all people?

"I'm convinced people are just butthurt..."

Yep, you did, even without actually saying all. It's implied when you use an ambiguous pronoun with no other qualifier. The implication in this example being that anyone who doesn't share your opinion of Korra must be butthurt. Don't be butthurt if the people you called butthurt get offended at that sentence.

Poisonteeth

Jul 1, 2014
I have to disagree, well I can understand the issues that some people have with Korra but I think they overstate them because she is not the protagonist they want.

When people say she's too emotional, you all know she's a teenager that has been locked away most of her life right?

she's too headstrong and impulsive! ah do you remember Toph, Katara, Zuko, Mai, Jet, Azula, and all the other headstrong characters in the original show? Did we ever complain about there headstrong natures?

She's too Angsty...once again Teenager, locked away, every other character in the original show.

Her relationships are unhealthy. say it with me now: "Teenager Locked away"

In the end people try too hard to compare the original show to the new, Korra is not Aang, she was not raised by pacifist monks, she was never afraid of the power she was born with and she doesn't turn the other cheek when confronted.

Season 2 was likely the worst season of the series in general, but it was also under the harshest deadlines from the producers and the greatest demands of the fanbase so what did you expect would happen? It was still by no means a bad show and it expanded upon the lore of the Avatar in so many great ways. And the ending made sense as Korra is attempting to undo the imbalance created by Wann by separating the two worlds to begin with.

Season three has been great so far, and I hope it can keep it up.

TheAsterite

Aug 15, 2009
LifeCharacter said:
It's not that hard to be a pacifist when the world bends over backwards to make sure that you never have to compromise your morals.

The problem people have isn't that she's flawed, it's that everything just gets handed to her on a silver platter. Needs to learn airbending to save her bff? Just punch the air and she'll magically get it. Gonna kill herself because she lost her bending powers? Don't worry, past Aang will come and give them back. Needs to defeat big bad guy? Korra magically poofs Rava back into existence.
As opposed to Aang?

Enemies putting Aang in a bind? Avatar state shows up and wrecks absolutely everything. Aang doesn't know what to do or where to go? Roku shows up to tell him. Aang needs to find an earthbending teacher? A fucking swamp tells him who to find. Aang gets mortally wounded? Spirit water. Aang needs a firebending teacher? Guess who just decided to betray the Fire Nation for that very purpose. Aang has to decide whether to save the world or keep his vows? Turtle power!
Aang needs to learn earth bending? Needs to actually learn to stand his ground like the technique requires. Aang needs to learn fire bending? Harms Katara the first time. Zuko can't teach him (who also has his own arc, if you were actually watching the show), he lost it himself. Aang wants to stop Ozai during the eclipse? Fails. Aang needs to find an earthbending teacher? Is seen in a vision, they resort to kidnapping Toph (even though she leaves of her own free will) from her parents for the greater good. Aang gets mortally wounded? Can't enter avatar state until the finale. Aand enters avatar state out of anger? Can't differentiate between friend or foe.

But please tell me how Korra is not a whiny character who doesn't actually learn anything.