If EA loses Star Wars games license, then who should have it?

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Some sort of rebirth of LucasArts would be nice. Considering Disney's resources and the amount of IPs they have under their belt - couldn't they afford to do in house game development?

But even when LucasArts was still active, they did give the license out to some other developers while publishing a number of other IPs.

If they had their own in house development and expertise though, maybe they could use that to better reign in third party devs being too apeshit.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Wings012 said:
Some sort of rebirth of LucasArts would be nice. Considering Disney's resources and the amount of IPs they have under their belt - couldn't they afford to do in house game development?

But even when LucasArts was still active, they did give the license out to some other developers while publishing a number of other IPs.

If they had their own in house development and expertise though, maybe they could use that to better reign in third party devs being too apeshit.
I would love to see LucasArts open again. But I see one problem, those resources you mentioned. Because they could easily afford to open a studio for in house game development. But that is faaaar too small potatoes for Disney to even bother with. They have PUBLISHER money. They could launch a publishing arm that could easily rival EA, Ubisoft... anyone really. And if they were going to get back into video games... I'm afraid that would be the direction they would go. And with the franchises they control, their Origin, their U-Play... could be the Steamkillers that that EA and Ubi wanted but could never achieve. They're launching their own streaming service to do the same thing with their movie and tv properties to compete with Netflix... I don't see them trying anything less with video games.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
It's Disney.
Why won't they just make their own studio?
They have the money to hire top people from the industry.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
I agree that it should go back to how it used to be, where many companies made many different star wars games. Still, if i had to choose a publisher, Paradox would be my choice, although i know that will never happen

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
CDProjekt could probably make an interesting combat system for a Star Wars, get the old Bioware Writers and you could get a new gem. I don't know who would be good for a multiplayer game, maybe Blizzard? But then they'd probably try to pull an EA also.

Vanilla ISIS said:
It's Disney.
Why won't they just make their own studio?
They have the money to hire top people from the industry.
They did have their own studio. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Interactive_Studios] It got closed as their games weren't that great and they couldn't seem to do anything but boring tie ins. Also Disney Infinity couldn't beat out skylanders or WiiU figures.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
They could do a Games Workshop and just throw the license at anyone who vaguely even thinks about asking for it, then just let the users sort through the no effort cash ins to find the gems.

Edit: Hah, this was already said like 3 times.

Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Adam Jensen said:
No single studio should have exclusive rights to make Star Wars games. Disney should give studios licenses on an individual basis and everyone should get an equal opportunity to create something based on Star Wars.
The Games Workshop method of handling their IP? Where they sell snippets?

Can you really do that with Star Wars, however? If they effectively try to compartmentalize like that you may end up with a KotOR ... but you could also end up with a mess of shovelware.

And GW licenced videogames are more miss than hit, and Disney as a brand does not stomach failure.
Since DoW3 didnt get much of a response from the fanbase, they're handing out the IP to any indie devs who want it, pretty much.