Ideal partner: Smarter, dumber, or about on your level?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Trying my hand at one of these "who ya got" threads. Now with more gender-inclusiveness!

Some folks like to be with people who are smarter than they are, in hopes that that someone will bring out the best in their own intellect and make them smarter (I suppose. Can't say as I've been in this position myself, since a woman who's demonstrably smarter than me I tend to find intimidating and "out of my league".)

Other folks like to be with someone who's dumb as a sack of hammers but sweet as a bag of confectioner's sugar with a honey glaze and a candy coating. I fall into this category---in fact, I get along very well with the kinds of women who fall into the category previously mentioned. What can I say---if she's the type who makes up for a lack of intelligence with an abundance of "girlfriend features" (sexual, domestic, moral, or otherwise) I tend to fall hard. I'm naturally dominant---those sorts of girls tend to be naturally submissive.

And finally, there are the worthy adversaries---women who match me step for step, who never fall too far behind or get too far ahead. I call such women "friends", but curiously rarely get physically involved with them. I tend not to want to lose such women out of my life, since they're rare and valued (dumb chicks are a dime a dozen, but smart women? Priceless.) Sometimes, however, this causes problems when those bright women, happy to have a sparring partner of their own, get interested in me and I'm the one pulling the "don't want to ruin the friendship" card out (gender reversal!)

I'm not sure I want to know what it says about me that what I basically tell such women is "you don't want to date me, you're better than that" when it's all boiled down to its essence.

For Discussion! So, do you like your partners smarter, less smart, or about the same as your own intellectual level? And why? Discuss.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Broken Poll is Broken.

OT: Personally, I'd go for the level-intelligence. If I knew what was GOOD for me, I'd more than likely go for smarter, though. :S

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Hmm...

Don't care, to tell you the truth.

As long as they have commonsense and understand logic, that's all I need.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
In all honesty I have yet to meet any girls who were genuinely smarter than me. I'm not yet in college, though, so hopefully that will change soon...

DonSolo

Jan 12, 2011
About my level! But the real question you should be asking, "SHOULD SHE BE ABLE TO BEAT YOUR HIGH SCORE!?!?"

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I don't think I could be with someone more intelligent than me. My ego disdains it.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
DeadSp8s said:
I would prefer the same. Too smart and she would judge me for playing video games instead of faggy reading. However, if she was smarter and not a judgmental ***** whore, I wouldn't really care. Slightly dumber, I'd feel good about. Much dumber, no thanks.

This works for everyone. /thread
In your case, anything beyond "slightly dumber" and you'd have to get her away from her social worker at the state Department of Mental Retardation. You could learn all about such things but that would involve "faggy reading". I hope for your sake that was sarcasm.

/zing[footnote]Moderator Edit: Thread handled by Kuliani.[/footnote]

Gruevy

Jan 7, 2011
If I already thought someone was dumb, there's no chance I would ever consider a relationship with them.

Otherwise, it has more to do with personality than anything else. Some people are impulsive and hot-headed, but I wouldn't call them dumb at all, just wired differently.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I dont really care tbh, as long as i like the person and she likes me then i couldnt care who the smarter one is

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Smarter.
Unfortunately, the one I met as a horny teenager who qualified got away after one brief tryst... should have expected it, considering the hundreds of miles separating us.
Anyway... thanks to some formative experiences, I don't do partnerships. We use each other and move on. I like 'em to be smart enough to realize that while not being smart enough to really get much out of me.

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
There is this weird recurring notion that I find kind of creepy about the Escapist. It sounds like you are looking for a new dog to own. Do I want my partner to be smarter or "dumber" than me? Wow. I don't care. As long as I can hold a conversation and (more importantly) as long as I can fall in love with them then the rest is irrelevant.

Some "stupid" people I know are incredibly beautiful people and some of the best company I could ever hope to have. Same goes for some "smarter" people. Something I definitely would not like in a parter, is the type that goes around judging other people's intelligence.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Slightly 'dumber', for a direct way of putting it. I like being able to teach people things, but I'd still like someone who can hold an intelligent conversation.

Eadd

Apr 28, 2010
I'd like to say about my level
but to be honest I prefer to be the more intelligent one in the couple.
I have a bit of a superiority complex.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
I like someone who is at about my level or better in terms of dealing with relationships/other people/the world at large, and she is more than welcome to kick my ass intellectually in any other fields. I get quite a few people telling me how stupid they feel around me as it is. "To every man his specialty."

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Well, those choices suck (not really). I'll do what I'll usually do and take some sort of middle ground because I don't tend to stick to single choices and dislike extremes of any kind.

Of the girls I've liked, a couple were rather smart and I thought it made them awesome. Their being pretty was just a side bonus.

On the other hand, there's one who's not exactly dim, but she's not really a genius either. She's just fun personified. If she's happy and bubbly and just plain fun to be around, I don't think intelligence matters a lot. If she's happy, bubbly, fun, and smart, then intelligence an awesome bonus. I'm not extremely intellectual, just a bit geeky. I like reading and gaming and all that, and I enjoy discussing those things. If she has similar interests or if we can have fun discussions about stuff (not necessarily geeky stuff) then that's perfect.

Lastly, I really don't think I'd go out with a girl if she was plainly dumb. I don't think I find that very attractive. She could be my ideal vision of physical beauty, but if she was dumb as a rock then I wouldn't date her. Being less smart than me is perfectly fine, dumb is not.

SkyeNeko

Dec 30, 2010
same level. if hes stupid, i will be angry at him all the time. if hes smarter, ill be crying in my room at how inferior i feel.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
The smarter the better. As far as IQ tests can tell (yes, I know that's not very far), my intelligence falls in the highest 1/20. I know people who I consider to be a bit smarter than myself in general, but I don't think it's a realistic possibility that anyone would be so much smarter that we'd be incompatible as partners.

In the long term I doubt I could be with someone who was a ton dumber. Some gap is fine, but when the gap grows too large, they are essentially living in a much narrower world, and will never really understand you. You will be constantly condensing your thinking to their level in order to communicate. As the gap grows, even the simplification isn't enough and you just have to keep it to yourself or find someone else to talk to. I see this in all interaction. I think I could deal with the highest 1/4 or thereabouts.