If EA loses Star Wars games license, then who should have it?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Abomination said:
I don't want an Assassin's Creed game with a Star Wars coat of paint, I want them to use their skill with parkour and melee animations to make a Star Wars game.

For all its faults, Ubisoft has some great programmers working for it and I feel their approach to combat would be appreciated.
What, so I can deal with fucking Uplay? I think not. I didn't even buy Far Cry 5 almost entirely because it had Uplay dangling off it EVEN THOUGH IT'S POSTED ON STEAM AND THEY ALREADY HAVE TO PAY VALVE MONEY.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Abomination said:
I don't want an Assassin's Creed game with a Star Wars coat of paint, I want them to use their skill with parkour and melee animations to make a Star Wars game.

For all its faults, Ubisoft has some great programmers working for it and I feel their approach to combat would be appreciated.
What, so I can deal with fucking Uplay? I think not. I didn't even buy Far Cry 5 almost entirely because it had Uplay dangling off it EVEN THOUGH IT'S POSTED ON STEAM AND THEY ALREADY HAVE TO PAY VALVE MONEY.
I understand how Uplay is a completely pointless creature, but complaining about it is the epitome of First World Problems.

It adds nothing and is a waste of space, but it's like clipping your toe nails. Sure, you wish they didn't have to grow but that's the price of having toes on your feet... my analogy game is not strong here.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Adam Jensen said:
No single studio should have exclusive rights to make Star Wars games. Disney should give studios licenses on an individual basis and everyone should get an equal opportunity to create something based on Star Wars.
I just want a Single Player RPG of SWTOR with real time combat like Gears of War-esque Third Person Shooter Combat for Troopers/Blaster Users and Devil May Cry/Kingdom Hearts style Combat for Jedi/Sith/Lightsabre/Melee users.
Monolith or Rocksteady could pull off something like that. But it would be hilarious if WB had the rights to make a Star Wars game. And then there's Platinum games, obviously.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Abomination said:
I understand how Uplay is a completely pointless creature, but complaining about it is the epitome of First World Problems.

It adds nothing and is a waste of space, but it's like clipping your toe nails. Sure, you wish they didn't have to grow but that's the price of having toes on your feet... my analogy game is not strong here.
Oops. Forgot to reply.

Complaining about games in any way in general are the epitome of first world problems, so I have no idea why you brought that up.

Anyway though. Some people are willing to put up with Uplay, but honestly, Ubisoft has kept and will keep shoehorning it in until people make their voices heard with their wallets.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I say Nintendo..

It's not the best idea I admit. I'm more interested in the possibility than playing the end product.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Abomination said:
Take a page out of GamesWorkshop's book. Let that IP run free and suck up a few shitty titles in order to enjoy some greats.
... What?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_40,000_video_games

Expansions don't count. Out of 24 games, it's hard for me to even consider 5 of them as "good". Dawn of War 1 + 2, Space Marine, and... lol. Maybe some older titles at their time. I've heard good things about Space Hulk: Deathwing.

Have a committee enforce some quality control. A competent one, of course.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Naldan said:
Abomination said:
Take a page out of GamesWorkshop's book. Let that IP run free and suck up a few shitty titles in order to enjoy some greats.
... What?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_40,000_video_games

Expansions don't count. Out of 24 games, it's hard for me to even consider 5 of them as "good". Dawn of War 1 + 2, Space Marine, and... lol. Maybe some older titles at their time. I've heard good things about Space Hulk: Deathwing.

Have a committee enforce some quality control. A competent one, of course.
You forgot entirely about their other universe which has produced some amazing gems like Vermintide, Mordheim, and Total War Warhammer.

As for 40k there's also Battlefleet Gothic and the upcoming Inquisitor game.

Those are all more recent releases, far more good games than there have been total Star Wars games made recently under EA's banner.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
mysecondlife said:
I say Nintendo..

It's not the best idea I admit. I'm more interested in the possibility than playing the end product.
I'd buy a Star Wars/Advance Wars crossover.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
For a game with a strong story narrative, I'd go with Naughty Dog. With the Uncharted series and The Last of Us, they have proven they can make a very cinematic adventure game. I'll also echo Ubisoft, as they can make some pretty damn fun games, if they can just hold off on releasing it until they've worked all the bugs out.

And then I don't care who makes it, but give me a good X-Wing/Tie Fighter style space combat sim!!

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
JCAll said:
If there's still anyone there working on Star Fox, set them the task of resurrecting Rogue Squadron.

But that aside, I'd still rather see the GW approach. As shit as they are with their tabletop products, they're at least decent with the video games...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Platnium would probably do a good job. They've shown they can do combat well and Nier: Automata shows that someone with interesting ideas at the helm can make even the strangest stuff work.

I want to be a troll and suggest FROM Software. I can only imagine how....interesting....a FROM made SW game would be.

"What just happened?"
"Well, you either turned yourself into the force or became your own grandpa? It's a FROM game, it's hard to tell".
"What about all those people I tried to help?"
"They all went to prison for jaywalking because you talked to them"
*Goes to dig through the item descriptions for 20 hours*

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
No single studio should have exclusive rights to make Star Wars games. Disney should give studios licenses on an individual basis and everyone should get an equal opportunity to create something based on Star Wars.
The Games Workshop method of handling their IP? Where they sell snippets?

Can you really do that with Star Wars, however? If they effectively try to compartmentalize like that you may end up with a KotOR ... but you could also end up with a mess of shovelware.

And GW licenced videogames are more miss than hit, and Disney as a brand does not stomach failure.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Aerosteam said:
If I had to choose one, Bethesda. Because it seems they are the most inclined to make single player games out of all the Western AAA publishers.
I'd deal with some bugs if I could have a freeroam Fallout/Skyrim style game in the Star Wars universe.

Bethesda would be my dream, but honestly, no one publisher/developer should have the exclusive rights. Give Bethesda the rights to make a good freeroam game, give someone else the rights to make a space battle/TIE Fighter style game, give someone else the rights for a grand strategy (Empire at War style), that sorta thing.

And maybe don't give it back to EA ever.

EDIT:
JCAll said:
mysecondlife said:
I say Nintendo..

Hell yes.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
If Bathesda gets the rights, I'd like to see them have one of their FPS developers take a crack at resurrecting Dark Forces. Lets have Kyle Katarn go Doom Slayer on a Dark Trooper.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I'd love to see Obsidian tackle an Imperial Agent, espionage RPG along the lines of the Agent story from The Old Republic. Getting behind enemy lines, sabotage, tiptoeing around Sith Lords and Jedi investigations. It could be phenomenal.

Thinking on Sith/Jedi gameplay, I've always struggled in picking a developer that could do it justice. Hack and Slash would mean nerfing lightsabers; an RPG would take away from the frantic ballet of precision that is a lightsaber duel. I'm struggling to think of a time I've seen lightsaber combat done right. I'm still chewing on that one.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Another vote for nobody. An exclusivity deal is a really really really~infinity stupid idea no matter who Disney would give the Star Wars license to. Giving it to EA of all developers was one of those moments that is so incredibly stupid one can't believe it even while watching it happen.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Can't they just do what they did before Disney bought LucasArts? I.e. license the property out to whomever has an interesting/bankable idea?

I mean even before the deal went through an Angry Birds Star Wars game came out. My understanding is that it was quite good.

Although in the same year Star Wars Kinect was also released... So my choice is to do what they used to do, but exert more quality control.