Idaho School Shooting

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Still a little in Shock, by my niece's middle school was a place of another school shooting.

Yesterday, May 6th, as the school day was starting, a six grader pulled a handgun from her backpack and opened fire.

3 people were hit, a custodian and 2 students; all three are expected to make a full recovery, although one may need surgery.

A teacher managed to get the gun away from the perpetrator, restrain her (I heard it was something like talking her down and then hugging her, but some interpret the wording as tackling her to the ground).

The investigation is still in the early stages to get a motive or even to know what kind of handgun it was.

Rigby is a small town of about 4000 people. Its claim to fame is the birth place of television, and the most exciting thing to happen there outside of rodea (a state religion in and off it self there) was a buffalo getting loose and just chilling in a neighborhood.

ANd while there is a bullying problem the size of Texas there, this is still the last place most people would think it would happen in. Of course most schools could say the same.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
ANd while there is a bullying problem the size of Texas there, this is still the last place most people would think it would happen in. Of course most schools could say the same.
Isn't that the standard response to a school shooting happens in the US?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What's the world coming to? Meanwhile, here in Texas, our governor is trying to sign into legislature a law allowing people to carry guns in public without a license. I swear, I wish I could leave this country sometimes.

Sorry that this tragedy hit so close to home for you if it had to hit at all. I'm glad your niece is safe; hopefully, if nothing else, this serves as yet another in a string of cautionary tales that this nation needs to heed to make the changes necessary to control its gun violence.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Meanwhile, here in Texas, our governor is trying to sign into legislature a law allowing people to carry guns in public without a license. I swear, I wish I could leave this country sometimes.
My state already did, a few years back. Open carry for anyone over 18, concealed for anyone over 21. No license required. We still offer a concealed carry license because we have deals with other states where they accept our license. It changed very little. Amusingly, a concealed carry license is also a valid for of ID for our voter ID law.

to make the changes necessary to control its gun violence.
What changes do you think those are?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
What changes do you think those are?
I honestly don't know. I don't own a gun, neither do I want to, but a lot of people on social media have been posting pictures of their personal caches of weapons to spite President Biden's quest for stricter gun control laws, and it alarms me considering the swath of mass shootings we've had recently.

At 41, I've never "needed" a gun in my life; I can't imagine why anyone would "need" dozens of them let alone those of high enough capacity as to bring down a herd of buffalo in minutes. All these mass shootings, where were the Cletuses and their assault rifles to play hero and mitigate the death tolls the way they want to pretend their desire for guns permits? All these people who think they should be allowed to walk around with bazookas while we've got 6th graders showing up to school with pistols, I mean, get your head out of your own fucking ass! Our forefathers* were dealing with muskets, not fully-automatic, high-powered weapons. We've no threat from a tyrant (anymore) and our independence is not on the line; your "right to bear arms" today compares very little to what it meant over 200 years ago.

BUT... if you want to have the freedom to own a personal arsenal, register each item of your inventory, and yourself, and be prepared to answer in court when one of your lawfully-owned weapons kills an innocent. If you want the right, the other side of that bill is culpability.

*EDIT: MY forefathers were slaves, so they didn't exactly have a say in the matter, and I highly doubt had they had a say, "owning guns" would have been high on their list of priorities given their circumstances...

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm reminded of the bit in "Who Is America", when Sacha Baron Cohen convinced various American public figures to promote arming schoolchildren (including 2 Republican congressmen, and 2 more former Republican congressmen).

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Why is it so hard for people to keep their guns away from their children?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
In the words of Jim Jeffries none of these guy nuts are reading padlock monthly. They have guns because they think guns are cool and manly.
I get that guns are cool and manly, but it's really not that hard to make your gun inoperable for a child and still have them be cool and manly.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I get that guns are cool and manly, but it's really not that hard to make your gun inoperable for a child and still have them be cool and manly.
I mean maybe for you and I, but for millions of gun nuts the operation part IS what makes it cool and manly. You're asking someone who likes sharp knives to make their knives dull to keep their children safe. A dull knife isn't why they have them. Some people have guns and keep them loaded because they're paranoid about safety and think a loaded gun will keep them safe.
An inoperable/unloaded gun can't keep you safe.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
A baseball bat is way better as a home defense weapon than an AR-15, shotgun, or handgun.

Oftentimes some dumb college kid who forgot to call their parents came home early, and bang their dead due to some gun owner firing on them because they think it's like the movies, tv shows, and video games even.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I mean maybe for you and I, but for millions of gun nuts the operation part IS what makes it cool and manly. You're asking someone who likes sharp knives to make their knives dull to keep their children safe. A dull knife isn't why they have them. Some people have guns and keep them loaded because they're paranoid about safety and think a loaded gun will keep them safe.
An inoperable/unloaded gun can't keep you safe.
I'm not saying to make the gun totally inoperable. It's very easy to put a trigger lock or chamber lock on your gun to prevent kids from using them.

If you want to display your guns it's easy enough to have a locked display case.

Want to be able to access your gun quickly and easily while leaving it loaded? There's literally gun safes that have RFID bracelets or rings that you wear which will eject the gun straight into your hand when you reach for it.

It has never been easier to keep your gun away from kids.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
We're talking about people who think that any situation needing a firearm will become a quick-draw competition in front of the saloon at high noon, and that not having their gun at hand within a microsecond of deciding they need it will mean their wife and daughter(s) being defiled by criminal scum.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
We're talking about people who think that any situation needing a firearm will become a quick-draw competition in front of the saloon at high noon, and that not having their gun at hand within a microsecond of deciding they need it will mean their wife and daughter(s) being defiled by criminal scum.
Then their gun should be in a holster on their waist or within line of sight at all times...which would also prevent access by a child.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Female shooter? Not unheard if, but quite unusual.

BUT... if you want to have the freedom to own a personal arsenal, register each item of your inventory, and yourself, and be prepared to answer in court when one of your lawfully-owned weapons kills an innocent. If you want the right, the other side of that bill is culpability.
Yeah, but it's not their gun that kills innocent people, they're one of the responsible gun owners, it's them other ones making them look bad and they are greatly exaggerated by the leftish media space lizards anyway.

Less flippantly, I'd say it's legitimately hard to keep guns away from your kids if they want to get them, especially if you have a bazillion of them. Which, c'mon, you don't need to have.