id's Kevin Cloud On ...

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
id's Kevin Cloud On ...

"When I think back about the kind of stuff I was doing as a kid, whether it's drawing new characters for comic books, or writing up ideas for D&D adventures and stuff ? really this is sort of an extension of that. I just get a chance to do it at 42, which is pretty nice."

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
On some level, it warms my heart to know that the people at iD all played Dungeons & Dragons.

Ultimately, I'm a sucker for pen, paper, & polyhedral dice.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Archon said:
On some level, it warms my heart to know that the people at iD all played Dungeons & Dragons.

It goes deeper. David Kushner, in his book "Masters of Doom," suggests the infamous rift between John Carmack and John Romero may have actually begun over a game of D&D.

According to the story, Carmack had created a massive campaign which Romero, by misusing a powerful magical artifact, brought to an untimely end by destroying the entire world in which the campaign was set.

It's a fun tale. You'd think, for example, that Carmack could have simply allowed him to re-roll, or re-written the campaign, but to do so would have violated the spirit of the game, in which actions had consequences. So after months of playing, and with a lot of adventures still ahead of them, he ended the game. Portentous to say the least.

I highly recommend the book.

Cordelia

Jun 1, 2007
Archon said:

Who isn't?