id Software Pondering a Quake Reboot

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
id Software Pondering a Quake Reboot

id Software mastermind John Carmack says that the next Quake - if it happens - could be very much like the first Quake [http://www.amazon.com/QUAKE-Windows/dp/B000H1AGA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308326078&sr=8-1].

The Quake franchise is a funny one. The original game was a mish-mash of nearly random levels and enemies held together by one of the flimsiest excuses for a story ever conceived. Quake 4 [http://www.amazon.com/Quake-2-Pc/dp/B000028U28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308326116&sr=8-1], the last in the series, brought back the Strogg invasion, following directly on the tail of Quake 2.

And now it sounds like Quake 5 - which, for the record, is not currently in the works - could end up looking a lot like Quake 1. "We went from the Quake 2 and the Quake 4 Strogg universe. We are at least tossing around the possibilities of going back to the bizarre, mixed up Cthulhu-ish Quake 1 world and rebooting that direction," Carmack told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-17-john-carmacks-vision-for-the-next-quake]. "We think that would be a more interesting direction than doing more Strogg stuff after Quake 4. We certainly have strong factions internally that want to go do this."

But Carmack also acknowledged that memories of Quake, which is 15 years old and heralded a technological revolution in gaming, have probably been filtered by the passage of time. "The way I think about some of those things, and I actually get into arguments with my wife about this, who loved the original Quake game, I looked at the original Quake as this random thing, because we really didn't have our act together very well," he continued. "But because it was so seminal about the 3D world and the internet gaming, it's imprinted on so many people. It made such an impact in so many ways. Memory cuts us a lot of slack."

id's current project is Rage [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Pc/dp/B003ICGL7I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308326388&sr=8-3], which is due out on October 4 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Feb 13, 2008
You know the last place I saw Quake 4?

Bargain Bucket in PC World for a fiver. A month after release. Fifty copies.

Even Unreal sussed out that that boat has sailed.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
So, here's a fun fact, Quake 2 was never planned to be a follow-up to Quake, but rather it's own franchise. Id couldn't get the legal whatsamajigs for the name they wanted though, so it became Quake 2 instead.

Interesting, no?

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
Please develop it first on the console and screw PC testing for a shoddy console port.Then explain to the media that it's the correct way to do it.Also Quake 4 was a flop please don't repeat that error either.Otherwise year I'd really like to see another Quake game.With an updated Arena for MP.That'd be win.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:

One month? $5? Ouch...

OT: Quake Live is all we need. Leave the franchise be.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008

Yeah, I still saw Special Editions around in certain game stores last year. That game did not do well. (Personally I'd even pre-ordered it, and have never regretted it since I thought it took the best parts from Doom 3 while still staying close to its roots.)

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Huh, barely even remembered that Quake 4 existed. And it's not on Steam, so that probably explains why I never bought it, even on sale.
A shame, really. I thought there was a decent gleam of potential from the bits of story Quake 2 presented. id really needs to figure out a name for the Quake 1 and Quake 2 universes and just split the franchise.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Just let it be, these games only excelled in gameplay that everyone forgot how to make, so how about you let us keep some good memories and not shit on them.

There is plenty of IP ideas out there, just make those instead.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010

You know who developed Quake 4?

Raven Software.

And I enjoyed Quake 4 immensely.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Quake 4 was a pretty decent shooter. My favourite of the lot, actually, which may not be saying much since I don't have any great love for the franchise, but still. It wasn't a bad game by any stretch, perhaps just a bit overhyped. Personally, I'd rather see more Strogg story in the next Quake that a return to the randomness of the original, unless id is going to put some real effort into making some more than just a collection of random, meaningless levels and monsters.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009

Dude, have you played Quake 4?

It was a awesome game, seriously, it's worth the fiver. It's even worth a tenner! If you were disappointed by DNF, get Quake 4. 10 weapons, 1 of which fires lighting, another which fire heat-seaking nails, another which creates small black holes.

It was a great game, definitely didn't deserve that fate...

Andy Chalk said:
Quake 4 was a pretty decent shooter. My favourite of the lot, actually, which may not be saying much since I don't have any great love for the franchise, but still. It wasn't a bad game by any stretch, perhaps just a bit overhyped. Personally, I'd rather see more Strogg story in the next Quake that a return to the randomness of the original, unless id is going to put some real effort into making some more than just a collection of random, meaningless levels and monsters.
Exactly, it's a great escape from all the modern fps'. Seriously, who needs iron-sight aiming anyway? Half-life didn't have it, neither did this.

Feb 13, 2008
vrbtny said:

I always preferred Quake 2, but that's mostly because of a proper BFG. 3/4 just suffered from the "grab rocket launcher and spray".

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
oh I wish it's true

always wanted a true sequel to Quake

maybe explaining the origins of Wrack and if Ranger escaped the vortex of eternity (from Dissolution of Eternity)

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
It will be interesting to see which way they will go with the gameplay. If the new Serious Sam retains its old gameplay and does better than the new Duke Nukem, they might consider using the old style of gameplay in favour of bringing back the old school gamers.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
sephiroth1991 said:
It will be interesting to see which way they will go with the gameplay. If the new Serious Sam retains its old gameplay and does better than the new Duke Nukem, they might consider using the old style of gameplay in favour of bringing back the old school gamers.
Old Style of gameplay?

You mean fast-paced FPS action?
There really hasn't been much of that in years, now that I think of it...
I was always terrible at fast paced games, so I never really noticed.

But yeah, if they made a hypothetical future Quake a vehicle for a style of FPS that hasn't been seen much in a long time, it prolly would get some decent attention.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
vrbtny said:

I always preferred Quake 2, but that's mostly because of a proper BFG. 3/4 just suffered from the "grab rocket launcher and spray".
Wha? I never did, I just grabbed the fully modded Shotgun and Assault Rifle and laid into some bad-guys.... endulged in the lighting gun a bit as well.