Idaho School Shooting

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Female shooter? Not unheard if, but quite unusual.

Yeah, but it's not their gun that kills innocent people, they're one of the responsible gun owners, it's them other ones making them look bad and they are greatly exaggerated by the leftish media space lizards anyway.

Less flippantly, I'd say it's legitimately hard to keep guns away from your kids if they want to get them, especially if you have a bazillion of them. Which, c'mon, you don't need to have.
You're right about it being rare, but not unheard of. One example that immediately jumps to mind is Brenda Ann Spencer, who inspired the song "I Don't Like Mondays".

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I get that guns are cool and manly, but it's really not that hard to make your gun inoperable for a child and still have them be cool and manly.
1. It's actually not that hard for a kid to figure out how to operate a gun if they are paying attention when daddy is playing with his toys.
2. If they actually disabled and secured the gun, it wouldn't be immediately available for them to Stand Their Ground and proactively engage in self defense at the drop of a hat, at the slightest provocation. So the gun will often be ready to go, and they just assume their child is too clueless to understand it, assuming it's not situation #3.
3. They've probably fucking taught their kid how to use it, because 'Murica, and you're never too young to learn how to use a gun! I don't know if this family is like that, though given where they live it wouldn't shock me, but there are plenty of gun loving chucklefucks out there, that happily share on social media, their toddlers, being shown how to use weapons. Praising them as shit like "The next generation of true patriots!" and all that shit.

Everything is hard if you're stupid and lazy.
Kids are more intelligent and creative than we often give them credit for.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
General responses, thank you for your heart felt replies. She was not hurt, but the lockdown drills proved their worth that day.
Also 2 of my fingers are literally tied up after seeing the dermatologists so a little more half hazard in my typing than usual

However since I still have friends there in Rigby and spent a few years living there, here are my 2 cents on the comments.

@Burnhardt

I am on the same page, and given most school shooters are more often the bullies instead of the bullied, it will be interesting to see what she turns out to be. As is since this is

@Xprimentyl

I lean closer to the gun ownership side of things, but I am also a person that the within reason clause that is unofficially part of every amendment, and well regulated part of the second amendment means this is stupid and going to get someone killed. I have to have a license to drive a car. I should have one to wield a fire arm

As for gun regulations, stricter punishments might be needed, and following the guidelines as is might also be needed. Had the latter actually happened on a reasonable and standardized way, Virginia tech would not be associated with tragedy.

And alot oof people should not have guns, period. A classics from the old west can still kill really good, as is what I can spend $600 at Bass Pro shop today, and there ae people that should not be around either. People that cannot handle the responsibility of ownership of a firearm, those that lack the maturity and even the most basic level of human empathy should not have one either.

@Dirty Hipsters

Sit down, this might take a while.

Idaho is a gun state. Most of the population is conservative, most of them are country folk (if you had zone of truth on any given part of the population they would admit their national religion was first Rodeo, second BYU College sports, then you get to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).

Hunting and outdoorsy stuff is a way of life, and that means alot of gun culture. Thankfully most of the people I knew up there were responsible gun owners. When one of my relatives in the area shot himself in the hand because he wasn't paying attention while he was prepping his gun for cleaning, he got endless ribbing for it for months for it.

At the same time there are alot of conspiracy theorists up there. Alot of alt right groups. Alot of anti vaxers. At least one Idahoan was proudly part of the insurrection on Washington. Ruby Ridge, where there was a major shoot out between law enforcement and one of these preppers, is about an 8 and half hour drive from Rigby, but its still in Idaho. I have not met any Neo Nazis up there, to which I am thankful, but I have seen plenty of confederate flags waving.

So we have at one end, a group of gun enthusiasts that respect the fire arm and teach their kids this is a tool, not a toy and should never be treated as such. That Assume its always loaded, never point it at anything you do not wish to destroy are sacrosanct.

On the other, government bad, must have an insurrection, tinfoil hat idiots that would be right up Alex Jones' ally, and make the bleach guy in Godzilla vs Kong look mentaly stable.

However the next issue from talking with people back there will come from if the kid came from a Idahoan family or a Californian one. If from the state, or one of the surrounding mid west ones, there will be alot of "what the hell is wrong with you, did you not teach your child better!" If from California, and Idahoans typicly hate Californians for moving in, bringing their baggage, and driving up the housing prices, I wouldn't be surprised if saying if that soured my home State's reputation and that of her people.

I still remember moving up here and having gotten my brother settled, that I thought I use my extra time to help out at the tiny local library. Everything was going ok until the woman there asked where I was from. Saying I was from CA might as well have been "I sacrifice small children to our lord Satan." She took it THAT badly. Even at church (Mormon here), people were watching us like hawks because apparently everyone from my neck of the woods are heathens. It was nice to pop that bubble, but it was still a pain in the neck.

And as The Rogue Wolf more or less said: we might be dealing less safe and sane and more Elmer Fud

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
3. They've probably fucking taught their kid how to use it
Eh, I think that can be justified on the assumption that the kids are going to find the gun anyway, so you should teach them that it's serious business and how not to kill themselves. Also heard it argued that kids are more likely to want to play with the gun they know about but is hidden, than one they've handled and been given the safety talk about.

Not saying that is correct, just that it doesn't seem unreasonable, based on the assumption that there's kids and guns in the house. Teaching them to kill for America, or that it's a toy...no.

Reactions: Leg End

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
@Thaluikhain
Again, the gun culture there. People will routinely have guns in hiding similar as was shown in the show Picard with the Romulan Black Opps attacked his home in case they have to defend their home. Not all of them, but enough to be worried. And this is with people I would consider reasonable in any other circumstance, so imaging the naner naner nut cases.

@happyninja42

Preaching to the quire I am afraid. Kids are smart, but adults seem to equate inexperience and lack of world weariness with stupidity. Granted these same adults need a kid to figure out their high tech phone, and I beleive most of us have seen kindergarten age and younger kids figure out how to overcome the child locks on door handles.

I remember looking up something for a class years ago and found a video of a 11 year old kid showing how he got through a basic gun lock with a icepick. It took him a minute of fiddling with it, and he said it took him just ten to figure it out.

I also have no problems with parents teaching their kids about guns. My Dad did with me, but the problem is when they don't teach you to respect it, to not take its power lightly. As some one who likes them enough to have "shoot AK-47 and Tommy gun" on my bucket list, I understand its the closest to a WMD I ever want to get to. The first thing I want to get before I get a firearm is a good gunsafe for that reason (that and marithoned a 14 season true crimes series that went over past crimes, you won''t be surprised how often people get murdered with their own weapons)

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I get that guns are cool and manly, but it's really not that hard to make your gun inoperable for a child and still have them be cool and manly.
Some people tend to be sloppy / disorganised / chaotic / careless and some people own guns. Inevitably there is an overlap between these two groups.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Some people tend to be sloppy / disorganised / chaotic / careless and some people own guns. Inevitably there is an overlap between these two groups.
Not to mention, you only have to really badly get things wrong just once to give your kids the opportunity to make at least local headlines.

Reactions: thebobmaster

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Yeah, that's why I like to focus on the well regulated part of the 2nd amendment. Too many people that have a "Hay ya'll, check this out" attitude/famous last words.
Again, I like guns, but speaking to the human species as a whole: Some of ya'll scare me, and I literally rode the short bus.

Because the right to own guns in the US, is not conditional on owning and using them responsibility.
Agree with that statement. Then again, just because the first amendment protects your ability of free speech doesn't protect you from hatespeach, threats, incitement of riots, and other criminal activities and your own stupidity, the second doesn't protect you from being a fool either. People just forget that fact.

Not to mention, you only have to really badly get things wrong just once to give your kids the opportunity to make at least local headlines.

Why I said its the closest to a WMD I want to get to when they are at their worse. Add 24 news tends to practically glorify these monsters, it inevitably inspires the next creep with a chip on their shoulder.